Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Quiet
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nighthawk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 5:22 pm    Post subject: Quiet Reply with quote

When I come home from a hard day�s work, the last thing I want is to put up with a bunch of noise. Anyway, I like to come home to a quiet place. So, do any of you have any suggestions where that�s possible on an EFL teacher�s salary?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to the library??
I'm not sure if I understood the question. If you teach in a rural area you will probably have a quiet homelife. In Japan my biggest noise pollutants were the frogs in the summer.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 11:26 am    Post subject: ???????????????? Reply with quote

I do not fully understand the question either. What exactly are you asking ?
David Bowles

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earmuffs are good, as well as being fashionable and affordable accessories for modern living.
Shonai Ben

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good set of earplugs always works too.
gerard

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratch Asia off you list. If things are quirt here people will make noise on principle. Perhaps a gig on oil rig in Libya or a cruise ship?
itslatedoors

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 10:48 am    Post subject: relaxing Reply with quote

Crystals,smelly candles,whale mating music...all a load of shite.Walk into the desert,watch the sun go down and skin up.
Sunpower

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I like to come home to a quiet place. So, do any of you have any suggestions where that’s possible on an EFL teacher’s salary?

Ha, aha, ha!! - Definitely not Taipei. This is one of the LOUDEST Asian cities I've lived in. Drives me nuts some nights. I live on a street full of Karaoke bars. All the Japanese business men hang out here with their Chinese business friends and lots of bar girls running around.
elainenatal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 9:51 pm    Post subject: noisy nightlife Reply with quote

A few years ago, some friends of mine went to teach in Kuwait (for an organisation now well known for a high teacher turnover). After teaching during the day, they we driven by bus to their accommodation which was miles out of Kuwait City. All the teachers were living in flats in the one building. On the bottom floor, there was an outdoor restaurant that had a widescreen television that showed either football matches or played loud Arabian music until 4 a.m. Also, on the bottom floor, was a brothel whose clientele arrived in cars at all times during the night, then departed accompanied by loud banging of doors, screeching in Arabic, and car horns beeping.
No-one got any sleep and the teachers had to appear "bright-eyed and bushy-tailed" for work (they were picked up at 6:30 am and bused into Kuwait City). My friends were delegated to speak to management on behalf of all the teachers. They were told "we don't want any shop stewards here" and were sacked on the spot and packed off to the airport that evening.
So don't go there if you're after peace and quiet!
itslatedoors

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 8:40 am    Post subject: Kuwait Reply with quote

That wouldn't have been at that wonderfully reputable company IPETQ, would it?
nighthawk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 12:30 pm    Post subject: The quietest places you have lived Reply with quote

katy and scot47, sorry, my question was a bit vague. I�ll be more specific this time. If you were to live in a densely populated and big city, but wanted peace and quiet when you got home from work, then you would have to put up with a lot of noise unless you had a lot of money and could live in some penthouse with thick walls. But most EFL teachers don�t make a lot of money, so the average EFL teacher has an apartment -- with thick walls only if he/she is lucky but the places certainly aren�t penthouses by any means -- that requires that he/she puts up with a lot of noise from the surrounding environment. (I suppose this could be habituated, that you could get use to the noise so that it wouldn�t really bother you after a while. Maybe I overlooked this.) At any rate, what I was getting at is that I like quiet when I�m trying to sleep or concentrate on reading or on making lesson plans, etc. So what are the quietest places/countries/cities/towns/vessels to live in? For you EFL veterans out there especially, where are the quietest places that you have lived? (And I�m not just asking about densely populated and big cities. Let�s include the towns, small cities, and oil rigs too Smile).
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 2:12 pm    Post subject: peace and quiet Reply with quote

Where I am the first sound in the morning is birdsong. And sometimes feral cats trying to catch the birds. This idyllic, rural scene is in........
the Middle East.
Shonai Ben

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK.If you want quiet you will have to live in the country or rural parts of whatever country you go to.I lived in the country in Japan and enjoyed listening to the crickets every night when I had my window open.Actually it was difficult to sleep without the window open because of the humidity,so I would listen to the sounds of nature,being the crickets,and enjoy the warm but still refreshing breeze that blew into my bedroom.I had no problem falling to sleep.It was bliss!
Now I live in the city and I miss those days.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can relate to Shonai Ben's countryside tale. I did have a very peaceful second apartment in Japan. My first apartment in Japan though was only about a mile away, but in the centre of town so much noisier even though it was still "countryside". I had the world's noisiest motorbikes going past, indecipherable announcements from passing cars that apparently tell you if there's a house on fire or something and the shops belt out Christmas music from November to the end of the year. Summer time is for fireworks. They go on for months and months and as Ben said you will probably want to have your window open.

So then I started thinking about Moscow. This was a few years ago so forgive me if my memory is not spot on. It could be others have had very noisy experiences in Moscow, but as far as I can remember it was pretty quiet at home. My apartment in the north of Moscow was fourteen storeys above street level so relatively little noise from traffic, especially during the winter months when the windows are not just shut they are completely sealed. The snow also helps to absorb the noise outside and carpets on the wall help to sound proof any noise that might come from your neighbour.

So the moral of my story - go somewhere cold, snowy and high up.
richard ame

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 7:47 am    Post subject: Noise,how to kick its arse Reply with quote

Hi quiet lovers
Personally I love a row the LOUDER the better,after being in a classroom with 30 or 40 crazy screaming kids most of the day you need to unwind with some Led Zepplin or Cream played at full blast on the biggest most terriffying stero system you can get your grubby paws on ,if you can't beat em ,join em !!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: