Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

JET programme application advice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mersshroyer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: JET programme application advice Reply with quote

I know that there is already quite a bit of this on the forum, but I wanted to invite anyone else who might be applying to ask questions and those that have participated to share some of their wisdom.

So, here are my questions:
1. For the reference letters, I have asked one of the few linguistics instructors at my university who taught me for more than just 1 term and also a big-wig manager of the store where I worked for 4 years during college. Both of them can say good things about my work ethic and personality, but are they strong enough references? I also considered asking the volunteer coordinator at a community college where I volunteered as an ESL tutor for 3 months, but I didn't think it would be the best choice since 3 months is pretty short.

2. 2 years ago, I went for stress-related counselling and was on anti-depressants for a month. I don't think any real diagnosis was made and I stopped going after about 2 months because I was feeling okay. I'm in Argentina now and the counsellor doesn't want to sign the physician's form because he can't speak for how I'm doing now, having not seen me in 2 years. A person at the Japanese embassy said I can have an Argentine physician sign it in English. But how much will this weaken my application?

3. Lastly, is there anyone willing to peer-review my SoP?

Thank you!
Glenski

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Any solid reference is a plus. If you don't have all of your references from some teaching institution, so be it. Give what you can.

2. No idea.

3. Sorry, way too busy right now.

Best of luck.
G Cthulhu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: JET programme application advice Reply with quote

mersshroyer wrote:

2. 2 years ago, I went for stress-related counselling and was on anti-depressants for a month. I don't think any real diagnosis was made and I stopped going after about 2 months because I was feeling okay. I'm in Argentina now and the counsellor doesn't want to sign the physician's form because he can't speak for how I'm doing now, having not seen me in 2 years. A person at the Japanese embassy said I can have an Argentine physician sign it in English. But how much will this weaken my application?

Do not put it on the app. It's irrelevant at this point and can only weaken it.
mersshroyer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: JET programme application advice Reply with quote

G Cthulhu wrote:

Do not put it on the app. It's irrelevant at this point and can only weaken it.

Good to know, but is it possible for them to look into my health records and discover it or something? Maybe sounds like a dumb question but the authorization/waiver thing sounds pretty serious. I just don't want to get into trouble.
G Cthulhu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: JET programme application advice Reply with quote

If you're selected you'll have to complete a medical. If you weren't diagnosed previously then there's nothing to report on that front. Why would you volunteer the info if it's not a recorded medical fact?

As with any job application, don't go volunteering information that can get your app culled.

Remember, at the application stage they're looking for reasons to ditch apps.
mersshroyer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know. Made the changes to my app.
Last question, I swear Embarassed
Does it weaken your application to state a preference for a placement that isn't extremely isolated? I stated Sapporo, Kanagawa prefecture and Ishikawa as my 3 preferences after some research. I also put suburbs as my preferred location type.
I'm tempted to just take it off the app though because it's not like I'm going to die in a small village, I would just be happier somewhere more populated.

Thoughts??
kpjf

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mersshroyer wrote:
Good to know. Made the changes to my app.
Last question, I swear Embarassed
Does it weaken your application to state a preference for a placement that isn't extremely isolated? I stated Sapporo, Kanagawa prefecture and Ishikawa as my 3 preferences after some research. I also put suburbs as my preferred location type.
I'm tempted to just take it off the app though because it's not like I'm going to die in a small village, I would just be happier somewhere more populated.

Thoughts??

I'm not sure if there's a section you can enter 3 places (i'm not familiar with the application form); if there is of course why wouldn't people take advantage of this? If not, and you're simply writing this in you could say at the end something to the nature that if you were not placed in one of these areas that you'd be more than happy to be placed anywhere they decide if successful.

And it's not like you've chosen Tokyo, Osaka, and Kyoto! I'd say (however, as no expert) that they'd be the 3 most desired cities.
mersshroyer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kpjf wrote:
I'm not sure if there's a section you can enter 3 places (i'm not familiar with the application form); if there is of course why wouldn't people take advantage of this? If not, and you're simply writing this in you could say at the end something to the nature that if you were not placed in one of these areas that you'd be more than happy to be placed anywhere they decide if successful.

Yeah there are three slots where you can select a prefecture and city. I selected the prefecture, but left the specific cities blank because I'm sure I'd be fine in any suburb with an izakaya, a supermarket and a train station that can take me elsewhere.

I just don't want to detract from the fact that I'm an adaptable person, I guess.
G Cthulhu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nominating requests isn't a problem. If you get an interview they will, however, ask you *why* you put those requests so you need to have some sort of reason for them. Just as they will ask about why you requested JHS vs SHS.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: