Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apostille in the UK?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deceptacon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Apostille in the UK? Reply with quote

Hi. I'm aware I'll need to get my docs apostilled before getting work in Mexico, but this isn't that common in the UK so I wondered if anyone was able to tell me how to go about this.

Also, will I need my birth certificate? I'll need to get a replacement if so... oh dear...

Any help much appreciated!
tideout

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Apostille in the UK? Reply with quote

Deceptacon wrote:
Hi. I'm aware I'll need to get my docs apostilled before getting work in Mexico, but this isn't that common in the UK so I wondered if anyone was able to tell me how to go about this.

Also, will I need my birth certificate? I'll need to get a replacement if so... oh dear...

Any help much appreciated!

You definitely need a birth certificate with an apostille. TESOL cert with apostille and your University diploma with an apostille......

I'm running into a weird situation in GTO state where you should have a copy of your courses and credits for certain schools....weird and I hope not the norm in most states here.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You definitely need a birth certificate with an apostille.

I have only ever seen this to be the case for officialdom outside of getting a work permit...registering a child's birth here for example. Has your experience been different? Otherwise, for DF, I'd say no birth certificate is needed at all. A passport is the more important piece of ID.

Last edited by Guy Courchesne on Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:36 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Phil_K

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm from the UK, and I was never asked for a birth certificate. I think it's assumed that if you have passport, you must have a birth certificate in order to have applied for the passport. Kinda logical, eh?
tideout

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Guy Courchesne"]
Quote:

I have only ever seen this to be the case for officialdom outside of getting a work permit...registering a child's birth here for example. Has your experience been different? Otherwise, for DF, I'd say to birth certificate is needed at all. A passport is the more important piece of ID.[/quote

It's been a few years since I worked in the southern part of Mexico - I may be mis-remembering it now but it seems like I did have to have it then.

One problem I'm running into here in GTO is that the requirements seem very different from what I remember in the State of Oaxaca. I'd bring everything including the kitchen sink rather than have to start a document process later.

And yes, I'd get the sink apostilled. Surprised

What about the difference between a cedula profesional vs. what I guess is the work permit you're referring to? Maybe you can clarify Guy?

I'm finding a cedula profesional process to be a bit of a drag here -maybe a non-starter for me.
tideout

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Guy Courchesne"]
Quote:

I have only ever seen this to be the case for officialdom outside of getting a work permit...registering a child's birth here for example. Has your experience been different? Otherwise, for DF, I'd say to birth certificate is needed at all. A passport is the more important piece of ID.[/quote

It's been a few years since I worked in the southern part of Mexico - I may be mis-remembering it now but it seems like I did have to have it then.

One problem I'm running into here in GTO is that the requirements seem very different from what I remember in the State of Oaxaca. I'd bring everything including the kitchen sink rather than have to start a document process later.

And yes, I'd get the sink apostilled. Surprised

What about the difference between a cedula profesional vs. what I guess is the work permit you're referring to? Maybe you can clarify Guy?

I'm finding a cedula profesional process to be a bit of a drag here -maybe a non-starter for me.
championthewonderhorse

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think the word "logic" comes into play when SEP and INM are involved.

I have just been involved in a process at ITESM where I had to take a licenciatura en ense�anza del ingles. I had to get everything apostilled including my birth certificate, O levels, A levels, etc. They even wanted a primary school certificate though we don't have this in the UK.

My advice is to check what they need and send everything off together. The apostille process is very fast in the UK but a little expensive. In Mexico it is another matter, slow and Kafkaesque. So far I have spent over 15,000 on courier services, legalisation, cedula professional and so o
championthewonderhorse

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just been involved in a process at ITESM where I had to take a licenciatura en ense�anza del ingles. I had to get everything apostilled including my birth certificate, O levels, A levels, etc. They even wanted a primary school certificate though we don't have this in the UK.

My advice is to check what they need and send everything off together. The apostille process is very fast in the UK but a little expensive. In Mexico it is another matter, slow and Kafkaesque. So far I have spent over 15,000 on courier services, legalisation, cedula professional and so o
championthewonderhorse

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice is to try and find a position first, then check what they need and send everything off together from Mexico. The apostille process is very fast in the UK but a little expensive.
tideout

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

championthewonderhorse wrote:

My advice is to try and find a position first, then check what they need and send everything off together from Mexico. The apostille process is very fast in the UK but a little expensive.

I appreciate your posting this actually. Before I continue off-track, I do think your point about finding out first what the school needs first is generally a good idea. I also think these things in Mexico are not very uniforme.

My current example FWIW. I'm staying in a building w/ a woman from another country who's teaching in her area of study - not English but a social science. She's teaching at a public university. She does not have a cedula profesional but one version or another of an FM3.

It appears for me to teach English at the same public institution I'd need a cedula profesional. I'm told from a Mexican friend of mine in government that the current turnaround time on a cedula profesional is about 3 months in this state.

The "process" is one that requires the government office to check and see if the courses I took in my university are also offered in the university I'd be teaching in. If you hit 75% then lucky you, you win. If not, you won't get approved. It's a bit ironic but I was an exchange student in an Asian country and many of my credits are specific to the region under the history and political science dept.. Bottom line is I doubt this particular university would "match" my course credits....this despite the fact I'm quite qualified to teach TESOL here and have already done so under an FM3 myself.....Kafkaesque is right.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

No, I have no experience with th cedula but I think following the line of this thread, it depends much more on the employing institution - and of course SEP - than on immigration.

My girlfriend also worked at ITESM and was required to show an apostilled BC, but not a cedula professional - in fact, she doesn't have one now and doesn't need it at the ASF. She was at Tec five years ago though, before some changes in SEP policy.

Might be worth knowing more about what kind of work the OP is looking for...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MotherF

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also never known anyone to need an apostilled birth certicate for INM, but employers often ask for a simple copy for themselves, not for INM. You do need an apostilled birth certificate to get married in Mexico. And to apply for naturalization. If you have the money to get it done--why not, you never know what turn your life might take. Wink
Deceptacon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice! I've ordered a new birth certificate (I couldn't believe it was that easy!) and will check the apostille situation with solicitors asap. There's a chance I might have a job in Oaxaca in December so I need to get things sorted now - coming over from the UK is a bit more complicated!

I really appreciate this. Cheers fellas y muchas gracias x
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: