Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Zirve University-I lasted 4 weeks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
montague

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Zirve University-I lasted 4 weeks Reply with quote

If you ever consider working there, consider the following:

Many of the apartments are difficult to sleep in. My bedroom window was over one restaurant and my living room window was over another. There were vacant apartments, but they refused to move me or my neighbor.

They loan you a school computer. When you go to pick it up, they give you a contract in Turkish to sign. I refused to sign it, so I did not get a computer. Eventually, they translated it into English and it holds the teacher responsible for anything that goes wrong with the computer. Also, it is a 3 year old, used computer, but based on the contract, if the entire computer broke, they could hold you responsible for buying them a brand new computer. My Turkish office mate's power cord broke after one year and he had to replace it himself. People also go into other's offices and steal others power cords, so they don't have to pay to replace their own.

The teachers who were there last year told me they were regularly paid late-one month 9 days late.

They demand a 500 lira security deposit for the apartment. Teachers from last year told me that those who left, lost their security deposit when the manager of Petek (the apartment name) claimed they damaged furniture or other things in the apartment, even though it was damaged when they moved in.

They nickel and dime you on a lot of things.

The salary you get will be $200 less than the amount you see quoted in their ads. That amount is called a "bonus" and allegedly paid at the end of the contract. Just don't have a broken computer or who knows how much they might deduct from your bonus.

You better like meetings, workshops and being watched and evaluated by a lot of people because they do a lot of that.

If you have any specific questions, you can pm me. If you want to read a more detailed account:

MOD EDIT
montague

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it's an attempt to give prospective teachers a realistic idea of what it is like to work there.

When I posted an inquiry here this summer before I went there, almost no one would give me any specifics about the place. That was the purpose of my post.

As far as trying it for ten years, it only took me four weeks to see how badly they were trying to screw us. If you've been there ten years, and you still haven't realized it, maybe you should start taking some insurance classes and switch careers.
delal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: not a bad idea Reply with quote

Actually it seems like a profitable thing you've got going:work somewhere for a month, study the locals, gather materıal and then wrıte a book. A bit like those nanny books...
Better not show your face ın Antep agaın or even try and work ın Turkey agaın though Laughing
montague

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Turkey has been scratched off my travel schedule for the next 75 years.

I woke up this morning to an email from my former boss asking me to remove the book because I used the name of the university without their permission. Otherwise, they reserve the right to take necessary action against this.

I wonder if he forgot that I am a lawyer. Granted I am not an intellectual property lawyer, but I am about 99% sure I am on solid legal footing. I suppose his argument may fly in Turkey, but I think not in America.

They tried something similar last year against teachers who posted negative things about them here. They threatened that they would track them down by ip address, and that they could fire them or prosecute them in Turkey. Oh how I miss Gaziantep.
delal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no direct experience of Zirve, but I hope your book doesn't put anyone off Turkey in general as ıt's a great place
sixthchild

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't agree more! Btw, how long was your contract for?
delal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just re-read your post, Montague: there was a long thread on this forum about Zirve a while back
billy orr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To have written off Turkey and written a book after just four weeks in work is remarkably quick. You didn't arrive with an agenda by any chance, montagu?
sixthchild

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the original thread was more..... interesting!
montague

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said before, when it becomes apparent in a short period of time how badly they are trying to screw you, why stick around?
sixthchild

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, so you didn't actually sign a contract then?
La Reve

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:02 am    Post subject: Zirve University Reply with quote

Delal,

That was terribly rude and inconsiderate to say 'never show your face again in Antep'.

If that's an example of Turkish people, well, like he said, he ain't coming back here in 75 years.

Thanks for the update on Zirve University.....
The Steakinator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Gulf, I worked with a lady who had run off from a Zirve contract. She said it was awful, absolutely awful (still loved Turkey, though).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: