Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Total bait and switch
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whatevs

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

choudoufu wrote:

getting a proper z-visa in your home country will help you to
avoid 'those people.'

Here's something important about this situation: she had a proper work visa. Got it in her home country before going to China.

And the residence permit too.

They were an established business, growing, with multiple locations, clean, new, nice facilities, with a sister school in the US that prominently mentions the Chinese organization on their website, US educated owner. They were rule abiding for the most part. Even if she had visited in advance and met them, scoped out the scene, etc, she wouldn't have been able to guess what was in store for her. 2 other teachers arrived at the same time she did and they were placed in normal housing and normal teaching situations. They just picked her for some reason to be the 'house teacher'. I swear it was kind of like a kidnapping and a brainwashing. Has anyone every heard of anything else happening like this?
whatevs

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zimmer wrote:
I hope your friend writes a warning about that place so that others don't get caught the same way.

just one more thing. I am pretty sure she's not going to do this. Basically she thinks that someone will just take the job anyway. Have to say I agree.

I sent in a fake resume to their old ad and actually got an interview with the man before I left. What an experience. He talks the talk very well. Very, very well. and with everything else that they have in place.... It's definitely enough for job-seekers to see what they want to see.

The other 2 foreign teachers for example did not stick up for her at all. In fact they kind of treated her like a leper. Like they didn't want to see her because they didn't want to face the moral dilemma she represented to them, they just wanted to keep living their fun life in China. They totally left her on her own. Not to toot my own horn but I have to say if she hadn't met me I think she would have had a full on nervous breakdown.

So in other words I don't think she is feeling a cameraderie for her peers enough to put herself out there and name the place
GeminiTiger

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whatevs wrote:

I sent in a fake resume to their old ad and actually got an interview with the man before I left.

The other 2 foreign teachers for example did not stick up for her at all. In fact they kind of treated her like a leper. Like they didn't want to see her because they didn't want to face the moral dilemma she represented to them, they just wanted to keep living their fun life in China. They totally left her on her own. Not to toot my own horn but I have to say if she hadn't met me I think she would have had a full on nervous breakdown.

Yeah, isn't this dishonest even a little to get an interview? Or is ok to troll the troll? You also posted here, you seem really too involved in this...

The other 2 FTs are happy with the job and doesn't support her. Makes me think this job isn't that bad.

You talk a lot about her in a way that makes me think that you are playing hero. I don't think it's wrong to play hero but I think you are. It's possible your only seeing things in a certain light because of your feelings about saving this girl.

Sad to say it, but this post, her blog and all the effort is likely to have a zero sum effect on this school and it's boss.

Help this girl and yourself by letting go a bad situation and moving on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Javelin of Radiance

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other foreign teachers might have ignored her for several reasons, and it's hardly an uncommon phenomena here in China. Most of us have, at one time or another, worked with people that were barely fit for society and maybe this woman you've written about is one of them. Having had to deal with people like this in the past ignoring them is sometimes the easiest and best way to get through the day. Hard for anyone not on the scene to know for sure. If she truly is being abused and is on the verge of a nervous breakdown as you wrote then she should seek help, but unlikely she'll find what she needs here in China.
kungfuman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked at a school and there were 5 men and 1 female. The female ft ratted out the a few of the other teachers to the admin. Because they made her a "supervisor" of teachers, few would talk to her and we all boycotted the meetings she ordered us to go to. This female had no real power and little clue how to work with other people. She talked down to all of us and it was her first time in China while some of us actually had some experience and knew that the school was using her.

No surprise one night she slipped out and hopped a plane back to merry Ole England without even a goodbye.

We have no doubt she will tell horror stories about the school but the truth is she was the most horrid person at that school.

Point is there are often two - or more- sides to an issue. How could one ft says the school is so bad while other teachers say it is ok?
whatevs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes what douchey responses

Did you even read her testimonial on the middle kingdom website? No obviously you didnt, but go ahead and comment away freely because this is the internets.

I don't see myself as a hero. I'm her friend. As I would be a friend to anyone who was in a situation similar to hers.

But I know it's very very satisfying and pretty much irresistible for people at low levels of moral development (=most of humanity) to blame the victim. it's part of our primitive programming because confronting aggressors is so mentally taxing and not many people have the courage, or the grey matter to do it.

But damn I thought people here would not be so douchey and would lean towards supporting a teacher in distress

Whatevs! If I can help just one person, just one person, I have done my work ; )
GeminiTiger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whatevs wrote:
Yikes what douchey responses

Anyone who posted in this thread who disagrees with you is "douchey"?
Personal attacks vs constructive criticism and understanding..

Everyone is a troll but you bro.
Perspective. You have none.
/thread
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
5h09un

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good lord. i just finished reading your friend's post on that other website. i almost can't believe what she's gone through, but i've had similar trouble myself in the past.

i was threatened by my boss at zhongyuan university of technology in zhengzhou. i wanted to quit because i wasn't satisfied with my working conditions (never paid on time) and because i found a better job. he called me one night and threatened to report me to the PSB for working illegally (my residency permit hadn't been updated, which was the school's fault). it scared the bejesus out of me.

my second most recent employer engaged in a lot of the behaviors your friend complained about. all of their foreign teachers are overworked because they don't respect the limits on office and teaching hours that are spelled out in the contract. when teachers complain about anything, they threaten to "tear up your visa" and have you banned from china. even in the end, they tried to screw me by trying to trick me into canceling my residency permit before getting a new job. it was a miserable place to work and i can't believe i lasted for a whole year. i'm working on a very detailed report about the place that i plan to share once it's finished.

i hope your friend will come back to china eventually. the fact that this nonsense happened to her in a country she has dreamed for a long time of visiting makes it at least twice as worse than it otherwise would be. china is a pretty good place to be when you aren't being mistreated and i think she should give it another go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: