Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Diving in head first, some specific questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zbird

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Diving in head first, some specific questions Reply with quote

I'm planning on going over to Japan and looking for jobs there the beginning of next year. Before I do, I just want to make sure I have all the knowledge of the process I should take. Here are my questions, and I would really appreciate anyone that can answer them:

1. What exactly is the job application process? Should I send my resume to all the schools in the area I'll be in first before leaving, or should I just contact them saying that I will be there and would like the meet with them in person? If the latter, what more specifically should these emails contain?

2. Say for any firms I haven't contacted, do people just go there with no advance notice and ask to speak to the manager about a job opening or is that frowned upon?

3. If the answer to #2 is yes, what should I be wearing on these job hunts? Should I wear a suit or save that for the actual interview? Upon entering, am I expected to speak in Japanese to the clerk, and are there any formalities I should be aware of?

4. How can I find all the English schools in a specific area?

5. How much does being Asian American hurt my chances of landing a job?

6. Would my chances be greater in a smaller city or large city?

Sorry it's a bit long, I guess I would really like to know the answers to the first 4, I've read a couple opinions on the last 2 but if anyone wants to tackle them all it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.
Glenski

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. What exactly is the job application process? Should I send my resume to all the schools in the area I'll be in first before leaving, or should I just contact them saying that I will be there and would like the meet with them in person? If the latter, what more specifically should these emails contain?
    *I have been here 14 years and couldn't begin to tell you how to find all the schools in any one area.
    *Shotgunning is not a good idea for resumes.
    *Choosing just one area (you did write that as singular) is self-limiting.

Find employers who are advertising. Apply but know that most will want you in Japan for interviews. Let them know when you are coming, so they can fit you into their schedule.

BOTTOM LINE:
Find an employer that suits your needs.
Apply however they require (online, in person, postal mail).
Hope for an interview, usually live. Could be at the few recruiters in your country, or via few enlightened employers who know how to use Skype, or by physically being here.
Know how to do a demo lesson and pass a grammar test.
Wait.
If accepted, you jointly apply for a work visa. That takes 2-8 weeks depending on time of year. "Beginning of the year" is vague. Can you pin it down?
Start work after visa arrives.

2. Say for any firms I haven't contacted, do people just go there with no advance notice and ask to speak to the manager about a job opening or is that frowned upon?
Since this will be most employers, that would be unwieldly at best. Again, you are shotgunning. See above.

(Yes, some people do as you wrote. IMO, it's a waste of time.)

3. If the answer to #2 is yes, what should I be wearing on these job hunts? Should I wear a suit or save that for the actual interview? Upon entering, am I expected to speak in Japanese to the clerk, and are there any formalities I should be aware of?

The answer to #2 is no. If you insist, wear a suit. Expect little English, even at an English school, to be spoken by receptionists or managers. See why it's better to check ads instead?

4. How can I find all the English schools in a specific area?

You can't. See above.

If you want to find eikaiwa, just look at job ads. If you want to look for public schools (for what little that's worth, since their web sites don't usually post job openings), Google "Japan public schools". ALT dispatch agencies and the JET Programme have public schools sewn up anyway.

5. How much does being Asian American hurt my chances of landing a job?
A little, but only for those stupid employers or their students who falsely believe that English can't come out of an Asian face.

Do yourself a favor, too. Don't refer to yourself as anything except AMERICAN. Hyphenated labels only confuse people.

6. Would my chances be greater in a smaller city or large city?
Percentage-wise, bigger is better, but also be prepared for steep competition (20-100 people per application).
In terms of less competition, smaller/rural is better.
zbird

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much Glenski. I really appreciate the responses.

Based on your responses, is there an advantage of going to Japan before securing a job? It seemed like from many discussions here that your options expand vastly if you are there in person.

So your advice is that I apply to only the jobs that have posted ads online? Then isn't that just like securing a job before I leave for Japan?

I'm just a little confused as to what your take is on this, whether there is an advantage or not.

Oh and the reason I mentioned one specific area is that I have a friend I can crash with in a smaller city, or I can go to Osaka which isn't too far away, though I don't have friends there I can crash with.
funkyging

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another important thing is how much money do you have ready to take over?

1-2 months processing visa then quite possibly another 2 months before your first pay check. once you got your visa sorted out then youll have to find an apartment which will involve a hefty amount of money plus if its furnished or not then that will take even more money.

OR you can apply to companies from your home country and stay in a jo until your work visa is ready and then go over
Glenski

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zbird wrote:
Thank you so much Glenski. I really appreciate the responses.

Based on your responses, is there an advantage of going to Japan before securing a job? It seemed like from many discussions here that your options expand vastly if you are there in person.
Coming here has several advantages. It's up to you to decide whether they are more important than the ones which favor staying home.

1. You are here for the employers that absolutely require candidates to be in Japan. It shows initiative and commitment.

2. You are here and can learn a little about getting around in Japan, how to survive in restaurants, subways, etc. Knowing that building addresses are not numbered consecutively as you walk down a street is an eye opener.

3. Being here helps you with networking. Live in a gaijin house with other foreigners, and you might share information about jobs, contracts, neighborhoods, etc.

4. Being here already means you don't have to wait to dump your old apartment and car and belongings. You have a shorter time to get visa processing going.

5. Being immersed in Japan helps your language skills.

NOTE:
There are DISadvantages to coming here and looking around, too! You will need a lot of money to support yourself. You may be committed to being here, but you may be paying rent here and back home. There is no guarantee of landing a job even in 90 days. Time of year may preclude getting work.

Quote:
So your advice is that I apply to only the jobs that have posted ads online? Then isn't that just like securing a job before I leave for Japan?
Online or in the newspapers. The Japan Times ads on line are different than those in the paper edition.

IMO, you waste time, money, and energy by applying shotgun style to places that aren't advertising. Applying to the ads is possible whether you are in Japan or not. Depends on whether the employer wants applicants to be here already, or whether they can do Skype interviews, or if they have people already in your home country who can do them.
benshi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who does hiring for my company, I can tell you emphatically that just showing up at the door without an appointment is EXTREMELY counterproductive. We middle-management types are often very busy trying to keep staff and students happy, troubleshoot problems, do paperwork, etc., etc. We don't often have the luxury of being able to put everything on hold and conduct an impromptu interview with someone who just happens to drop in unannounced. I tell our receptionists to have people like that leave a resume at the desk, which I end up tossing out unread more often than not. It's a waste of my time, your time, transportation money, and paper.

Make an appointment.
marley'sghost

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

funkyging wrote:
Another important thing is how much money do you have ready to take over?

1-2 months processing visa then quite possibly another 2 months before your first pay check. once you got your visa sorted out then youll have to find an apartment which will involve a hefty amount of money plus if its furnished or not then that will take even more money.

OR you can apply to companies from your home country and stay in a jo until your work visa is ready and then go over

Getting into an apartment is pretty steep here. It's not 1st/last month and refundable damage deposit. It's 1st/last month's rent and a "key money" deposit, usually equal to 3 months rent. "Key money" is like a damage deposit....but you don't get it back. Though recently some rental agencies/apartments are lowering/doing away with it I hear. (Leopalace?)
zbird

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing about online ads is that I either see ones that would sponsor a visa (would there be an advantage of being in Japan in this case?) or ones that require a valid visa or for the person to already be living in Japan, and I would be on a tourist visa so I don't believe I qualify for those anyway. As for the Japan Times, I would have to be there to get the paper version right?

Would anybody who's been through this process of finding a job after getting there like to offer an opinion?

Oh and yes, I didn't mean that I would actually request an interview on the spot. More like walk in to inquire about any openings and get contact info or set up an appointment for later.

I have read on here that one should have 5-7 thousand USD saved up for 3 months, so I'm keeping that in mind. Would that be enough to rent an apartment as well towards the end of the period? I would be crashing at a friend's place until I find a job and she has informed me that rent in her city is pretty cheap since it's a small city.
Glenski

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

benshi wrote:
As someone who does hiring for my company, I can tell you emphatically that just showing up at the door without an appointment is EXTREMELY counterproductive. We middle-management types are often very busy trying to keep staff and students happy, troubleshoot problems, do paperwork, etc., etc. We don't often have the luxury of being able to put everything on hold and conduct an impromptu interview with someone who just happens to drop in unannounced.
You won't get past the front door at public or private schools like that, either.
Glenski

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zbird wrote:
The thing about online ads is that I either see ones that would sponsor a visa (would there be an advantage of being in Japan in this case?) or ones that require a valid visa or for the person to already be living in Japan, and I would be on a tourist visa so I don't believe I qualify for those anyway.
What about the process that I wrote earlier was so hard to understand?

Come. Support yourself on a tourist status. Don't apply to jobs that require visas already in hand. Hope for the best.

Or stay home and have a measure of security while you job hunt, yet face far fewer opportunities.

There is no definitive answer.

Quote:
As for the Japan Times, I would have to be there to get the paper version right?
Have you looked into this? I got a subscription to 3-6 months mailed to me only 1-2 days after they hit the Japanese streets. Alternately, see if a local library carries them.

Quote:
Would anybody who's been through this process of finding a job after getting there like to offer an opinion?
Tons of stories ae available on the Internet. Do some basic research on your own!

Quote:
I have read on here that one should have 5-7 thousand USD saved up for 3 months, so I'm keeping that in mind. Would that be enough to rent an apartment as well towards the end of the period?
IMO, no, and most places will require a guarantor, too. Usually that means employer, so you should be thinking of a guesthouse instead. Or LeoPalace21.

Most apartments come with nothing in them, furniture, appliances, curtains, light fixtures, etc., so moving in requires you buy all of that. That is one reason to get a guesthouse, then see employers who provide secondhand housing that is furnished. Not the best quality, but beggars can't be choosers.

When did you say you were coming? Second time I've asked.
zbird

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I said was that for the online ads that I would be eligible for (aka will sponsor visa), is there a benefit to going to Japan before securing the job? Because as far as opportunities, those are available to anyone around the world right?

I have read through some threads as I have mentioned, but none of them addressed the specific details I asked. And the search function on this forum seems to be broken. So this seems to be the best way of doing my research.

It's not finalized that I'll be going, but if I do it'll be no later than beginning of Feb. That's why I wanted to get to know the specifics before making a more informed decision.
Glenski

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zbird wrote:
What I said was that for the online ads that I would be eligible for (aka will sponsor visa), is there a benefit to going to Japan before securing the job?
All 5 of my points apply, even if the ads do not require you to be here.

Quote:
Because as far as opportunities, those are available to anyone around the world right?
Geographically speaking, yes. As far as nationality goes, not necessarily.

Just because the ad doesn't say you have to be physically in Japan to apply or interview, that doesn't mean they have recruiters abroad to meet you or that they will do Skype interviews.

Quote:
I have read through some threads as I have mentioned, but none of them addressed the specific details I asked. And the search function on this forum seems to be broken. So this seems to be the best way of doing my research.
There is a lot more information on other places on the Internet about your questions than what is available on just this forum.

Quote:
It's not finalized that I'll be going, but if I do it'll be no later than beginning of Feb. That's why I wanted to get to know the specifics before making a more informed decision.
Don't come before February unless you have enough money to support yourself. Ads for April don't usually begin surfacing until then.

Last edited by Glenski on Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
kah5217

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zbird wrote:
What I said was that for the online ads that I would be eligible for (aka will sponsor visa), is there a benefit to going to Japan before securing the job? Because as far as opportunities, those are available to anyone around the world right?

I don't know how many places are the same, but Interac has this in red print on their site:

Quote:
"Please note we are unable to consider applications from those who are residing or visiting Japan without a valid visa. This includes, but is not limited to, those who are in Japan as "tourists" under the Visa Exemption Arrangement and those who are in Japan with a Temporary Visitor visa."
flow

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first post in this very informative discussion thread.

I got a question with regards my arrival in Japan. What do you experienced TEFLERS in Japan recommend for someone looking for a job in a government elementary/high school and everything that goes with it (browsing job ads, sending out resumes, interviewing, work permit); do I best get here Feb 1 or March 1 for the new school year starting April 3, 2013? Myself favor March 1 as my arrival date as I'd be saving a month's rent, also I don't enjoy hanging around doing nothing....

Thanks.

flow
Glenski

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flow wrote:
I got a question with regards my arrival in Japan. What do you experienced TEFLERS in Japan recommend for someone looking for a job in a government elementary/high school and everything that goes with it (browsing job ads, sending out resumes, interviewing, work permit);
If you want specific answers to these issues, please ask.

Quote:
do I best get here Feb 1 or March 1 for the new school year starting April 3, 2013? Myself favor March 1 as my arrival date as I'd be saving a month's rent, also I don't enjoy hanging around doing nothing....
Even before you get here, look at the ads and decide which places appeal to you, and apply, or at least notify the employer to say when you'll be in Japan and available for an interview. For ALT positions, you may have to look from October to February to see the most. You are very, very unlikely to get any direct hire into the public schools without having been here and worked first.

As for "hanging around doing nothing", how do you even imagine you'd be doing that in February? That's when a lot of ads crop up, too, even for public schools. Yes, you may be saving a month's rent, but that's the way things are here. Limit yourself to opportunities or be here to maximize your odds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: