Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teach English

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cptgulliver

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Teach English Reply with quote

Do not work for these people! They told me they would get me a work permit, had housing for me, insurance, money for flight etc.....They lied about everything. I got stuck doing visa runs every two weeks and it burned all my money! One of the worse experiences of my teaching life. Now I am destitute in Thailand thanks to these crooks!
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately welcome to Thailand.

Recruiters for Thailand that promise free airfare or airfare compensation are lying period! There are too many Native English speaking people in Thailand willing to work to extend thier time in Thailand. No school is going to pay airfare to come to Thailand.

You need to take off a couple of days from the school and go to Vientienne on Sunday night by bus. Go directly to the Thai embassy there in the morning, pay the fee for a Tourist Visa with a re-entry permit, 60 US dollars. Pick the Visa up on Tuesday and you should be back by in Bangkok by early Wednesday morning. That visa will last you two months and then you can leave and re-enter via Burma for another two months. Hopefully your school won't fire you just for doing that. Thais have a tendency to smile at you and then do whatever they want later at thier pleasure.

I hope you are at least making 30,000 Baht per month. If you aren't, go to a recruiter (I like Oriental English myself) and see if they can't line you up with a job in a couple of weeks that pays at least that much.

If your students are absolutely dismal, that is pretty much the way it is in virtually all schools in Thailand. Keep your classes very easy (Thai students refuse to work and learn). Find an easy way to give passing grades for each student, grade them on anything that comes to your mind to give them a good grade. Try to get a place to stay in a centralized locality in Bangkok and take a bus early in the morning to school. Don't get an apt at your school in the boonies only to find out that you have to leave the school and work at another school.

If you have no money to do anything at all, contact your embassy. They can probably do something for you, if it becomes an emergency, a flight out, money to stay in a guest house untill you can leave.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: