Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Music from pre 1975

View previous topic :: View next topic  
expatella_girl

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:44 am    Post subject: Music from pre 1975 Reply with quote

Something about this song is boring a hole in my brain, riveting my thoughts going round and round. What is it?

I don't speak a word of Vietnamese.

Kh�nh Ly & Trịnh C�ng Sơn
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l91q9wEJVV0&feature=relmfu
Newcomber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I've been in Hanoi, Trinh Cong Son has come more than a few times in discussion I've had with folks here. I've recently gotten a bunch of songs written by him with Khanh Ly singing. I understand your sentiment, her voice sure knocks me back a bit at times. It's certainly a powerful sound. I'm not sure what it is that's so engaging, yet in some of the tracks I hear I get the same rise as I do when I hear Quan Ho singing, a traditional music style from the North.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joNq3tp3b1g&feature=fvwrel
TRH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Concert cancelled Reply with quote

I seem to recall that a recently planned or just rumored concert in Vietnam by Khanh Ly never came off. The article could not explain why. I may be wrong, but I think she may be one of the Viet Kieu entertainers who has been vocal in her criticisms of the current government. She does have a great voice and is still performing in the US despite being in her 60's or older.
expatella_girl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here it is July, many months after I put up this post--I gave up on it after about a week with no replies--but much to my amazement here are two responses I never expected! Thank you.

Sadly, my last previous computer died a few months ago taking with it all of my bookmarks. Sad Including a bunch of pre-1975 Khanh Ly/Trinh Cong Son music which I cannot seem to refind.

If anyone can lead me to links of this album, the cover photo is really important:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqQPcaLR-ik

I'd really appreciate it. I think it is the earliest recorded complete collaboration of Khan Ly and Trinh Cong Son. I love this record.

Youtube has become a very fickle friend indeed. Stuff comes and then it's gone.....

I managed to comprehend Russian language after a number of years, but Vietnamese I have never been able to grasp in the least, which makes searching for things in Vietnamese almost impossible.

Language. It's a problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: