Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Option Ideas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kootenay

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Option Ideas Reply with quote

Hello everyone,
This is my 1st time posting. I'm a middle-aged rookie just back from teaching in Vietnam for 6 months.
I'm finding this forum very informative, albeit a tad disheartening. Thought I could get a job in the Middle East with an Tesol Cert., Instructors Diploma, despite being just a couple of courses short of a BA.
According to posters this is extremely unlikely. So any other location suggestions? I do need to end up financially ahead.
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to Asia. Except that even there (probably the strongest job market in EFL in the world) you've got very few options without even a BA of any kind....the employers in the countries where the pay is enough to 'end up financially ahead' require papers......more than you've got, I'm afraid.
Abdullah the Enforcer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thought I could get a job in the Middle East with an Tesol Cert., Instructors Diploma, despite being just a couple of courses short of a BA.

Abdullah say no can!
Eisenhorn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to China. You have better teaching options with a TEFL cert and a western face.... you don't need the degree and papers that you need in the middle east. Lower cost of living.

while there, enroll in an online degree program to get your BA and MA.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are serioius about TEFling - get a BA, or MA
kootenay

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Option Ideas cont Reply with quote

Hi again,
Thanks for prompt responses. Letting go of middle east aspirations. Continuing to slog away at BA, via distance ed. 5 courses to go. Meanwhile, still hoping to get work in January. My income and teaching goals sound more modest than most of yours. hmm China just doesn't appeal, Thailand? Latin America?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Option Ideas cont Reply with quote

kootenay wrote:
Letting go of middle east aspirations. Continuing to slog away at BA, via distance ed. 5 courses to go. Meanwhile, still hoping to get work in January. My income and teaching goals sound more modest than most of yours. hmm China just doesn't appeal, Thailand? Latin America?

I suggest you post on the general Latin Am. and Asia forums for info about TEFL in those regions.
kootenay

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes...realizing I could have/should read more of the newbie forum before jumping to countries. Sure appreciate the generosity of this community...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: