Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

renewing passport outside the Kingdom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dutchman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: renewing passport outside the Kingdom Reply with quote

I will have to renew my passport some time next year, as it will expire in early 2014. I live very far from Riyadh, where the embassy is located. Getting my passport renewed in the Kingdom means that I have to fly to Riyadh twice, one to apply for the passport, and one to collect it. It's not possible to do it by mail. So I plan to renew my passport once I go back home in the summer holiday. So my question is, if I have an exit / re-entry visa on my old passport, and come back to Saudi with a new passport, would I have trouble in the airport? I will make sure to bring my old passport that has the exit / re-entry visa, along with my new passport, but the old one will be punched and crippled (that's what my government does when you want to keep an expired passport). You can see a picture here: http://www.tzum.info/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/paspoort.jpg . I know my employer will have to update my iqama against my new passport number, that's not a problem. I am just worried that my old passport may not be accepted by the immigration authorities, especially if the exit / re-entry visa is damaged because of the punches.

Thank you.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice is to renew your passport in Riyadh.
Barbaros

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: renewing passport outside the Kingdom Reply with quote

dutchman wrote:
I am just worried that my old passport may not be accepted by the immigration authorities, especially if the exit / re-entry visa is damaged because of the punches.

Thank you.

I think you will not be allowed to board the flight to Riyadh with a cancelled old passport which got your exit-re-entry visa. The exit-re-entry visa is linked to the old passport number which in turn is linked to your current iqama number, and your new passport number will not show up in the immigration computer system. Even if you are allowed to board the flight to Riyadh, you will face the problem with the immigration officials in the airport.
You need to contact the Saudi embassy in your home country and ask them if it is possible to transfer you iqama and exit-re-entry visa informations to the new passport, and get new entry visa from them. If not, your only option is to do it while you are in the Magic Kingdom, which I think is the easiest and free-hassle option for you.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbaros is 100 percent right. Sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear. Sometimes truth brings pain !
wantok

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are to be complimented for having the foresight to plan well in advance of what could become a crisis.

Does your employer not know the ins and outs of relevant legislation?

I suspect that the transfer of your new passport number to iqama will have to be processed there in Den Haag preparatory to strolling through Arrivals in KSA. If you do get a new passport back home, that is.

You may wish to do a preliminary search through the link below, some of which is in English.

https://www.moi.gov.sa/wps/portal/!ut/p/b1/04_SjzQ0M7SwsDSxNDfRj9CPykssy0xPLMnMz0vMAfGjzOJNnQOcPS18jQ3dA0LNDYzczE28nM28LQy8QRoigQoMcABHA0L6g1Pz9MP1o_AqMzGGKnB2d_QwMfcxMLDwcTc18HT0CA2yDDQ2NnCEKcDjDj-P_NxU_dyoHItgT11HALSle_s!/dl4/d5/L2dJQSEvUUt3QS80SmtFL1o2X0dOVlMzR0gzMTBGSUUwSVFJSkozR1YzQ0w2/?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/wps/wcm/connect/MOI+Diwan/MOI+Home+Content/Home/Regulation/

Those with budgetary constraints might find it more expedient to pay for those two flights and have the transfer done before departure from KSA next summer. Thus rigmarole in Den Haag may be avoided.

Your employer of course is not obligated to pay for your new passport, but is legally obligated to pay for iqama and visa related fees.

Check whether you'll require an entirely new visa before applying once again for a new iqama.

I'd advise you to grit your teeth whilst in KSA. Get it done and go on with living instead of generating anxiety about a future crisis eight months hence.
cmp45

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: renewing passport outside the Kingdom Reply with quote

dutchman wrote:
I will have to renew my passport some time next year, as it will expire in early 2014. I live very far from Riyadh, where the embassy is located. Getting my passport renewed in the Kingdom means that I have to fly to Riyadh twice, one to apply for the passport, and one to collect it. It's not possible to do it by mail. So I plan to renew my passport once I go back home in the summer holiday. So my question is, if I have an exit / re-entry visa on my old passport, and come back to Saudi with a new passport, would I have trouble in the airport? I will make sure to bring my old passport that has the exit / re-entry visa, along with my new passport, but the old one will be punched and crippled (that's what my government does when you want to keep an expired passport). You can see a picture here: http://www.tzum.info/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/paspoort.jpg . I know my employer will have to update my iqama against my new passport number, that's not a problem. I am just worried that my old passport may not be accepted by the immigration authorities, especially if the exit / re-entry visa is damaged because of the punches.

Thank you.

(check this out)
http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/saudi_arabia-arabie_saoudite/consular_services_consulaires/srap-eligibility_drs-admisible.aspx?lang=eng&view=d

Contact the Embassy (see link below)
http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/saudi_arabia-arabie_saoudite/contact-contactez.aspx?lang=eng&menu_id=9&view=d

Can you not find a courier close to where you are?
You should be able to send everything by courier.
If you do use a courier make sure you follow their instructions carefully.
The website provides downloadable forms as well as gives you additional info regarding renewal proceedures (see link below)
http://www.ppt.gc.ca/info/form.aspx?lang=eng&region=international

You say your passport expires early 2014...you still have a year to sort this out...so try to contact Canadian Embassy in Riyadh and also talk to your employer about your concerns/ situation...seems to me it would be easier to renew while you are in KSA as opposed to doing it in Canada, for the same reasons stated by other posters.
wantok

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I falsely assuming that dutchman is Dutch, not Canadian?
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canada ? How does that come into the tale ?
cmp45

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Canada ? How does that come into the tale ?

My bad...misplaced my reading glasses Embarassed Laughing anyways...the info is up now...for any Canadians renewing passports Shocked

sorry dutchman...looks like you may need to just bite the bullet and make the trip to Riyadh...

Dutch passport, ID card

however, it says 'SHOULD' not 'HAVE TO'
I would inquire....maybe get some sort of alternative arrangement

http://saudiarabia.nlembassy.org/services/consular-services/dutch-passport-id-card/dutch-passport-id-card.html

Dutch nationals can apply for a new passport at the Dutch Embassy in Riyadh. This can be done without making an appointment beforehand, but only on Mondays and Wednesdays from 9:00 -12:00 am. Applications for a Dutch passport should be presented in person. Your (new) Dutch passport should be collected in person for identification. For more information, please contact Consular Affairs: [email protected]
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I renewed my US passport in Oman. The US merely stapled the old passport to the back of the new passport because of the work/residence visa and they only punch/cancelled out the pages other than the visa.

I used the passport with no issues through my summer travels in a number of countries and returned to Oman after summer leave with no issues. When the visa was finished, I just removed it from the back of the new passport.

Talk to your embassy on this.

VS
cmp45

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
I renewed my US passport in Oman. The US merely stapled the old passport to the back of the new passport because of the work/residence visa and they only punch/cancelled out the pages other than the visa.

I used the passport with no issues through my summer travels in a number of countries and returned to Oman after summer leave with no issues. When the visa was finished, I just removed it from the back of the new passport.

Talk to your embassy on this.

VS

Yes they also did this with mine as well in Riyadh, but dutchman mentioned getting his passport renewed back home...would they do it this way in his home country??? Seems to me if there was a vaid work visa in the old passport they should just staple the old one to the new one... To be certain as VS states is to inquire with the embassy
dutchman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies.

I know for a fact that if I apply for a new passport back at home, they will ask me to hand over my old passport. If I tell them that I need it because of the visas in it, they will let me keep it, but they will punch it and render it invalid. They are doing this for security purposes. However, I am under the assumption that as long as your new passport is accompanied with your old passport that has the exit / re-entry visa, it should not pose any problem. In fact I read this on Lonelyplanets forum. I just want to know if somebody has ever done it. Travelling to Riyadh twice will cause a lot of headache. The embassy is closed at the weekends, so I will have to cancel my lessons for 2 days, etc. I will ask the embassy if an alternative arrangement is possible.
wantok

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back home you may want to go to Den Haag and show KSA embassy officials the un-punched passport you wish to renew. Ask for their advice. Then go ahead and apply for a fresh edition.

You may also wish to have copies of the passport's front page and KSA visa page notarized before you submit it for mutilation.

At any rate, you won't be getting one of these: http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/10/26/new-canadian-passports/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: