Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TEFLq - in Poland?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
john123

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: TEFLq - in Poland? Reply with quote

Dear all,
Despite having an MA in ELT, which I did full-time in Birmingham, UK, it has come to my attention that I am not 'Diploma level' qualified and thus cannot become an academic manager (at least in the eyes of the British Council). Indeed, I had teaching practice on my MA but it was not observed by a 'fully qualified' character (see description below from the BC).

The Council pushed me in the direction of the Cambridge exam people, though I cannot seem to locate anyone in Poland. Does anyone have any clues about this one? Or contacts who can inform me?

I work for a company where I can have my classes observed.

Regards.
John.B.

'Diploma level:
MAs in ELT/TESOL or related subjects (provided they meet the requirements above). Where the teaching practice (only) criterion is not met, a teacher with this qualification may provide evidence that he or she has undertaken at least five hours of systematic observation of lessons by a fully qualified academic manager or teacher trainer.'
Master Shake

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Hmm.. Reply with quote

Hi John,

This is a tricky one as I take it you don't work for the Council now, correct?

Are you interested in working as academic manager for the BC in Poland? I'm pretty sure that almost all of these jobs go to people who already have significant experience working for the BC.

I think you have to go through Cambridge or the BC as only they will count as fully qualified in the Council's eyes.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I gather, your best bet would be to pay a teacher trainer from one of the CELTA courses to observe you for five hours. You could probably just pay them for a day of observation and training - you'd then get evidence from them and (especially if it was conducted by the BC themselves) - you'd have the benefit of getting it done by one of the boys.

Seems odd though - I wonder how they define "fully qualified academic manager/teacher trainer". Your best bet is to ask them for clarification on this - what qualifications do they expect academic managers/teacher trainers to have?
john123

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

I do not work for the British Council, and am not really interested in working for them.

Having read some bits on one of the Council's pages, my Boss, who has a Diploma in TESOL and is thus 'TEFLq', has concluded that he could observe me, document it on a official looking piece of paper - and that will solve it. I don't think it is as simple as that. I must call the BC in Warsaw.

Yes, well a "fully qualified academic manager" should be someone who has had this darn 5-6 hours observed teaching, plus DELTA, Dip or an MA. There may be other combinations too. My largely theoretical MA does not cover it, and the teaching practice which the institution organised at a local college was not observed by a member of university staff. The vacant chap whose class I took over for five hours was the only person who knew what I was doing in the classroom.

I suspect the idea of paying one of the boys to come and observe me might eventually happen.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john123 wrote:
Having read some bits on one of the Council's pages, my Boss, who has a Diploma in TESOL and is thus 'TEFLq', has concluded that he could observe me, document it on a official looking piece of paper - and that will solve it. I don't think it is as simple as that. I must call the BC in Warsaw.

I think it is enough, you know. As long as the British Council recognise his diploma, then he can do it. The thing that you quoted from seems to make it clear - he is "fully qualified" as he has the diploma - so as long as he documents the 5-6 hours of observations, you're done. You could also get anyone with the DELTA to do the same.

Quote:
Yes, well a "fully qualified academic manager" should be someone who has had this darn 5-6 hours observed teaching, plus DELTA, Dip or an MA. There may be other combinations too. My largely theoretical MA does not cover it, and the teaching practice which the institution organised at a local college was not observed by a member of university staff. The vacant chap whose class I took over for five hours was the only person who knew what I was doing in the classroom.

Total and utter bollocks, isn't it?

But - from what I gather - this is BC-only terminology. There's no need for you to have it if you want to work for anyone else as most people haven't even heard of it.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delphian-domine wrote:

But - from what I gather - this is BC-only terminology. There's no need for you to have it if you want to work for anyone else as most people haven't even heard of it.

Exactly. So why are you trying to TEFL-Q yourself up, John, if you have no intention of working for the BC? Confused
john123

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I returned to Poland at the end of last year, I must have applied for about 200 jobs in the UK. Two interviews. Several of the institutions came back to me stating that because I had not had this ruddy observed teaching practice, they could not take my application further.

Amazing. I think most institutions back home think in BC terms (TEFLq). I managed to get some EAP work without TEFLq, but I believe universities are beginning to jump on the bandwagon looking at some of the adverts in the summer. No doubt schools in Poland will latch onto this soon.

So, in a nutshell, I would rather be a TEFLqer than not...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: