Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buxiban teaching in Taiwan killed me - ready for ME, advice?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
writing_me

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the sage words (not intended as sarcasm).

I was told that I am at entry-level stage. I just ask myself what's the point of forfeiting my civil liberties if I can get the same deal in Korea, where the cost of living is probably lower in addition? I honestly thought entry-level teachers would start at around 10 000 Dirham.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't Saudi Arabia, so what "civil liberties" would you be giving up?

I personally never found it difficult to dress modestly and keep my opinions on local politics and religion to myself. Other than that, as a single female, I found it particularly liberating to not have to worry about the things that women have to deal with back in the USA like the crime and violence against women. Western expat women end up oddly liberated in most of the Gulf... in a way that men often don't realize or understand.

That said... if I were a male of your age, I would head to Asia, not the Gulf. Think about the Gulf again when you are middle-aged and married. Cool

VS
writing_me

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm okay with all of the above, too. I'm gay, though.

From what I understand, public school teachers earn between US$3000 - US$5500 per month. That's why I'm baffled at the 'lukewarm' salary starting point. I have the exact same qualifications as these people do who earn in that range, and I'm expected to settle for a lot less.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

writing_me wrote:
From what I understand, public school teachers earn between US$3000 - US$5500 per month. That's why I'm baffled at the 'lukewarm' salary starting point. I have the exact same qualifications as these people do who earn in that range, and I'm expected to settle for a lot less.

You may feel your quals are equal to those earning the better bucks, but if the employer determines otherwise, then...

Anyway, you mentioned Korea. Why not look there for earning potential?
writing_me

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm doing that right now. Looking to Korea. I'll stick it out, hopefully at a hagwon, and see if I can get a learning support position at a decent international school while there, and work my way up from there. Realistic?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably more realistic that getting something decent at entry level in the UAE. Try to get your experience at the level that you want to continue teaching.

Your teaching license plus a few years of experience will make things easier in the Gulf. I'm sure that we have a few Gay teachers on here and you can check out the scene with them in both countries. Cool

VS
justcolleen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

writing_me wrote:
Can't believe the amount of love that language schools bestow upon CELTAs. I'm starting to think I should have done my CELTA instead of getting and actual teaching degree which specializes in teaching languages.

Realistically, those in the know, how much could I expect to earn with my credentials?

1) 4 years teaching ESL to kindy up to about junior high school students

2) 1 year tutoring health psychology students at a well-known and prestigious university

3) A teaching license to arrive in April; good marks

4) An Honours degree in Psychology

I guess 1 and 3 are more important than the rest.

What can I expect to earn? What would my start-up costs be? I'm broke after a full year of studying and not earning anything for 3 months. I don't have much to keep me going until my first paycheck, so I'd need return airfare.

Have you considered Egypt?
123Loto

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

writing_me wrote:
I guess I'm doing that right now. Looking to Korea. I'll stick it out, hopefully at a hagwon, and see if I can get a learning support position at a decent international school while there, and work my way up from there. Realistic?

Good to hear you're considering elsewhere - here are a few more points from someone who moved from Taiwan to UAE:

8000 dirhams is typical starting pay. You'd get housing, flights, and medical insurance with that. You could also supplement your income with tutoring: someone who works hard could easily clock up 20 hours a month, or another 3000 dirhams a month.

But anyway, I don't think you should consider it: if you think Taiwanese are frustrating and unprofessional to work with, you're not going to handle this part of the world - handling the different cultural expectations of professionalism and personal responsibility in this part of the world takes a lot of patience. Taiwanese are much more friendly and straight forward.

There are plenty of up sides to living here and, in fact, I'm happier here than in Taiwan, but if your main reason to leave Taiwan is to get into more professional employment then I wouldn't recommend coming.

Korea is a good option.
Noelle

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP

After browsing through your comments here, I also don't recommend the Middle East. Not for you, not right now.

Korea or Japan may be more suitable for you. You'll find no end of dissatisfied teachers in Korea though and the jobs there are very much hit and miss, even at some of the top paying universities.

All the best and I hope everything works out for you...
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Korea focused posting has been deleted per the following:

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?p=681323#681323
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then there is this found at the top of this forum:

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=77518

Violation of the stated board policy has just resulted in the permanent banning of a now ex-member.

Yes, this thread is being monitored closely by the Mod Team.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: