Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visa Required to bring Thai Wife to Saudi.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DMPT

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Visa Required to bring Thai Wife to Saudi. Reply with quote

Hi guys, I presume there's quite a few guys on here that have experience of this.

Can you tell me what visa an EU national (born and raised) needs to have for Saudi Arabia in order for his Thai wife of 3 years (never been outside of Thailand before) and their infant child to come and live with him in Saudi Arabia while he works there?

I believe that if you work there, if you have a certain visa, your Thai wife (and presumably infant child) can be joined on this visa (something like a Visa for Spouse of foreign worker or whatever), that allows them to live there for the duration of your contract?

If so, what Visa is it, and what else is required?

Thanks
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I recall, you haven't yet finished your B.A. in TESOL program, so I'm surprised you were offered a position. (I hope you checked out the employer thoroughly; this doesn't seem like a stable or legit work situation.) But to answer your question, your lack of a degree will limit what type of visa you'd be approved for. In order to have your spouse/family live with you, you'd need an employment visa, which would lead to an iqama (residence permit). However, an employment visa requires authentication of a (completed) college/university degree, which will be an issue for you. Visa requirements can be found on the Saudi Embassy's website.

Seriously, you should consider staying in your current job until you finish your degree. Then look at TEFL opportunities in those countries where a BA can earn you a decent salary and where you can have your wife and child live with you without any visa hassles.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW... the problem is not that your wife is Thai. It would be the same issue if she also held an EU passport.

VS
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are rules about bringing in dependants. Generally speaking this PRIVILEGE is open to those of graduate status or with an important skill.

It is NOT related to nationality. The fact that your wife is Thai is neither here nor there.

The question is WHAT QUALIFICATIONS DO YOU HAVE ?

Get a degree !
Fatboy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Bringing a Thai wife and child Reply with quote

The passport office asked me for the following:

A copy of my degree
A copy of my contract with start and finishing date included
A certified copy of my marriage certifice from the Thai embassy
A certified copy of my son's birth certificate.

When you submit these documents, they will give you a "yellow paper" if you have been approved (about a week later). This yellow paper is a type of pre-approval.

Afterwards you take the yellow paper to the Saudi embassy in Thailand (Bangkok). They will tell you where your wife can get the required medical tests completed. After completing the medical tests, you will submit the results to the embassy along with her passport and about a week later she will receive her visa. Your son does not need to do the medical tests.

This will enable your wife and son to live with you in KSA.
DMPT

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your information.

The situation is as follows.

My ex-colleague has just arrived there a week ago, after they flew him from Bangkok.

They have him set up in a nice apartment, a good easy job, a good salary and are looking for more teachers.

He doesn't have a degree. They initially flew him over on a month tourist visa, and are flying him to Bahrain next month where they say he will get his working visa to allow him to stay until for the duration of his contract, and will also allow his wife to come and stay.

He's only been there a week, so I haven't bothered him demanding exact details on exactly what is going on.

My own degree situation is I'm studying a B.A. TESOL which is combination of online and onsite work. I mostly have online modules to finish, and would be able to finish all of them while based there if I go and my wife and child can join me.
wantok

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typical. Another Saudi visa scam.

There's no such thing as a "tourist" visa for individuals intending to travel through Saudi Arabia. "Tourist" visas are granted to groups. Rarely.

Is your co-worker Muslim? That being the case, I suspect that a Hajj or Umrah (pilgrimage) visa was issued. Illegal to work, deportations daily.

Teaching without an undergrad degree? Illegal.

The visa procured in Bahrain will likely be a 3-month business visit visa, not an employment visa. Illegal again.

Do you wish to subject your family to the shenanigans which will ensue?
DMPT

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I edited out the AFAIK after I posted about his 'Tourist visa'. Very Happy

I believe his initial visa is for one month to six weeks in length, then they'll fly him to Bahrain. I don't know any more than that.

Other than he isn't Muslim.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would wait until this fellow has been there for... a few months? There are so many shady employers who have their teachers working illegally... while not telling them so.

You need to know what kind of visa he is getting in Bahrain. Whether he ever gets a legal iqama. And most important to you... does he ever get his family in on a legal visa? (visas that don't require all of them to be making constant visa runs)

For now all you have is vague promises from an employer. These employers are famous for telling new hires what they want to hear... with little relationship to reality.

VS
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably a business visa, the one that says EMPLOYMENT NOT PERMITTED
DMPT

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw, I won't be going anywhere until at least Sept. 2013, so another 10 months away. I will presume from info. in here that he'll be getting a business visa then, but will wait and see.

Without all the dramatics, what is the procedure of living in KSA on a Bus. Visa. A visa run to Bahrain every 3 months? Which presumably takes 2 days for them to process it? How easy is it for people (for example one's Thai wife) to also get these?

Cheers.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DMPT wrote:
Without all the dramatics, what is the procedure of living in KSA on a Bus. Visa. A visa run to Bahrain every 3 months? Which presumably takes 2 days for them to process it? How easy is it for people (for example one's Thai wife) to also get these?

Yes, with a business visit visa, regular visa runs are usually involved, although some companies are able to renew your visa without you having to leave KSA. (Do a forum search on this visa type.) But, no, your wife wouldn't be able to get a business visit visa unless she too will be (illegally) working for the school/company. The best she could get would be a family visit visa for her and the baby to visit you for 6 months. In addition to it being short term, it could also be a problem if you're in housing slated for "bachelors."
DMPT

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.
lynnknows

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YOU CAN get a business visa for your wife. You DO NOT need a degree for a business visa.

I was going in and out of KSA for a long time on a business visa. A friend of mine with a business got one for my husband(he has no degree) and I ws put on as his dependent along with my three children. We didnt use to to work. We only got it for me to go see my friends.
A person can go to the immigration office and renew their visa without leaving the company for a fee. There is really no need to go to Bahrain.

That being said, if your intention is to live and work there I would not recommend this type of visa. You will be limited with what you can and cannot do. Please wait until you have your degree and can go their with a REALY employment visa that will lead to an iqama. If you don't you are not only putting yourself in a bad situation but your wife and child. Why risk it for a few bucks.
wantok

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOD edit
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: