Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spring Hiring Season

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Almond_Lover

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Spring Hiring Season Reply with quote

Could you please tell me what is in the works? Should I apply beforehand or is it alright to apply during the spring?

Peace be unto you.
kah5217

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You better apply now. Sure, there may be a few jobs open later on when people drop out, but with visa processing and company paperwork, it's best to apply early.
Glenski

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fiscal and academic year for schools in Japan begins in April (international schools begin school years in fall usually). So, most hiring takes place before April. Eikaiwas tend to hire throughout the year, but peak season is usually around Feb/March. ALT dispatch agencies will hire a lot then, too, but it also seems that they will recruit even a few months earlier than that (although you may not know your final location until just a couple of weeks before the job starts).

Quote:
Could you please tell me what is in the works?
I'm sorry, but I don't understand this question. Are you asking what the future holds?
Almond_Lover

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski wrote:
The fiscal and academic year for schools in Japan begins in April (international schools begin school years in fall usually). So, most hiring takes place before April. Eikaiwas tend to hire throughout the year, but peak season is usually around Feb/March. ALT dispatch agencies will hire a lot then, too, but it also seems that they will recruit even a few months earlier than that (although you may not know your final location until just a couple of weeks before the job starts).

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I don't understand this question. Are you asking what the future holds?

Yes,

Also, since I just arrived in Japan recently, working for a horrible company, will applying for a different job so early be looked upon unfavorably?
marley'sghost

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Also, since I just arrived in Japan recently, working for a horrible company, will applying for a different job so early be looked upon unfavorably?

Uh, unfavorably by your current company? Well, yes........ You don't tell them until you give your one month's notice.......
Why would the company you are applying to look at it unfavorably? They are the ones advertising the position, right?
Glenski summed the situation up quite succinctly. There is no mysterious ritual involved here. Japanese school and business calenders start in the spring. Thats when the job transfers, promotions and hiring happens.
Almond_Lover

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marley'sghost wrote:
Quote:

Uh, unfavorably by your current company? Well, yes........ You don't tell them until you give your one month's notice.......
Why would the company you are applying to look at it unfavorably? They are the ones advertising the position, right?
Glenski summed the situation up quite succinctly. There is no mysterious ritual involved here. Japanese school and business calenders start in the spring. Thats when the job transfers, promotions and hiring happens.

Unfavorably by the the prospective company for wanting to switch jobs so soon.
Glenski

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almond_Lover wrote:
Glenski wrote:
Quote:

Yes,
If anyone knew that, they would make a killing in the stock market. You are asking for far too much here.

What's going to happen in the ALT biz in the near/far future? Who can say? JET is on the decline, but will it die? Nobody can answer that with any schedule or certainty. As for ALT dispatch agencies, nobody knows what will happen, whether they increase in number (probably to some degree, yes, but nobody knows where or by how much) or have regulations imposed on them to better the industry (they should IMO, but it's impossible to predict).

If you interview with another employer so soon after starting work here, they will almost certainly be curious about why. Be diplomatic about your response, whatever you do, no matter how badly you are being treated now. That kind of attitude will look better than saying you have a "horrible" employer.
Almond_Lover

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski wrote:
Almond_Lover wrote:
Glenski wrote:
Quote:

Yes,
If anyone knew that, they would make a killing in the stock market. You are asking for far too much here.

What's going to happen in the ALT biz in the near/far future? Who can say? JET is on the decline, but will it die? Nobody can answer that with any schedule or certainty. As for ALT dispatch agencies, nobody knows what will happen, whether they increase in number (probably to some degree, yes, but nobody knows where or by how much) or have regulations imposed on them to better the industry (they should IMO, but it's impossible to predict).

If you interview with another employer so soon after starting work here, they will almost certainly be curious about why. Be diplomatic about your response, whatever you do, no matter how badly you are being treated now. That kind of attitude will look better than saying you have a "horrible" employer.

Thanks, Glen. Something along the lines of "I want to work for a company that values its students and is not just about money"?
Glenski

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dispatch agencies don't have students (they farm you out to their clients, the public schools), so that excludes their ALTs.
As for eikaiwas, my feeling is that the mom and pop shops would tend to fit your description more than others.
Rooster.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almond_Lover wrote:

Yes,

On the bright side you are already in Japan with a job so that makes finding a new one that much easier.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: