Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching Classes in Your Apartment

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyznFree

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:35 am    Post subject: Teaching Classes in Your Apartment Reply with quote

Hi Taiwan ESL teachers,

I'm thinking of coming to Taiwan to teach English but have a few questions:

1) Do you know anyone who teaches classes in their apartment?
2) Is it illegal, and if so, how likely would someone get caught?
3) How much money are private teachers making over there for privates, small classes, and big classes?

Some info about myself...I've been in the ESL game here in mainland China for the past 3 years and know several people making a killing teaching in their apartments here. I could do the same here fairly easy, but have been thinking of trying Taiwan (mainly for the culture, access to nature, and weather) so I'm musing the possibilities.

I really appreciate any and all contributions!

Ryan
52skidoo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
As far as I know it's legal.
I am married to a Taiwanese and I get my private classes through her. One summer just before the school year let out in June, I put up a flyer in the neighborhood for small group summer classes, one in the morning, teaching English, Art and Cooking, to little kids and one in the afternoon teaching 10-12 year olds. I made 90,000 nt in two months.
The going rate here is 600 to 1000 nt per hour, depending on location and what is taught. If they come to my house I give them the lowest price, if I have to travel I give them the highest price.

But all that said, private classes here are very fickled. Adults tend to quit at a moments notice. Kids last longer sometimes 2 or 3 years.

If you are over 50, forget about coming to Taiwan, there are tons of young people here taking up all the jobs. I have been under-employed for two years now.

I am not crazy about the food, culture or weather here in Taipei, but to each his own, most teachers get burned out here after one or two years, regular salaried jobs pay decently, around 65,000 nt per month, some people can save about half of that, which isn't too bad, but expectations of parents and school admin. Is unreasonable. Usually they expect a teacher to be 100% enrgized at all times, like the Ever-Ready battery bunny. Then after one year they toss you you like a used cigarette lighter and find a new person to burn out.

I would like to teach in China but I would have to go back to the states to get a Z visa, and all that travel costs too much.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: