Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Driving from Oman to Qatar?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
March Hare

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Driving from Oman to Qatar? Reply with quote

I'm in Oman now, but I plan to move to Qatar in a few months, and I'd like to keep my car. Does anyone know if it's possible to get a Saudi visa, drive to Qatar through SA, then register the car in Qatar? Has anyone ever done this?

Thanks for any advice.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that it is possible... for a man...

Posters on here have done it the opposite way (Saudi to Oman or UAE). Oops... they would already have a Saudi visa, so that might still be the catch.

A shipping company may offer a service to drive vehicles to other Gulf countries. Or so I was told when moving from Kuwait to Oman. But, I eventually chose to send it by ship along with my furniture in a container.

VS
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the Saudi embassy's US webpage, Saudi transit visas are available for those flying, since confirmed airline reservations are required. But that refers to air travel from overseas and doesn't address non-Saudis who intend to transit by car through the Kingdom. I suggest doing an internet search on saudi transit visa driving---this question has been asked numerous times. Plus, contact the Saudi embassy in Oman because visa regulations can change year by year.
March Hare

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, VS & Nomad.

I've been told that shipping by sea can cost 600-700OR, and that's too much to pay, considering the resale value of the car. (Very good quality & condition car, but 10 years old.) VS, did you pay that much?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you expect to stay in Qatar for more than a year, it may be better financially to sell your 10-year old car in Oman and then buy/lease another vehicle when you get to Qatar.
Abdullah the Enforcer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abdullah say you no can import 10 years old car in to Qatar. Qatar custom say "No can!"
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abdullah is correct, and this is true around the Gulf. That simplifies your question... sell it.

VS
(I don't remember what I paid for the use of half a container... too many years ago. Laughing I probably have it in my records at home, but I am at my winter residence now.)
March Hare

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't import an older car? Odd....

OK, plan B is to sell it here and get a new one there. Thanks for the advice, everyone.
millie18

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd? I thought it was the norm? Importing a car more than 5 years (or maybe 6) to Qatar is not allowed. I thought it was the same to the UAE?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is the norm... but not necessarily logical. My original 1988 Nissan Sunny is still going strong in Oman last I heard. Laughing

VS
Captain_Fil

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having your own car overseas may be convenient. But it can be quite expensive.

You need Fuel (must buy once or twice a week), Maintenance (oil changes are affordable but if your transmission needs replacement...), Insurance (just one accident will raise your premiums), and Registration (late registration can incur high penalties or fines).

Of course, there is the danger of Theft. (Does LoJack work overseas?)

I would simply rely on public transit and rent a car, if needed.

Just expressing my...veiled sentiments.

CF
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Captain_Fil,

A lot depends on your location and whether you have a family with you. In much of the Middle East, if you have a wife and kids there, a car is often more of a necessity than a luxury,

Regards,
John
Abdullah the Enforcer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cap Fil make Abdullah worry! Scary like like!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain_Fil wrote:
Having your own car overseas may be convenient. But it can be quite expensive.

It is cheaper than it is in the US and just as crucial to a comfortable life. (lifelong urban residents of cities with good transit systems often don't understand or accept this reality) Even the cities in the Gulf had such poor mass transit that taxis were inconvenient, expensive, and depending on the city, difficult to find. Buses are not even an option in 90% of the cities because the routes are so restricted that they don't come anywhere near your home or your work or both.

A new car in the Gulf was a good 25%-30% cheaper than in the US. Can't speak for used cars because I wouldn't consider one in either country.

Captain_Fil wrote:
You need Fuel (must buy once or twice a week),

Fuel is so cheap in the Gulf, it is practically free. And in all three countries and cars, I normally filled the tank once or twice a month. The commutes are normally short.

Captain_Fil wrote:
Maintenance (oil changes are affordable but if your transmission needs replacement...),

All of my oil changes were free. It was part of the bargaining when I bought the car. The only other maintenance issue was a water pump that went out in Oman. I made it to the dealer who gave me a loaner car and it cost a pittance. (I've owned cars for 50 years and never replaced a transmission...)

Captain_Fil wrote:
Insurance (just one accident will raise your premiums), and

Again... a fraction of US insurance rates. Never had an accident in the Gulf, but in the US, rates don't raise until the second claim.

Captain_Fil wrote:
Registration (late registration can incur high penalties or fines).

Duh... so don't register late. It wasn't difficult... involved a trip to the Motor Vehicle Department. Best case a couple hours one afternoon after teaching... worst case one forgets one bit of paper and has to make a second trip.

Captain_Fil wrote:
Of course, there is the danger of Theft. (Does LoJack work overseas?)

In my 16 years in the Middle East, I never heard of anyone getting their car stolen... nor has it happened to any of my friends since I left.

Captain_Fil wrote:
I would simply rely on public transit and rent a car, if needed.

Just expressing my...veiled sentiments.

Public transit is sadly unreliable for most of us, especially if you have kids... or like me, a single female.

Nowadays there are many more options in the lease/rental market than there was in the past. But economically speaking, if you will be there for two or more years, purchasing a car makes more financial sense. For a western expat, especially a female, selling the car when one leaves is simple. It normally took me a day to get the money I wanted.

Any new teachers need to look at their personal situation.

VS
millie18

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say that cars are that much cheaper in Qatar than in North America. Qatar car prices are higher than other GCC countries - to the point where Qataris go to UAE or Saudi to buy new cars.

That said, your insurance is based on the estimated value of the car, not your driving record. Of course, some companies will tell local young men "we don't insure XYZ model" but will turn around and insure other nationalities that own that car.

Gas here is about USD$1/gallon. I had my 6 month oil change, new fan belt, brakes and all fluid levels checked and my AC recharged and the car registered for about $100USD - I did have to buy a new battery (unfortunately, they tend to be short lived) but it cost about USD$125 (and the previous 2 lasted between 2 - 2.5 years apiece).

Not bad on a nearly 10 year old car that I can now only get 3rd party insurance on because of its age, but that was less than $100.

Never heard of anyone having their car stolen either.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: