Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

pay : cost of living RATIO

View previous topic :: View next topic  
roadrunner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 6:34 pm    Post subject: pay : cost of living RATIO Reply with quote

I'm taking a CELTA course in June with a view to teaching here in the UK over the summer and moving to Italy in September.

I'm having trouble deciding where to move to. I don't want to go to a big city and I understand there are plenty of schools along the Adriatic coast, in Sicily and Sardinia. Is this true?

Also, are the higher wages that I understanmd are paid in the big cities and in the North outweighed by the higher cost of living, or would a teacher based in the North have a higher standard of living than one in the South?

Thanks for your help.
shirley

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roadrunner, You ask a very good question. It really depends on how you define "higher standard of living". In the north and larger cities you will have better access to major airports, better hospitals, DSL, English language films, videos, books, etc. In the south you will have less expensive restaurants, cheaper food, much cheaper housing, etc. Public transportation is better in the north also. When I recently did a comparsion between Turin and a small southern city I found that wages were about 25% higher and housing was about 60% higher in Turin. Since housing is the major expense for me, I decided on living in the south with fewer comforts but more disposable income. I also found that private lessons pay the same in both places. So all in all, I think you could live better in the south if you can live without some of the amenities of the big cities. I lived in Venice for a few years and had the experience of giving my entire university paycheck to my landlord every month and having to work extra jobs to eat and buy clothes. This time I'm moving to the south where the rent will be only 50% of my income, still too high by normal standards, but better than it would be in the north. Plan on bringing plenty of "settling-in" money with you when you arrive in September as most teaching doesn't get started until mid or late October.
roadrunner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, shirley.

I suspected that life would be cheaper in the South and that pay would go further there, even after taking in to consideration that it would be lower than in the North.

Rent is an important factor as you say - and I again suspected it would be comparatively less expensive in the South.

After the inital setting-up costs, do you think it would be viable for a teacher to live on their pay alone, without having to subsidise one's time living in Italy?

Thanks again for your help.
shirley

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you've got plenty of time before September, why not set up a job via the net, check tefl.com, they have a lot of jobs, some offering housing as well. That would be a good start for you since you won't need to worry about paying rent out of a small salary. It's usually shared housing, but you could get started that way for a year. Your best bet is to find an annual contract with guarenteed hours, they're few and far between, but they do exist. Beware of jobs requiring a driving license, they may have you running all over. Otherwise, I think you will need to piecemeal two or three jobs together to get the number of hours you will need. I'm sure what you earn teaching will support you provided you don't have student loans or other obligations at home. Good luck and let us know where you go! Shirley
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: