Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sending scanned passport page to recruiter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkrishnamurtidotorg

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject: Sending scanned passport page to recruiter Reply with quote

Hello everyone

I have tried the search function with little success on this question.

I see that some/most recruiters want the main passport page scanned/photographed and e-mailed along with one's resume and photo. I just want to know how legit it is to be sending something like that to a recruiter before a job offer? Anything to be concerned about?

Easy enough question. Could probably be resolved reasonably quick.

Thanks to all who reply
johntpartee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, nothing to be concerned about. That's a standard request.
go_grrrl

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johntpartee wrote:
No, nothing to be concerned about. That's a standard request.

+1

However, if you are still concerned about this, in Word software:
- insert and paste your scanned passport page;
- draw black rectangles (& fill it in with black) to cover sensitive areas, such as passport number and the bar code;
- save Word doc as .pdf file (so black rectangles cannot be deleted)
- send this .pdf file to recruiters and/or employers; tell them that you'll email your scanned passport image only after you've both agreed to a contract.
johntpartee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but there really is no reason for concern. There are literally hundreds of hotels all over the world that have scans of my passport info page (and any other foreigner who has ever checked in). I'm assuming any reluctance to send a scan would be to avoid the risk of identity theft. Anybody who has the technology to become you with just that info could just as easily create a new person.
kungfuman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with all. Seems to be standard procedure. My landlord asked for a scanned passport copy as did: The bank for an account, the bank again for a Chinese MasterCard, the supermarket when I bought an ebike and need a license plate, the Marriott Hotel when I stayed a weekend, sometimes internet cafes,the police to get the letter of residence - it is a really long list.
Fanyi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: RE Reply with quote

Worked for one of China's better recruiters in the past and asking for the scanned passport was standard procedure for us;it basically lets a recruiter demonstrate to recruiters and schools that you are who you say you are, nationality, etc. The point about hotels was a good one. With all of that said if you really don't want to send your passport scan to a recruiter (you'll pretty much 100% have to eventually send it to schools, whose employees are just as unknown to you as a recruiter), many recruiters will still work with you, but just be aware that you'll be hurting your job application projects as both recruiters and schools can't be sure of your real nationality and age without it, and will likely spend less time on your case than if you provided it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: