Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

China banning foreign international education agents?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: China banning foreign international education agents? Reply with quote

Can anyone seriously believe this? The reasons for banning them are exactly the reason more and more parents are going to these agents instead of getting duped by domestic ones. The worst quote of all comes from the China Daily. "A woman who is works for an unnamed domestic agency in Beijing gives this new law thumbs up because it will provide more transparency. The woman refused to give her name."

Wt---?

Hypocrisy anyone?

It all comes down to racism, nationalism, and restricting investment in China.
kungfuman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold on let me search this topic on Baidu because Google doesn't work too well lately...
LarssonCrew

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say this do you mean international agents who open a school, or agents who assist students into studying overseas?

I've been approached by four universities in Xi'an to set them up with 2+2 systems and also to help those current fourth years who wish to study masters abroad, because they were so unhappy with the services provided by domestic companies.
Sinaman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will it be policed as well as all the other crap they come up with?
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2012-10/31/content_15858536.htm

Horse's mouth

New regulations are likely to ban international agencies from providing education-exchange services in China, according to the Ministry of Education.

A recently published draft regulation allows provincial-level educational authorities to approve or reject qualifications of intermediary agencies, bans foreign agencies entering the market and strengthens supervision of the agencies.
GeminiTiger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do you expect from a country that brainwashes students from kindergarten through university with a so called "philosophy" course.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
waxwing

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an idle thought, but I wonder if this is in breach of WTO agreements? It certainly violates the spirit of them.
Nothing new there then...
xiguagua

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah not really surprising. They also don't WANT their people believing western education is so vastly superior to their own. Chinese people are flocking to overseas education atm. I look at it from a different POV, ban foreign agencies from offering student exchange programs, then basically control who is allowed to go abroad, AKA rich, government party members.

If I was a western school and got kicked out of recruiting, or being forced to go through a Chinese government operated intermediary, i'd just say fine....we're going to ban all Chinese nationals from attending our university. Of course......racism seems to always only go one way.......
Javelin of Radiance

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ban Chinese nationals from our universities? Say goodbye to your school.
wonderingjoesmith

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

American unis had done well before Chinese corrupted them.

Quote:
I wonder if this is in breach of WTO agreements?
An excellent point. As far as I remember, Bush was a strong opponent to China's entry. I bet the former ambassador to China knew what he was talking about.
Javelin of Radiance

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And how did Chinese corrupt American unis? Did the Chinese cause the funding shortfall that these unis are experiencing? A funding shortfall that is being met by having those Chinese students pay double and triple local tuition fees?
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chinese education agents operating from my home country ie the education destination, have a bad reputation too.
I wonder if there is a reciprocity thing available here? If I can't operate in China, why should Chinese operate here?
On a parallel note, Chinese tour operators in my (destination) country were ripping off Chinese tour groups that the government stepped in and curtailed their activities.
One example was posting a guard at hotel door to prevent tourists shopping at non approved stores ie those that were kicking back to the tour operators.
PS Maybe this thread should be on 'non job-related'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: