Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Telephone and Cable Tv

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom567

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Telephone and Cable Tv Reply with quote

I got here about a month ago and am really frustrated with not having a telephone. How do I get a telephone here?

I am even more frustrated with not having cable tv. I live in a Leo Palace Apartment and my e mail to HQ wasn`t helpful. I don`t mind spending a few extra bucks to get CNN, StarSports, and/or other English channels. Is this possible living at LeoPalace?

Please help. Surely somebody was able to at least obtain a phone, somehow, before being in possession of the alien card.

Have you reached ZEN as well?
Mr_Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Softbank will set up a contract with you on the strength of the receipt the city office gives you for the documentation for the ARC. Docomo will not. That will get you a phone.

You should get a free internet connection with Leopalace apartments. Rather than laying down some cash for a Skyperfect dish or whatnot, you could just invest in a VPN service that will allow you to present a US/UK/Canada/etc. IP address to the websites you wish to access, and stream the shows you want to watch.
ssjup81

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm late to this, but didn't see this thread until now. I'm curious how things went for you.

In my situation, it took me a long while before I got internet/phone. When I got my card, I went to the Softbank, but unfortunately, they wouldn't let me sign up for a plan unless I had a Japanese credit card. So I had to use my boss' credit card to get it and that pocket wi-fi thing, which didn't work for me (satellite interference from my upstairs neighbors ><), so I was still without Internet...but I had a phone.

I had to get my internet installed.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
funkyging

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm three months and counting without a phone, but its been my choice for the last month, i want to prepay for the phone so saving up a bit of cash over the month for the next paycheck.

Contract phones will require a residence card(no more alien cards), a bank account, probably a hanko but they sometimes use a fingerprint

leopalace gives the option for pretty cheap internet and im hitting 47Mbps
kah5217

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it really hard to get a phone, even a rinky-dink "dumbphone"? I remember how hard it was to rent one when I was there, but that was because we were on tourist visas.
ssjup81

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

funkyging wrote:
i'm three months and counting without a phone, but its been my choice for the last month, i want to prepay for the phone so saving up a bit of cash over the month for the next paycheck.

Contract phones will require a residence card(no more alien cards), a bank account, probably a hanko but they sometimes use a fingerprint

leopalace gives the option for pretty cheap internet and im hitting 47Mbps
My first time here, I lived in a Leopalace apartment and had internet included. Just plugged it into my laptop, and boom, all set.

As for the phone issue, I used Skype. lol I did, eventually, have to get a phone (required) so another ALT in the area, had a prepay phone, so I just used that, rarely.

Anyway, you should be able to use your passport with your visa info, I would think since you don't (won't) have the alien registration card.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: