Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How important is age in getting a teaching position in China
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LarssonCrew

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple points:

Probably easier for a SOLID university[not a cheap out the way place.], to dodge around any visa problems than a small school.

Someone like EF or New Oriental may be so huge that they will bend the rules with cash, BUT, they normally want young, energetic types.

Related to my points above, here in Xi'an I know 5 people over the age of 60, all of whom are white.

Someone I know over the age of 65 is teaching on a business visa because the school couldn't get him a RP. Everyone else is on a RP at unis and do some side work.
johntpartee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off topic, but once you hit the "Submit" button for a post, you don't have to hit it again. Even if it's extrasuperduperslow it will post. Even if you use the "back" arrow on the browser window, it will still be submitted. This is the voice of experience (double- and triple- poster).
DirtGuy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just open another window and go about my business while the reply loads. This will probably slow things down even more but then I don't care.

DG
johntpartee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that works, too, but it slows down EVERYTHING (post and new window) on this particular net-server.
Denim-Maniac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did work with a 63 year old woman who was employed in a training centre for 2 years. They did just let her go though, using the age as the main reason.
creeper1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: 65 Reply with quote

Well in all seriousness it is time to retire when you are hitting 65. None of us live forever and if you want to enjoy your twilight years then that is the time.

Trying to teach those brats at a language mill at 65? I'd be more into doing some gardening, growing my own food and generally relaxing.
mike w

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP

Think about teaching in the corporate world instead of schools/unis.

Generally there are no age problems there. One of my colleagues decided to retire last year - he was 74!

There are another two of us here who are already 60 - we have no problems for the future. Even the health insurance is no problem.
DirtGuy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

creeper1,

I'm going to be really diplomatic about this and give you the benefit of the doubt. I don't know what planet you are from but it's not Earth. Where have you been the last few years? If people could retire at 65, don't you think they would? If you are so smart, why don't you start showing the rest of us how to garden and relax on what Social Security pays? You could make a fortune giving seminars.

I'm 55 and have income producing rental properties in various parts of the country. There is no way in h**l I will be able to retire at 65. I will have to work at least another 20 years and probably even longer and it sure ain't gonna be as a greeter for Walmart.

DirtGuy
johntpartee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, no, no......when one gets to age 65 it's time to slow down and relax and get ready to die.
mike w

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No, no, no......when one gets to age 65 it's time to slow down and relax and get ready to die.

Why? When I get to 65 I'm going to stop work, and start living life number 2, not get ready to leave it.
Aristede

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Reply with quote

creeper1 wrote:
Well in all seriousness it is time to retire when you are hitting 65. None of us live forever and if you want to enjoy your twilight years then that is the time.

Trying to teach those brats at a language mill at 65? I'd be more into doing some gardening, growing my own food and generally relaxing.

The notion of relaxing in my "twilight years" sounds wonderful. But that is difficult to do if retirement means living in a cardboard box and dumpster-diving for dinner.
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kungfuman wrote:
I tried hard to find a job for a white female over age 60 with a ton of experience. No one was interested - even a former school that was desperate for a teacher said no.

A lot depends on how you apply, the kind of job you're applying for, and whoever looks (or doesn't) at your CV. Twice I've applied for positions that the DoS/HR individual who's apparenly looking for someone of my qualifications hasn't gotten around to looking at the CVs submitted and I get offered the position by applying directly or through an intermediate agent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: