Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

leaving HCT after a year-do you still get paid for Summer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vamanos12

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: leaving HCT after a year-do you still get paid for Summer Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone knows the ins and outs of leaving HCT after the first academic year. If you tell them in Dec. that you aren't staying for another year, will they still pay you for the Summer break. Do you have to just say you are staying and then tell them the following August that you aren't coming back (paying them back the 2/3rd's of the settling money)? Please respond if you definitely know or more than likely are correct.
It may seem like a dubious question, but it's not really. The first year is a trial period for both parties as it's written in the contract.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the contract section on giving notice... and on the probationary period. I do believe that legally, if you have completed all of the teaching for the academic year, you should be paid for the summer leave. They have paid it in the past... and they have tried to weasel out of it, but eventually paid it.

Things change on how they are written and interpreted. I know for sure that you would have to pay back the furniture allowance. That used to be broken down in the contract as to payback.

Do try to hang in there though... Cool

VS
D. Merit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: leaving HCT after a year-do you still get paid for Summe Reply with quote

vamanos12 wrote:
Please respond if you definitely know or more than likely are correct.

Well I can tell you that anyone who claims to 'definitely know' definitely doesn't.

Sisyphus was recently overheard groaning 'That boulder was a cakewalk compared to this' when trying to get a straight answer about his CEPA days.

If you sign a contract with HCT you really should have every intention of honoring it.

The process gone through when completing your contract is excruciating enough. Trying to get out of it after less than a year really would be entering a world of pain.

Sorry that isn't a definitive answer - but if you go and work there you will understand.
Abdullah the Enforcer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you sign a contract with HCT you really should have every intention of honoring it.

Abdullah tink that Tubby would not agree in the reverse.
robinbanks

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vaminos 12.If reasons for quitting are "family/personal/health related"you might get a more sympatheic hearing.Is this just a speculative question or are you actually leaving?May you tell us on what "grounds"you are leaving,because to be frank you really should have thought the matter through before signing up.If it's for the above reasons forgive me.At lease it's not a record-I heard of a lady who resigned after three weeks at the MZ one and went back to China.They will probably give you your summer money if you complete the academic year.
Moriarty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey V12

As long as you give the length of notice in the contract (used to be 6 months, which normally meant a semester), your college should pay you the leave you are entitled to. I think your annual entitlement is 40 days, although this may have changed since I left � check your contract or ask HR.

You earn your leave according to the time you are with HCT, so you get the full 40 days when you've been with them for 12 months. Sounds as if you�re planning to go at the end of the second semester, around the third week of June, so I imagine you will have completed about 10 months by then and so will have earned about ten-twelfths of your annual entitlement � say, 34 days. You will probably be required to take 10 days of this over the mid-year break and will therefore most likely end the year with a balance of 24 days.

As leave is counted on working days only (i.e. Fridays and Saturdays are not subtracted from your balance), this amounts to just under 5 weeks. You will thus be paid for just under 5 weeks, starting from the first working day after your agreed final day � which won�t necessarily be the one you would prefer!

Let�s say your last working day is Thursday 20 June 2013: you would be paid until around Wednesday 24 July. The final amount depends on several things: your actual start date may have been earlier than late September, in which case your accrued leave would be slightly more; you may not have to take the whole 10 days in the mid-year break; etc. And you could find that when you hand your notice in at the end of the first semester a deal is �proposed� to you, in which you leave immediately and are paid a sum in lieu of your notice period. This has happened in the past, because student numbers drop in the second semester and fewer teachers are needed.

Good luck.

M
vamanos12

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the good detailed advice to those of you that gave it. To those that judge.....well, you know the sayings.
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

48 days earned over the course of the year...I think you'd be paid out any holiday time you had earned. The whole summer? As suggested above, it will depend on how much time you have.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: