Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teachers Day Cash Gift Taxed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wonderingjoesmith

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Teachers Day Cash Gift Taxed Reply with quote

On one hand, I feel great for the attention, respect and extra money, but on the other I am puzzled about the reasons for taxing it. Judging by my pay slip (salary deposited automatically), I can't tell what's legal or not, and this is my very first earned money in the country. The scanned emailed slip states that my utilities and food allowance are also taxed.

Have any of you received cash gifts and if so have they been taxed?

I guess I am hoping for some forums knowledge of local laws, practices too.
kungfuman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

no one knows the laws.

there is always the chance that your employer keeps the tax they take out of your salary.

Ask for OFFICIAL TAX RECEIPTS. and see what happens.
chinadad

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On one hand, I feel great for the attention, respect and extra money,

Don't think many FT's get anything through a feeling of respect from their employers - of course there could be exceptions, but I think most on the forums usually associate employers gifts with some kind of ulterior motive - maybe something they claim shows how good and caring an employer they are when things starts to grate between you and the school.
johntpartee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
no one knows the laws

Ain't that the truth.
kimo50

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Official Tax Receipts Reply with quote

I have asked several times for a payslip that details my gross salary, tax deductions etc. Each time there is a lame excuse why this cannot be provided. Can someone provide me the legal reference re: payslip requirement? thanks
NoBillyNO

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try and find the tax office (local) to your area.. ask them by presenting your passport number.
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cash gifts are illegal. So taxing them would be strange. Get a tax receipt as suggested.
Zhejiang_Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Cash gifts are illegal.

So, I wonder what�s in the hundreds of millions of red envelopes that are exchanged each Spring Festival?
zacharybilton

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Teachers Day Cash Gift Taxed Reply with quote

wonderingjoesmith wrote:
On one hand, I feel great for the attention, respect and extra money, but on the other I am puzzled about the reasons for taxing it. Judging by my pay slip (salary deposited automatically), I can't tell what's legal or not, and this is my very first earned money in the country. The scanned emailed slip states that my utilities and food allowance are also taxed.

What is the issue here? It is common and required. Only reimbursements are non-taxable. Why would it not be? Just as in America, cash gifts are taxed. Any allowances and such are cash payments, a benefit, just like America and is taxed. Makes no sense that it's believe you can find a way to get cash for free. Money is money *unless it's a reimbursement* Besides, what are we talking about? 4 RMB?
Phat0

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Teachers Day Cash Gift Taxed Reply with quote

zacharybilton wrote:
wonderingjoesmith wrote:

What is the issue here? It is common and required. Only reimbursements are non-taxable. Why would it not be? Just as in America, cash gifts are taxed. Any allowances and such are cash payments, a benefit, just like America and is taxed. Makes no sense that it's believe you can find a way to get cash for free. Money is money *unless it's a reimbursement* Besides, what are we talking about? 4 RMB?

Are you so desperate to nit pick? It's a 3 year old post. Christ!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: