Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What should I do?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Bafford

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: What should I do? Reply with quote

A nasty situation has arisen.

There was flooding in my area so the school had to close one week before the mid term break.

My contract expired on 30 September and I signed a new contract that commences on 1 November. I am due to relocate to a different school.

The company suddenly tell me I need to return to the school and 'complete my duties'( I'm not even sure what they mean by this).

It's bad enough having to live without a salary for an entire month, now they expect me to return and work for free.

I'm seriously tempted to tell them to *beep* off over this, but then I won't have any job at the end of the month.

I'm really not sure what to do -- any suggestions?
tttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What should I do? Reply with quote

Lord Bafford wrote:

There was flooding in my area so the school had to close one week before the mid term break.

My contract expired on 30 September and I signed a new contract that commences on 1 November. I am due to relocate to a different school.

The company suddenly tell me I need to return to the school and 'complete my duties'( I'm not even sure what they mean by this).

It's bad enough having to live without a salary for an entire month, now they expect me to return and work for free.

I'm seriously tempted to tell them to *beep* off over this, but then I won't have any job at the end of the month.

If you were paid for the week they were shut... then just get it over with.
If you were NOT paid for the week they were shut early then tell them to pee off and find a new job - that one doesn't sound like it is worth keeping or worrying over anyway.

In view of your earlier post about not having a visa or work permit I certainly would just move on. It isn't a job worth worrying about, they have nothing to hold over you and this is the mid term break. There are lots of jobs to be had unless you are in Chaing Mai, Phuket or Pattaya.

CAVEAT: If you are one of those without an accredited degree (basically unable to get a work permit) or without an anglophone passport then stick it out. You aren't going to find much that is any better.

Lord Bafford

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What should I do? Reply with quote

tttompatz wrote:
Lord Bafford wrote:

If you were paid for the week they were shut... then just get it over with.
If you were NOT paid for the week they were shut early then tell them to pee off and find a new job - that one doesn't sound like it is worth keeping or worrying over anyway.

In view of your earlier post about not having a visa or work permit I certainly would just move on. It isn't a job worth worrying about, they have nothing to hold over you and this is the mid term break. There are lots of jobs to be had unless you are in Chaing Mai, Phuket or Pattaya.

CAVEAT: If you are one of those without an accredited degree (basically unable to get a work permit) or without an anglophone passport then stick it out. You aren't going to find much that is any better.

I did receive payment for the days of closure, so maybe you're right.

It will, however, cost a fortune to return for what will only be a couple of days.

I've handed back the keys to the house: this will mean shelling out 400 baht a night for a hotel.

I really don't want to rip anyone off, but I feel what's being asked of me is totally unreasonable.

I do have a masters in English and a UK passport, so maybe I should take the chance and look for something else?

I'm not hugely confident.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new school term starts in 3 weeks.
I'd just find a new job with a new employer.

plumpy nut

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to go to the school with the new contract and on time. That is the most important thing. If they paid you during the flood period, pay them that money back if you cannot fulfill the contract. If they didn't pay you, forget about them, don't answer thier calls or return thier emails. You don't owe them anything, especially if they didn't pay you during the flood.
Lord Bafford

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I'm relieved to be shot of that awful company, finding a new position has proved most challenging.

Despite applying for dozens of positions, my only (semi)concrete offer thus far is a 28k-a-month, 21 hour a week public school gig in the sticks(and in Lop Buri).

While I wasn't expecting a total cakewalk, I also wasn't prepared for this total dearth of interest in a well qualified individual with relevant experience.

It looks like I'll now have to leave Thailand after only a couple of months.

The sad part is I was really getting to grips with life here: I've learned a lot of Thai, made friends easily and learned to block out the proportion of Thais that automatically despise Farangs.

The lifestyle here may be better than in China, but it looks like the lack of decent opportunities is going to be the deciding factor.

Oh well...
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lopburi is a really crappy town even as small Thai cities go. I worked in Lopburi once. The only good thing is that it's close to Bangkok. There is an area of town that is full of roaming monkeys, a total pain in the ass. If you walk throught that area make sure you're not carrying anything that they can recognize as food. They will sneak up on you an literally forcefully grab it. The smaller younger monkeys will climb up on you if they have time to do it.

This is not the right time of the year for getting a position. That's why nobody showed you any interest. I would say work there untill the end of September then look for a better position if you want a better one. Or wait untill the semester ends and find a better paying one, your choice. You can't count on the school to keep you anyway, so leave when you want.
Buoyant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What should I do? Reply with quote

Lord Bafford wrote:

Lord Bafford wrote:
Finding a new position has proved most challenging.

I'm confused. I thought you said you already had a new contract.

Also, do you know why finding a new position has been challenging? Is there a clear reason?
Lord Bafford

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What should I do? Reply with quote

Buoyant wrote:
Lord Bafford wrote:

Lord Bafford wrote:
Finding a new position has proved most challenging.

I'm confused. I thought you said you already had a new contract.

Also, do you know why finding a new position has been challenging? Is there a clear reason?

I did have a position lined up with the company but, when I refused to bow to their ridiculous demands, the proverbial hit the fan.

It was 24 hours a week for 35k so I'm not overly devastated. What it means is my war chest, confidence and motivation have all taken a massive hit.

I think the biggest problem is my lack of a TEFL cert and limited experience. My visa also expires in 13 days which is another stumbling block.

Further salt arrives in the form of my phone packing up after a torrential downpour.

I seriously recommend having a fully operational Thai phone! Skpe seems to be too much of a hassle for people in Thailand.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They usually interview in person. I have never interviewed by phone in Thailand. Initial contacts are mostly made by e-mail, occasionally by phone. I suspect most of the jobs available to you with the teaching hours that you might like are going to be in the provinces.
Lord Bafford

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unbelievable!

I had an interview lined up, left with plenty(or so I thought) of time to spare, only to find myself stuck in traffic for nearly two hours!!!

I arrive for said interview and apologise profusely, explaining the reasons for my tardiness.

A northern English gentlemen informs me that 'it's alright', albeit in an irritated tone. He then asks me to fill out a form, makes me wait, asks me a few questions and then, matter of factly, tells that he would have offered me the job but won't because I was late so he cannot do so on principle.

It was entirely my fault being late, but was that really necessary?

Luckily he said I can apply again because 'I fit the profile'. LOL!

Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad

I've had so many setbacks in my job search( I'm too tired to type them all here) that I think some kind of ethereal force is urging me to give up on Thailand.

I think it's going to get its wish!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: