Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can a NET find a good job in the Philippines?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Philippines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rioux

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:19 am    Post subject: Can a NET find a good job in the Philippines? Reply with quote

Can a native English teacher find a good job in the Philippines? If so, where? What company or school can a NET apply and work for that is a good place to be? I don't know of any.
May the list begin......
tttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: Can a NET find a good job in the Philippines? Reply with quote

rioux wrote:
Can a native English teacher find a good job in the Philippines? If so, where? What company or school can a NET apply and work for that is a good place to be? I don't know of any.
May the list begin......

Short answer is no.

The Philippines is a net exporter of EFL teachers to places like China, Thailand and the rest of ASEAN.

Unless you hold a 13a (legal work possible) and a degree (and can write the LET), home country certifications as a teacher (work visa possible in some of the better international schools) or a PhD (get work in one of the better universities) your chances of anything that pays anything are slim.

Odd jobs in Korean language academies are possible but the work is inconstant, the pay is crud (when they remember to pay you) and the job won't come with visa sponsorship.

rioux

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would think that with many Filipinos needing to have really high conversational English skills that there would be at least a few (one?) places where there would be a demand for native English speakers.

The same would hold true concerning the fact that there are tons of Koreans there. I know that they enjoy the "cheap labor" of paying the Filipinos next to nothing for English classes but why such an extreme lack of places they can go to and take classes with native English speakers. I figured at least one Korean businessman/woman would see the need for this as well.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rioux wrote:
You would think that with many Filipinos needing to have really high conversational English skills that there would be at least a few (one?) places where there would be a demand for native English speakers.

The same would hold true concerning the fact that there are tons of Koreans there. I know that they enjoy the "cheap labor" of paying the Filipinos next to nothing for English classes but why such an extreme lack of places they can go to and take classes with native English speakers. I figured at least one Korean businessman/woman would see the need for this as well.

There are lots of native speakers.
They are American born and raised of Filipino parents (thus are citizens of the Philippines), are well educated and don't have visa issues.

Retired Americans (SRRV) who have made their home in the RP and don't have visa issues to worry about and who can legally work.

Balikbayans who worked for 20 years in the states as OFWs and who have returned home to the RP and who are able and willing to take on part-time work.

There are also lots of well educated Filipinos who speak English as well as a native speaker (TOEIC scores above 850 / IELTS above 7.5); I have about 30 on my faculty at the moment; and they are willing to work for much less than a "native speaker".

stumptowny

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the government does not require NET to teach in the phils. anywhere. the work to be found is private language schools usually owned by korean or japanese owners, catering to tourists on vacation who can pay up for white teachers or who want a blend of white teachers and phils teachers for their vacation "learning"

you will never work at a public school in the phils or teach any phils people (even though their english is torrid to paltry accent wise). there are a couple int. schools. but the money is so low.. why bother at that point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Philippines All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: