Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How important is age in getting a teaching position in China
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert Gaede

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:50 am    Post subject: How important is age in getting a teaching position in China Reply with quote

I am 60 years old. I have taught ESL in Korea for six and a half years, and I am now finding it impossible to get a job there because of my age. Is it possible to find a teaching position in China teaching adults conversational English at my age? I should add that I am a very good teacher who has been popular everywhere I have taught. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
LarssonCrew

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to sound harsh, but here's one question that would help us answer:

Are you white?
Robert Gaede

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:53 am    Post subject: How important is agein getting an ESL teaching position in C Reply with quote

Yes, I am white. I don't like to think that my race would matter, but I realize that in Asian countries, it does.
johntpartee

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep trying, you'll get something. Last term at this school there was a married couple; he was 67, she was 64. I'm 59; I was offered a five year contract.
southerngirl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of the jobs posted indicate that the age of 60 is the limit. Is this something that an employer can "work around" if they like the teacher? I am told that the five year contract can be "skirted" if the teacher does a good job and the employer wants to keep them.

When I was employed by a Korean university,they worked around the 5 year rule several times,but when someone turned 65, they HAD TO GO.
However, a friend of mine who teaches in the public schools in the same town as the university where I worked has been asked to stay one more year...He will be 66 in February 2013.

How strictly this is or isn't enforced seems to vary from employer to employer?????
johntpartee

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How strictly this is or isn't enforced seems to vary from employer to employer?????

Uh-huh.
rioux

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the university I work for would care. PM me if you want to know more.
Laoshi1950

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work at a graduate university in Beijing. I started teaching here 3 years ago at age 60. So, the supposed upper age limit of 60 years must not be a significant issue for this institution.

Prior to working here, I worked at a nearby Level 1 Key University in the Haidian District of Beijing. I was 59 during my last year teaching there, but there were three other foreign teachers employed there older than me - aged 63 (US), 67 (UK) and 70 (US).
DirtGuy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, how encouraging this is to read javascript:emoticon('Very Happy')

Just one question for everyone and that is whether or not the older teachers mentioned by the various posters had advanced degrees or not?

Thanks.

DirtGuy (age 55)
johntpartee

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do but the other post-60 teachers who were here didn't. It won't make a difference.
kungfuman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried hard to find a job for a white female over age 60 with a ton of experience. No one was interested - even a former school that was desperate for a teacher said no.
Robert Gaede

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:11 am    Post subject: Age discrimination in ESL teaching in China Reply with quote

I have received many good answers to my initial query on this topic, so thank you all for this information you have provided. Most of the comments I have received concern university positions. I have found that I do not really enjoy teaching at university, and would prefer to teach at a private institute. Is there an age limit to teaching adults at a private company?
Robert Gaede

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:11 am    Post subject: Age discrimination in ESL teaching in China Reply with quote

I have received many good answers to my initial query on this topic, so thank you all for this information you have provided. Most of the comments I have received concern university positions. I have found that I do not really enjoy teaching at university, and would prefer to teach at a private institute. Is there an age limit to teaching adults at a private company?
Robert Gaede

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:12 am    Post subject: Age discrimination in ESL teaching in China Reply with quote

DirtGuy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't that tell you something right there?

Hate to say it but, given our ages, it's often less about what we want vs. what we can get. Who really wants to be a greeter at Walmart? If you can land an offer with a uni in the location you want, take it and then impress a local language center with your skills when you start your search for the next job. Heck of a lot easier to do it in person than via a resume/Skype interview. Besides, the Chinese can never figure out how old we are until they ask us so make a good impression and then surprise them when they ask your age.

DirtGuy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: