Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ABCTE Value?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teacher Jack

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:05 am    Post subject: ABCTE Value? Reply with quote

ABCTE (abcte.org) is an alternative program for teacher certification recognized by close to dozen US states. From what I understand, it involves paying a fee($2000 but can be reduced by 45%), studying for 8 months to a year, and taking two exams.

I've got three years of US K-12 teaching experience and several years of experience teaching outside the US. I'm wondering if it's a program worth pursuing?

I have no desire to go back to the US to teach, but having US certification would surely result in better opportunities, right?
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Teacher Jack,

These are the states: "ABCTE is a state approved route to full teacher certification in Florida, Idaho, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire, Nevada, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee & Utah."

Home � Become a Teacher
Frequently Asked Questions

http://www.abcte.org/teach/faq

Regards,
John
Welcheronymus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: ABCTE Value? Reply with quote

Quote:
Teacher Jack"]ABCTE (abcte.org) is an alternative program for teacher certification recognized by close to dozen US states. From what I understand, it involves paying a fee($2000 but can be reduced by 45%), studying for 8 months to a year, and taking two exams.

I've got three years of US K-12 teaching experience and several years of experience teaching outside the US. I'm wondering if it's a program worth pursuing?

I have no desire to go back to the US to teach, but having US certification would surely result in better opportunities, right?

Teacher Jack,

I've spent the last few months researching routes to teacher certification here in the US with the intention of using that qualification to work abroad. The ABCTE program was one I looked at. If you go to: http://www.abcte.org/teach/general/english-language-artsplus and click on the "How It Works" tab, you can see what each state will require for licensing after you complete the ABCTE program. To me, it looks like most states are going to require you to teach in a classroom in their state for some period of time (maybe 1-3 years) for a professional license. And they may have you do some more course work through their alternative certification or mentoring program. You could double check each state's Dept of Education for info about how the ABCTE cert fits in with their licensing requirements.

After all the research I did (including looking at PGCE and Master's programs offered through universities/colleges), I am going to apply to the TeacherReady program through the University of West Florida (http://www.teacherready.org/). If you search the forums here at Dave's, there are a few posts regarding this route- http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?p=1053184&highlight=#1053184, http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=97812&highlight=teacherready, http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?p=999764&highlight=#999764

One thing I like about this program is that at some point one could apply to earn 12 Master's level credit hours at the UWFl. Although I imagine if one isn't a Florida resident (and I am not) this probably isn't inexpensive.
sparks

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as just getting state certification, I don't know that it would open more doors for you. I assume that you would like to teach in an American school abroad. Usually they require two years teaching at home with your cert. I would imagine that anyone recruiting for them is quite aware of short-cuts and anything other then legit teaching experience. While this is a way to get certified I would imagine that you would need to actually teach for a while IN THE U.S. before becoming a viable candidate for jobs in American schools. If you're just looking for education/a license then go for it.
Teacher Jack

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparks, I do have 3 years of public school teaching experience in the US. In my location certification was tied to my job. No job = no more certification. Hence, I was hired with a BS degree, my teaching experience abroad and my Praxis I and II scores. I was actually labeled HQT.

Now that I'm out of the US, I'm looking to bolster my credentials. Whether the ABCTE is worth it or not, I don't know. Maybe my Praxis scores would be just as valuable...and I already have them.

Welch, I will take a look at those links.
Teacher Jack

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welch, I took a look at the links you gave and the info from the Teacher Ready site and came up with some information.

1) It appears as though it's only acceptable in Florida.

2) It seems geared to someone without any K-12 teaching experience.

3) For 1 year and $5000 of your time, you are fast approaching the cost in money and time for an MA in Education. An MA can be gotten at many online universities in a year and a half with less than $10,000. In fact, out of pocket Teacher Ready can be higher right now, why? If you go for an MA then you can take out low interest federal loans to cover the tuition., ie you are out the application fee now, the rest you make payments on over 10 years.

For me, plunking down $5000 on something of dubious benefit to myself is not something I can do. I'd rather go for an MA that would give me something real.

For me, teaching abroad now, I qualify for the ABCTE 45% off so it's only $1100. Again, I don't know if that gives me a benefit or not, but I don't think the $4000 more for the Teacher Ready thing is worth it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: