Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UK-TEFL.. know anything about their job placements in Spain?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hasan84

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: UK-TEFL.. know anything about their job placements in Spain? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm currently considering going to Spain to teach. I've been looking at this UK based company called UK-TEFL, who offer job placements in Spain and lots of other countries.
It costs �50 (or something like that) to join their "VIP Job Club" where they seem to have lots of jobs on offer. However, I'm a bit dubious because I have a feeling coming across jobs in Spain will be difficult and UK-TEFL just seems to good to be true. Plus, since I requested an info pack I get at least one automated email off them a day telling me about job placements all over the world and trying to get me to do one of their 2-3 day intensive TEFL courses (which cost from about �200 up to �400 if you do both the beginner and intensive courses). This email bombardment tactic makes me think that UK-TEFL get their money from getting people to join, after which they are left out in the cold, so to speak. I get the strong feeling that once you've paid the money to join jobs are hard to come by.

Has anybody got any experience with UK-TEFL? Anybody recommend them?

Cheers in advance,

H
Grimace420

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's something about you as a worker paying an agency in order to possibly get a job that doesn't sit right with me. The best way to get ESL work in Spain is to come here and hand out your CV. There's plenty available all over the country that doesn't require a third party to find. It is true that if you do some TEFL certificates in-country the company responsible will try to find you a job upon completion, but with the money they charge for those it's the least they could do. Plus, what certificate is the company actually offering? The main one that's pretty universally recognised in job ads is the CELTA and I get the impression that the rest are less highly considered or even not at all in many employers' eyes, so take that into account.
Hasan84

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I agree with what you're saying.
I've actually got a CELTA and a degree so I should really go over to Spain and start searching... it's just that my confidence isn't very high because I haven't taught for years.
The UK-TEFL thing just sounds like an easy way to get a job. If I get feedback saying UK-TEFL are good, �50 to join the "job club" doesn't seem so bad if they can find you a job paying "around 2000 euros a month". It does seem to be a little bit too good to be true though.

So when is the best time to go searching for jobs in Spain? I'd like to go to Barcelona.
Grimace420

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd shell out 50 quid more than happily to find a job in one company/academy paying "around 2,000 euros" if by "around 2,000 euros" they mean 1,900+ net a month. I'm thinking their definition of "around 2,000 euros" is probably either a much lower figure or under working conditions that would destroy most non-workaholics and pretty much defeat the purpose of living in Spain.

The best time to go to Spain looking for work is undoubtedly in mid September with another smaller wave in early January. However, it tends to depend on the region you're looking at moving to. I think that even now you could probably find enough work in Madrid, for example, but I can't speak for Barcelona. Let's see what the people living there have to say about the working situation this year.
MsBlackcurrant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: UK-TEFL.. know anything about their job placements in Sp Reply with quote

Hasan84 wrote:
Hi,

I'm currently considering going to Spain to teach. I've been looking at this UK based company called UK-TEFL, who offer job placements in Spain and lots of other countries.
It costs �50 (or something like that) to join their "VIP Job Club" where they seem to have lots of jobs on offer. However, I'm a bit dubious because I have a feeling coming across jobs in Spain will be difficult and UK-TEFL just seems to good to be true. Plus, since I requested an info pack I get at least one automated email off them a day telling me about job placements all over the world and trying to get me to do one of their 2-3 day intensive TEFL courses (which cost from about �200 up to �400 if you do both the beginner and intensive courses). This email bombardment tactic makes me think that UK-TEFL get their money from getting people to join, after which they are left out in the cold, so to speak. I get the strong feeling that once you've paid the money to join jobs are hard to come by.

Has anybody got any experience with UK-TEFL? Anybody recommend them?

Cheers in advance,

H

I did the Advanced Course with UK-TEFL last year. Very intensive, although I had TEFL experience before. For me it served as a refresher course, and it confirmed that I could still enjoy a TEFL environment. The tutor encouraged us to keep in touch via email, which some new teachers hired in a distant land might find useful.

Although you have to pay to join their VIP club, you do get 3 months' free access after you've done the course. In addition, they have a number of other jobs that are open to everyone who's done their training. (I nearly applied for a few, but my career plans have been a bit jumpy!) If you look at the jobs page on their website, it's usually indicated whether or not you need to be a paid-up member to apply for a particular job.

I think the Spanish jobs they offer are usually with a company called Vaughantown. This company offers 1 week volunteer work (I did this once myself, long before I did the UK-TEFL course) and paid work, for which you're trained in Spain to teach according to a special system. The week of volunteering is fun, and would be good experience if you're new to TEFL. I can't speak for the full-time jobs.

With a CELTA you could do UK-TEFL's Advanced Course, but really, you could just apply directly to Vaughantown, since that's who you'd be working for anyway!
MsBlackcurrant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just to clarify that 'Vaughantown' is the name of the 1 week volunteering programmes, but the company is called 'Vaughan Systems'.

If you've already done a CELTA, you really wouldn't want to be doing UK-TEFL's beginners' course. That would be a waste of money. The Advanced Course would be perfectly adequate as a refresher, and you could truthfully describe it as such on your CV.

Or, you could update your experience by just doing some volunteering. You could sign up indepently for a week in Vaughantown, and make a few contacts while you're there. There are companies that offer volunteering programmes in Eastern Europe, and there are plenty further afield, if you can afford to get there.
Hasan84

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, very interesting...
I've actually accepted a job in Chile but I still want to do a refresher course and as I will probably return to Europe/Spain after a couple of years the information is still useful and appreciated Smile
I checked out Vaughan Systems and found their website: http://www.vaughanenglishteachers.com/the-vaughan-systems-job-center
I wish I'd found this earlier because it looks pretty good, but as I said, I'll be returning.

I agree that doing the beginner course would seem like a waste but do you really think I should do the advanced course because I can't remember anything from the CELTA (well, nearly anyway)?
MsBlackcurrant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hasan84

I presume you're looking for a course you can do before you go to teach in Chile.

If it's the methodology or grammar that you've forgotten, then you could brush up on those by reading a few relevant books. (They're expensive to buy, but still cheaper than a course, and they're a resource you can take around the world with you.) Then do the Advanced UK-TEFL course to get advice and practical confirmation of your skills, if you're still concerned. But that's just my opinion.

(I should state that I don't have a CELTA; I have a PGCE, in-service training and teaching experience, plus a few basic certificates.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: