Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Environment, Nature, and Parks in Asia

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
adventureforme



Joined: 15 Feb 2012
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Environment, Nature, and Parks in Asia Reply with quote

Hey folks,

I will be visiting Asia for the first time next month and am a lover of the outdoors. I am also expecting to explore different areas with the idea of scoping out possible teaching locations.

Are there any countries in particular you believe place a high value on natural areas, take care of their environment, and have nice parks?

More specifically, are there any cities with a moderate demand for teachers that are particularly clean, have nice parks, or are within close proximity to natural areas (mountains, national parks, non-developed beach, etc.).

I realize Asia is giant and there could be large cultural/pay/requirement differences between countries/cities, but for the sake of simplicity lets just talk about the outdoors!

Thanks for any input!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Perilla



Joined: 09 Jul 2010
Posts: 783
Location: Hong Kong

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Environment, Nature, and Parks in Asia Reply with quote

adventureforme wrote:
Are there any countries in particular you believe place a high value on natural areas, take care of their environment, and have nice parks?

More specifically, are there any cities with a moderate demand for teachers that are particularly clean, have nice parks, or are within close proximity to natural areas (mountains, national parks, non-developed beach, etc.).


Japan places a higher value on countryside and nature than any other Asian country. And South Korea is better than most. I rate Seoul highly as a city. It's not too congested, has plenty of parks and offers easy access to scenic mountains - in fact you can get there by the city metro system. And Seoul has plenty of TEFL jobs. The same may apply to some cities in Japan.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nomad soul



Joined: 31 Jan 2010
Posts: 4257
Location: Terra firma

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Environment, Nature, and Parks in Asia Reply with quote

adventureforme wrote:
I will be visiting Asia for the first time next month and am a lover of the outdoors. I am also expecting to explore different areas with the idea of scoping out possible teaching locations.

It would help to know your academic qualifications/TEFL cert and TEFL experience.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
adventureforme



Joined: 15 Feb 2012
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the insight, Perilla.

Nomad, I didn't bother with qualifications because I am just scoping out at this point. If I find a nice spot that requires a certification or additional experience, that is something I will plan on doing.

But if it helps you suggest a place...

I am a young male US citizen with a BA in an unrelated field. I have minimal teaching experience--coaching tennis to children (over 5 years ago) and volunteering as an ESL tutor (for a short period of time)--and have been working in an unrelated industry for the last 3.5 years after graduation. I do not have a certification.

Jeff
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tudor



Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 251

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite their small sizes, Singapore and Hong Kong have lots of green spaces. OK, so they're not exactly out in the wilds, but there's plenty of nice parks, some secluded islands, and some reasonable walking opportunities in both places.

On the downside, they're both expensive places to live, and jobs aren't as plentiful as some other Asian destinations.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Perilla



Joined: 09 Jul 2010
Posts: 783
Location: Hong Kong

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tudor wrote:
Despite their small sizes, Singapore and Hong Kong have lots of green spaces. OK, so they're not exactly out in the wilds, but there's plenty of nice parks, some secluded islands, and some reasonable walking opportunities in both places.

On the downside, they're both expensive places to live, and jobs aren't as plentiful as some other Asian destinations.


The problem with HK and Singa is that neither of them is easy to find decently paid work, especially for someone without quals and experience. I agree HK does have some nice spots, but Korea wins hands down on the countryside and culture front, and offers far more in the way of jobs for those without quals or exp.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2011 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Road2Spain - TEFL and Spanish with one year student visa
EBC