Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How's the food at your school?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rioux

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: How's the food at your school? Reply with quote

Where I am it could be better - not awful but....
chinatimes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's ok, a bit too salty. So, I eat less or I would take some home.

Instead, I just cook in my kitchen and make it 100% of the way I want it.
MisterButtkins

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually some of the food in my school cafeteria is not bad.

They have two main types. The first type is more traditional type foods that sit in steamer trays at lunch and dinner. That stuff is terrible. The second type is fried rice, all sorts of noodles, and other rice dishes. Some of those are good. I can say that my school cafeteria has probably the best fried rice I've eaten in China. They also have extremely good gai fan. The bi bim bop and malatang are also not bad.
GeminiTiger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of the several years that I have lived in China this is the first year I have enjoyed the canteen. It's divided into three sections, rice and side dished, noodles of all varieties and a KFC-clone.

All three are passable and all three are cheap, I eat on average 1 meal a day in the canteen. It saves trips to the supermarket and saves time in cooking and again, it's cheap.

--Last year in another school the food was so bad I only ate it once.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shroob

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my university's canteens. There's 9 of them in total, though I only visit 2 of them regularly. Like others have said, there's different sections, for example the one I visit most frequently has:
1) La mian section
2) Rice noodle section
3) Deep fried section
4) 'Cooked to order' section - you choose the ingredients, they cook them
5) Steamed section
6) Boiled section
7) 'Bread' section - a variety of breads
Cool Buffet section - you get a try and walk along choosing what dishes you want.

Normally I'll cook myself breakfast, eat lunch in the canteen and then cook at home in the evening. While I like the canteen food, I enjoy cooking and can choose cuts of meat that aren't all fat or bone.
mnguy29

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ours is terrible. However, one of our foreign teachers commented on how good it is the other day. What planet is he from? On the one day I have to eat at the Uni, I pack my own lunch which is a peanut butter sandwich with an apple. Much better and no waiting in the damn lines!
kungfuman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not so good. I only ate there a few times. Plus we have to pay 10y a meal there. I go to Subway, Burger King, or KFC for lunch if I really need food.

Wish they had a White Castle here
Mr. Leafy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a steam tray at one end and menu ordering at the other.

The menu looks is pretty big and it is quite good and reasonably priced. A few dishes are really delicious. A lot of teachers get take out and go back to the staff housing. The cafeteria style food varies a lot - it can be good or terrible.

Breakfast (no choice, trays prepared) is awful though.

You have to charge up a prepaid card, they don't take cash. I find this useful but some may not.

One thing that bothers me - students are expected to scrape their trays after eating. At the end of lunch, for about one meter around the bins there is food and sauce all over the floor. In japan the pre-schooler could do a neater job of cleaning up after their meal!
mnguy29

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, for some unknown reason Chinese cannot put their trash "in" the bins. Same every morning on the streets. Garbage outside them, and they are not full?? Just don't get it?
kungfuman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mnguy29 wrote:
Yes, for some unknown reason Chinese cannot put their trash "in" the bins. Same every morning on the streets. Garbage outside them, and they are not full?? Just don't get it?

One day I asked my girlfriend about this as she tossed a bag at the garbage house and missed. She said she didn't have to clean it because they have people whose job it is to clean it so why should she?
choudoufu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the cafeteria food in kunming was incredible. there were (at least)
four cafeterias, and a separate halal place. each had steam trays and
small stalls rented out by entrepreneurs. the steam trays didn't look
terribly appetizing, but the other food was delicious. many varieties,
most 6-8 rmb. each meal would be cooked to order, you could watch
the artists at work preparing your food from freshly-prepared
ingredients. most would do special orders. i had the guy from lanzhou
make extra spicy gongbaojiding with so much "ma" that i couldn't
feel my face afterwards.

the food at the college here in hainan sucks. mostly steam tables,
but the food sits around for an hour or so before lunch begins. it's
all cold and greasy and tastes....."sticky." one window does a gaifan
that's not too bad, but the meat is mostly chicken necks and gristle.
the noodle window dispenses mainly instant noodles.
Miajiayou

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The food here is terrible. Cold, greasy, one of the (very) few times I ate it something definitely tasted like it had gone off and been doused in chili peppers to be served anyway.

So, I obviously bring my own lunch. If I had something against cooking, I would make the trek to a decent restaurant. I really feel for my students, though. No wonder they're all tired, pimply, and absent-minded.
LarssonCrew

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of my student's who are not farmers eat in the school cafeteria because they say the food is almost inedible.

Fortunately there are hundreds of small restaurasnts around the university which are cheap so it's not an issue to pick up two dishes and a rice for 10 yuan around here.

You can get amazing he fan, the boxed food with rice for 7 rmb, although they serve 4 dishes, and their 'order' menu only goes from 4 veg / 0 meat to 2 veg / 2 meat, they had a scramble around when I ordered 3 meat 1 veg, one day I even got 4 meat for the 'incredibly expensive' price of 9 rmb
Denim-Maniac

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite liked my training centres food. I would probably order food and eat there every lunch, and when Im trying to be careful with my money, 3 evenings a week too!

The dishes are all shared, with 7 people at each table. Each table has 5 dishes which are a variety including fish, meat, veg and tofu. The meat and fish isnt always great for my taste, but generally there would be 3 dishes I like. It goes without saying there is unlimited rice to accompany this! Each meal (lunch or dinner) costs 5 RMB.

I liked it for the convenience (1 minute from school - 90 seconds from my apartment) and also for the social element. 90% of my students are adults, and 90% of them are people I like, find interesting, and want to spend time with. Eating at school always suited me TBH.
ecubyrd

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My school's food is fine if you like Korean cafeteria food. It's not great by any stretch, but it is always edible and is free for teachers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: