Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TESOL Express - - Anyone heard of them?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kev7161

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: TESOL Express - - Anyone heard of them? Reply with quote

Groupon is offering a special right now where one can buy a $599.00 TEFL course from TESOL Express for $69.00!! I've been contemplating getting TEFL certified for a variety of reasons, but wondering if anyone has any input on this organization. Their website:

http://www.tesolexpressonline.com/OnlineCourses

The Groupon deal (for anyone else that may be interested):

http://www.groupon.com/deals/g1mm-tesol-express-topeka-lawrence-ks?p=1&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&sid=c6e2aabe-2054-42cd-b2a3-169c13290485&division=topeka-lawrence&user=62b2ff02c1be5f502f73765789d06ff0282b25e6ec79d38078891f6c76f56df0&date=20121026&s=body&c=deal_button&d=deal-page&utm_campaign=g1mm-tesol-express-topeka-lawrence-ks
TechGuyJim

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 replies on an earlier topic in General discussion. http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=98898
Denim-Maniac

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted in the thread linked above showing one of the rare occasions when it wouldnt be money wasted ... but generally these courses are a total waste of time.

TEFL certified for $69.00 - Really? Of course not.
kev7161

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me personally, I already have an education degree as well as several years of teaching under my belt (both in the states and abroad). I was emailing the head of the international department of the university from which I graduated, expressing interest in working with the foreign students in some capacity upon my return home. He told me that in order to do so, I'd need to be certified with TEFL or TESOL or something like that (I wouldn't be teaching actual classes, more of a tutoring position). Also, the local technical school told me the same thing. Degree + experience + certification. For me, regardless of the company itself, this may be what I need without paying an arm and a leg.

It seems that from the thread listed above that nobody has actually taken any courses provided by this company. But at least I got to read a few opinions about it so that's something. I've visited a couple of other websites and the feedback about this actual company seem to be roughly 60% for/40% against.
Denim-Maniac

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest this isnt really certification of any sort kev. Its like 101 other spurious companies that get created, who then align themselves with rather dubious credentials that would appear to add some credence to their claims and educational programs, but actually just exist to part you with your hard earned.

If an employer is willing to acccept a certificate of this nature, they would be just as willing to accept a certificate that you purchased on ebay and printed out at home. It may look like a great saving, but its not credible, is not likely to be valued by credible employers and its likely to teach you much that is credible either.

The route you need to take is CELTA / Trinity. And that is only a basic entry level certification too! Delta is generally asked for by most of the better employers. Its certainly a 'must-have' for the better jobs in the UK at least, including college type positions with EFL students. You can do part of the CELTA online now too as they offer a blended learning program. Thats probably / possibly the way to go.

Regarding the feedback ... ignore it. If a company is offering a program of 'certification' that is below the industry minimum in the vast majority of EFL environments, and is not recognised or accredited by a recognisable education authority (and I would be 100% sure this isnt) and its subject to 90% discounts via online companies like Wowcher .... well, everything says you dont need to read feedback to know the company and their program is pretty much fake.

But ... I get the sense you want to believe in this program. So the best way for you to check it is to contact the employer you mention and ask them if its an acceptable certificate to them.
Mister Al

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in Tesco Express earlier today. Got a good bit of shopping done. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: