Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anybody know this lot?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:19 am    Post subject: Anybody know this lot? Reply with quote

Thought I'd contribute to a rather quiet thread.

Was wondering if anyone has heard of "Gulf University for Science and Techonology"? (GUST).

they are advertising on Dave's.

[/url]http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/index.cgi?read=7910[url][/url]
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cleo,

I was wondering about that place myself. It's always so hard to find out anything about places that may not have yet actually 'hired' anyone. Smile I will check around and see if I can find out anything.

One interesting thing that I noted was that it was affiliated with the University of Missouri, St Louis. MCBS in Oman is affiliated with them. It appears that UMSL was happy with their collaboration and have decided to try it again.

I fear that they will find that dealing with the Kuwaiti bureaucracy is way different from dealing with the Omanis. Smile

VS
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee, isn't this the second "first private university" we've seen in Q8 this year?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bindair,

I must admit that I thought the same thing. I wonder if it is the same one with a new name just to confuse us? It has been a long time since the other place advertised and they don't seem to be searching for anyone for September.

VS
ohman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:12 pm    Post subject: GUST Gulf University of Shenanigans and Tomfoolery Reply with quote

It is basically a parking lot filled with Jags, BMWs, Mercedes, Porches, Lexus etc with a building full of classrooms attached. It is a private university established under the mentorship of an American school, the University of Mo. St. Louis but like so many things in Kuwait, it's all veneer, make believe, all show.

Tuition is about 12,000 US a year--the credits are not transferable. For the moneyed students it is a baraka, a blessing as the Banat and Shebab now have a place to meet up and sit in the cafeteria--boy-girl-boy-girl--skipping classes rejoicing in their pherenomes and designer labels. No real education takes place. The administration is clueless and arrogant.

There is no other place in this country where so much co-educational subversion is practiced so openly. These privileged students might not be up to braving CS gas and water cannons, but they are doing their best to advance modernity by flashing a little skin the coffee shop.

I know a few teachers there who all wish they were someplace else. Avoid it.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ohman,

Ha!! Though I must say that it sounds like an average parking lot in Kuwait. My little Tercel looked rather sad in the parking lot, even though the only model sold in Kuwait was the one with the fancy paint job and every possible extra Toyota ever added. And the cafeteria sounds not all that different from my KU departments experience. But, my students were mostly very serious.

Is the management local or foreign? And why is it that the teachers are unhappy? There is nothing in your message that I would find that onerous. I would be more interested in knowing about things like - how is the pay? Does it arrive on schedule? Do the benefits match other places?

Lots of teachers can live with lazy, flirtations students who drive nicer cars than them Laughing

VS
ohman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sources tell me that the pay is good, about 700 KD plus a few perks for transportation and internet connection brining it close to 800. The housing is good--not above average good.

My sources tell me that if one is looking for a teaching position that allows you to keep a low profile, fly below radar, crunch numbers for grades, manipulate attendance records then the students are happy and administration doesn't have to work. A displeased student can send shockwaves thoughout Hawalli. Play the game, do what you can to teach to the test and it sounds like a decent job although the daily pandemonium resulting from a supervisor who must wear fifty hats and Kuwaiti coordinators who are seldom around added to a natural inclination towards diligence makes some unhappy.

The administration is all Kuwaiti except for a few who have to do grunt work like get people housed and legal.

There's a rant on the journal about GUST. check it out.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ohman,

Sounds almost tolerable if one is desperate for a paycheck. Smile That should provide possible applicants with food for thought.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: