Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chances in Spain with BA + CELTA but not much experience?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hasan84

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Chances in Spain with BA + CELTA but not much experience? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm thinking about going to Spain (Barcelona first choice, but would definitley consider Madrid or other cities).
Can anybody tell me how they think I'd fair in getting a teaching job with a BA in English Literature, a CELTA and a little experience? Basically it's been a few years since I've taught and my confidence is at a low. I'd like to find a job which offers training and would be gentle with me at first Smile
Also my Spanish level is fairly high... probably around the higher-intermediate level.

What is the best time to go?

Thanks in advance,

H
SirKirby

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best time to go? Probably about three to five weeks ago! Still possible to find a job, but it gets harder from October onwards.

Lack of TEFL experience not so much of a problem, assuming you already have experience teaching something else.
Hasan84

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well... I've missed the best time to go so I'll just have to take my chances and hope for something to pop up. I think I'll go visiting schools.

I do have ELT experience but it was about 4 years ago and my confidence has gone. I might do a refresher course or something.

Anyway, thanks for the reply. Any other info welcome Smile
SirKirby

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
my confidence has gone

Whatever else you do, at an interview, don't say that Confused !
Hasan84

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The scary thing is that I was considering mentioning it so that the potential employer might take it easy on me... thinking about it more, I will take your advice Cool
SirKirby

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to get into the mindset of your interviewer, typically the Director of Studies...

"My confidence has gone" => this candidate is a liabilty and won't last a fortnight!

"I've been away from teaching for four years so I know it will be a challenge but I'm excited by that" => this candidate is our man!

Rolling Eyes
Jintymac

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, I've just picked up on your discussion towards the end of last year. I'm in a similar situation - haven't taught in quite a while but I'm currently doing an advanced tefl online to refresh myself with the view to heading out to Spain for September time and I was curious to see how you got on. J
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: