Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

rate for private esl lessons?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bertonneau

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: rate for private esl lessons? Reply with quote

Im in the Khobar. Dammam, Dhahran area and am looking at putting out some flyers about either single one-to-one or small group lessons. My target groups will be upper middle class and wealth Saudis to start and I will go from there. Can anyone tell me the going rate for these kinds of services in KSA? Thought I'd ask before I under or overprice my services. Any positive, productive information is welcomed.
lcanupp1964

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first reaction was the part about the flyers. I would be a little worried for you if you put out a ton of flyers all over the place like yard sale signs in the states. This might be a negative way to advertise you. Maybe I�m being a little paranoid, but I would always lean on the side of safety when living in this region.

If you still want to go with flyers, think about how you want people to contact you and other personal information you write. You could always set up a new email address just for these purposes.

Maybe a "word of mouth" approach might be wiser. For example, go to the place where you get your hair cut and tell the people there about your services. Ask them to give possible customers your newly set up email address.

To answer your question, I would recommend charging between 100SR and 150SR per person (per hour) and give discounts to small groups.
now in ksa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since most employers insist that you work exclusively for them flyers might well get you a final exit visa. Word of mouth is better and safer. I have friends do 150 sar an hour, I cba Very Happy
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better still... Consider printing business cards to hand out. There are biz card templates available (sheets of perforated cards); some are designed to be inexpensively printed using an inkjet printer. On one side of the card, put your name, title (e.g., "English Tutor" or "English Instructor"), credentials, nationality, and contact info. On the other side, include a short, bulleted list that summarizes your teaching services/specialties (e.g., business English, TOEFL prep, etc.) and number of years of TEFL experience. BTW, these cards are also useful when networking for other potential full-time teaching opportunities.

I don't teach privates on the side, but there certainly are opportunities to (discretely) do so. When I'm out and about shopping with a friend, it seems my American accent stands out and draws others to me. I've been approached numerous times by interested Saudi women to teach either them or their children. Even some of the staff where I work and at my housing frequently ask me to give English lessons.

Anyway, where I teach, there are plenty of opportunities to make extra money by taking on additional small classes or teaching via their distance learning program. You might check with your employer to see if such possibilities exist.
Barbaros

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: rate for private esl lessons? Reply with quote

bertonneau wrote:
Im in the Khobar. Dammam, Dhahran area and am looking at putting out some flyers about either single one-to-one or small group lessons. My target groups will be upper middle class and wealth Saudis to start and I will go from there. Can anyone tell me the going rate for these kinds of services in KSA? Thought I'd ask before I under or overprice my services. Any positive, productive information is welcomed.

Well, it will will depend on you qualifications, expertise, native-speaker or not native-speaker, and the level of service required.

The ranges for native speaker are:
50-100 SR/hr for high-school/college student
100 - 200 SR/hr non professional
200 - 400 SR/hr Professional expert

The range for non-native speakers are the above ranges divided by 2.

More information see this link:
http://www.saudilife.net/alphabets/21239-finding-the-right-english-teacher-in-saudi-arabia

Also, you have to check your contract for any clause which might prohibits you doing private lessons. If yes, then you have to take precautions not to violate the clauses of your contract.
I knew about an Egyptian teacher who was offering private lessons; later one of his students reported him to his employer. The Egyptian teacher was deported with a final exit visa!
Abdullah the Enforcer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abdullah sorry to hear about Barbaros bad experience. Was student the favorite of Barbaros? Did Barbaros get another job in Egypt?
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flyers a definite no-no. What you are doing is illegal. Distributing flyers is also illegal unleass you are registered.
Barbaros

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abdullah the Enforcer wrote:
Abdullah sorry to hear about Barbaros bad experience. Was student the favorite of Barbaros? Did Barbaros get another job in Egypt?

Barbaros had good experience in the Magic Kingdom, and now he is enjoying his life in the North of France.
Sorry to hear about the Egyptian, he got a job as a taxi driver in Cairo (similar to Cab driver in california Laughing).
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Barbaros now with the other "barbaroi"?
Barbaros

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Is Barbaros now with the other "barbaroi"?

No, Scot.
Barbaros is enjoying his life with Barbara Scotland in the North of France. Laughing
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deauville

????????????????????????????

Back to OP - do not do it. It will cause you grief and pain.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now in ksa wrote:
Since most employers insist that you work exclusively for them flyers might well get you a final exit visa. Word of mouth is better and safer. I have friends do 150 sar an hour, I cba Very Happy

I've seen some contracts that allow termination if you do outside work.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plumpy nut wrote:
now in ksa wrote:

I've seen some contracts that allow termination if you do outside work.

I've never seen a Gulf contract that didn't. Standard contracts ban outside work... although it is normally ignored if you are discreet about it. But, they will happily use it as an excuse to get rid of you if and when they want to...

VS
wantok

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KSA Labor law: Part III Articles 38 & 39.

Guidebook for Expatriates: Part 2, item 12

You can look them up.

Unless, that is, you're ADHD and/or assume that immediate gratification is your entitlement globally.
Johnz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done some private tutoring in Khobar in the last 2-3 years and would ditto the above comments about keeping things discrete and by word of mouth.

I charged two wealthy families 170Sr per hour, with tea and biscuits included. I usually did 2 hour sessions, several times a week. The first family had a 13 year old daughter who was heading to the UK for schooling and wanted extension exercises similar to what she could meet in the UK. The second family had 3 boys of different ages and abilities. Basically they just wanted 'more' English. With hindsight, I wouldn't teach the 3 boys(level) at the same time, but would insist on separate days/ times. A third family negotiated me down to 150Sr an hour for conversation type classes with their 14 yr old son.

Hope this helps
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: