Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching from your apartment

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyznFree

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:40 am    Post subject: Teaching from your apartment Reply with quote

Hi Japan ESL teachers,

I'm thinking of coming to Japan to teach English but have a few questions:

1) Do you know anyone who teaches classes in their apartment?
2) Is it illegal, and if so, how likely would someone get caught?
3) How much money are private teachers making over there for privates, small classes, and big classes?

Some info about myself...I've been in the ESL game here in mainland China for the past 3 years and know several people making a killing teaching in their apartments here. I could do the same here fairly easy, but have been thinking of trying Japan (mainly for the culture and change of pace) so I'm musing the possibilities.

I really appreciate any and all contributions!

Ryan
G Cthulhu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Teaching from your apartment Reply with quote

Unlike China, private clients do not magically appear from the sky. Moreover, you'd probably be in breach of your lease to run a business out of the apartment.

More than that, it's tacky, and the Jpns don't tend to do (that kind of) tacky.
OneJoelFifty

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not illegal, any more than teaching in a cafe or wherever else.

I charge 3,000 Yen an hour for a private class, 2,500 per student for two at a time, and 2,000 each for three or four students together. I don't take classes for more than that as I don't think students get enough teacher time, although I've never come across a bigger group anyway. I don't really rely on the extra money, so that's probably towards the higher end for a private class. I'm sure in Tokyo you can find teachers that will give lessons for 2,000 an hour. However, students pay upwards of 4,000 Yen per class to language schools.

You're not likely to make a lot of money unless you really work at it. I guess that would mean advertising, and I don't know at which point you stop being someone making some money on the side and have to call yourself a business.
RyznFree

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info guys,

Not terribly lucrative or practical in Japan it seems...
Glenski

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People give private lessons in their own apartments, the students' apartments, coffee shops, bars, community centers, info centers, etc. Some landlords are even in favor of it in special cases, but I wouldn't announce it, if I were you.

People seem to have been charging less and less over the past 10 years, to the point that I cringe whenever I hear what a student expects to pay. What others have written about the time needed to acquire students is correct most of the time, and one problem that many complain about here is that students will quit at the drop of a hat. I've also found that many/most people who give private lessons don't have a good sense of business, either.

My main question is whether you are thinking of doing this withOUT having a work visa. Getting paid for work without a visa is definitely illegal. Penalties (if caught) can be pretty stiff. Don't risk it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: