Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rampant exorbitance: female fitness centres

 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
wantok



Joined: 05 Jul 2012
Posts: 168

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Rampant exorbitance: female fitness centres Reply with quote

“So you can only imagine our frustration. This is criminal and how do they expect women to be motivated to work out?” http://www.saudigazette.com.sa/index.cfm?method=home.regcon&contentid=20121027140924

BONUS GRAPHIC 1: http://www.alriyadh.com/en/article/721067/rabea

BONUS GRAPHIC 2: http://www.alriyadh.com/en/article/713312/rabea

BONUS GRAPHIC 3: http://riyadhbureau.com/2012/10/art-guardian
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
veiledsentiments



Joined: 20 Feb 2003
Posts: 15857
Location: USA

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't 2000 SR a month over $500? A month??

I pay $34 for Curves in the US.

This is insane... not to mention pure theft...

VS
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wantok



Joined: 05 Jul 2012
Posts: 168

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a country that has such a rich variety and abundance of food, the high rate of calcium deficiency among young women has only one explanation: They are making poor nutritional and lifestyle choices.

Dr. Lulwa Abdul Lateef Babtain, assistant professor in the Nutrition and Food Sciences Department at Princess Noura University, urged women in Saudi Arabia to become more physically active, get regular exposure to sunlight and eat more calcium-rich foods in order to avoid developing osteoporosis. This bone disease which causes the bones to become more porous, weak and easily fractured is widespread among Saudi women.
It turns out that a low level of vitamin D has other negative effects, in addition to reducing the absorption of calcium and contributing to osteoporosis. Dr. Babtain said that vitamin D deficiency is also linked to obesity, high blood pressure, hardening of the arteries, arteriosclerosis and heart disease. Low levels of vitamin D also cause hormonal imbalances that may result in lowered immunity and even diabetes.


http://www.sauress.com/en/saudigazette/121117


Alternatively, watch Jane Fonda: http://www.alriyadh.com/en/article/606585/rabea
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cairanya



Joined: 02 Jun 2012
Posts: 62

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't calcium deficiency have more to do with exercise than what you eat? My sister's a very strict vegan, but her bone density's fine because she's a gymnast.

And isn't Vitamin D deficiency really just about exposure to sunlight and/or lack of supplements food?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mashkif



Joined: 17 Aug 2010
Posts: 129

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wantok wrote:
In a country that has such a rich variety and abundance of food, the high rate of calcium deficiency among young women has only one explanation: They are making poor nutritional and lifestyle choices.


Well, no s!@#. You cover yourself up from head to toe, your life consists of shifting from one chair to the next, and you stuff your face with food drowned in fat and sugar that's been processed beyond recognition of the original ingredients. How could that POSSIBLY end badly!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
trapezius



Joined: 13 Aug 2006
Posts: 1665
Location: Land of Culture of Death & Destruction

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cairanya wrote:
Doesn't calcium deficiency have more to do with exercise than what you eat? My sister's a very strict vegan, but her bone density's fine because she's a gymnast.

And isn't Vitamin D deficiency really just about exposure to sunlight and/or lack of supplements food?


It is both. Some calcium is needed in the diet, and yes bone density depends on a lot of factors, not just calcium. Calcium, Magnesium, Manganese, Boron, and Vit D all play a role in maintaining bone density, not to mention, regular resistance exercise. Chinese and Japanese don't eat much calcium (hardly any dairy), but their bones are fine, as they lead active lives. US guidelines recommend 1,000 mg of calcium daily, but that's if you are sedentary.

And Vitamin D can be had from exposure to sunlight, or from foods high in said vitamin (or from supplements). Vit D is not naturally found in many foods (mostly in certain fish), and if you don't expose yourself to sunlight or eat foods high in Vit D, yes, that will easily lead to Vit D deficiency.

Yes, what Saudi Arabia has done to its women is criminal. They have destroyed them physically, mentally, and emotionally.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
al-Californian



Joined: 27 Jan 2008
Posts: 95

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trapezius wrote:

Yes, what Saudi Arabia has done to its women is criminal. They have destroyed them physically, mentally, and emotionally.


Think about how the women in your native country(before your glorious day of naturalization) are treated before you judge others. Then, you might not be so cliche and stereotypical. yawn
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
johnslat



Joined: 21 Jan 2003
Posts: 12296
Location: Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear al-Californian,

Well, in my native country (the USA,) while women still have some inequality problems, they are, in my opinion, generally treated SO much better than they are in Saudi.
In fact, maybe only women in Afghanistan have it worse, and that's pretty darn close.

Regards,
John
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
veiledsentiments



Joined: 20 Feb 2003
Posts: 15857
Location: USA

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

al-Californian wrote:
trapezius wrote:

Yes, what Saudi Arabia has done to its women is criminal. They have destroyed them physically, mentally, and emotionally.


Think about how the women in your native country(before your glorious day of naturalization) are treated before you judge others. Then, you might not be so cliche and stereotypical. yawn

I find that neither a cliche nor stereotypical. That is the sad truth, but perhaps a male from California doesn't really understand the situation. Perhaps it is a generalization and certainly there are exceptions, but too damn few IMHO.

And I expect that Trap could educate us of the reality of the situation of women in his own "native country" too if he wished, but that isn't relevant here.

VS
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
trapezius



Joined: 13 Aug 2006
Posts: 1665
Location: Land of Culture of Death & Destruction

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

al-Californian wrote:
trapezius wrote:

Yes, what Saudi Arabia has done to its women is criminal. They have destroyed them physically, mentally, and emotionally.


Think about how the women in your native country(before your glorious day of naturalization) are treated before you judge others. Then, you might not be so cliche and stereotypical. yawn


My native country? My naturalization? Where do you think I am from? Stop assuming things you know nothing of.

As for my statement, it is FACT. I don't care whether what I said is fashionable or not, stereotypical or not, and cliched or not. I only speak the truth, and what I said is most definitely true.

I have lived in this country for 28 years and some months, and I have seen first hand what the policies and culture of the country have done to my female relatives and their friends.

The vast majority of the females in the country either do not have access to exercise facilities or can't afford such facilities. How is that cliche? How is that stereotypical? That's just fact. And unfortunately, due to a toxic mix of weather and culture, they are also unable to exercise outdoors, and as we all know by now, PE is not a part of girls' schools, as apparently pious women do/should not exert themselves in manly ways.

As for my native country (of which I am still a citizen), I too, come from a country where women are oppressed, as they are in the vast majority of Muslim countries. Just very recently, in my country, a young girl was dishonorably murdered ("honor killing") by her own parents for simply looking at a boy. What more do you want to know? Most women are, however, able to freely move around, work, study, etc, and are not forced to wear a black overall. And because the vast majority don't/can't keep maids, and many work the fields and do other menial jobs, they get their exercise and sun to some extent. Anyway, this thread is about women in Saudi Arabia, not my native country.

I must add here, you said I should look at my own country (which you don't even know) before judging other countries. Is it my fault that women are oppressed in my country? Is it my doing? Is it in my hands to change it? Why can't I judge both SA and my country for oppressing women? Indeed, why can't I judge all countries where women are oppressed to a great extent? I don't care what country I am from, and women being oppressed in my country is not my doing, and neither do I personally oppress women. So, I find your statement to be highly illogical and comical.

We are all humans. I don't give a damn about borders and nationalities. I will condemn and judge all people, races, and countries that engage in oppression.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ellethom



Joined: 29 Sep 2011
Posts: 39
Location: Wherever I May Roam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

al-Californian wrote:
trapezius wrote:

Yes, what Saudi Arabia has done to its women is criminal. They have destroyed them physically, mentally, and emotionally.


Think about how the women in your native country(before your glorious day of naturalization) are treated before you judge others. Then, you might not be so cliche and stereotypical. yawn


There were never any honor killings in America, if you have such a problem with free speech, then i must assume you are Saudi. If not, perhaps you should let your wife out of the shackles every once in a while.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
al-Californian



Joined: 27 Jan 2008
Posts: 95

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ellethom wrote:

There were never any honor killings in America, if you have such a problem with free speech, then i must assume you are Saudi. If not, perhaps you should let your wife out of the shackles every once in a while.


No honor killings you say? How about scalpings? Rapes? Massacres? Lynchings? I must assume you and your boyfriend Trap are neoimperialists that bash religions out of fear and hate. Why don't you free yourselves from your own ignorance and bigotry. America has ideals and you sure do not represent them. I'm from the Oakland/Berkeley area, so check the record before you teach me about free speech. Jerk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
trapezius



Joined: 13 Aug 2006
Posts: 1665
Location: Land of Culture of Death & Destruction

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you even read my post? Rolling Eyes

Why do you keep assuming I am an American? I already gave you an example of an honor killing that just recently took place in my country (i.e., I criticized my own country/culture), which I have not named. But obviously, it is not America. So, who is the ignorant and bigoted one now?

Bashing religions? Where did I bash any religion? Can you even read? I even alluded to the fact that I have the same religion as Saudis, but you obviously didn't see that, along with the rest of my post. Don't accuse me of something I didn't do (bashing religion).

It is impossible for me to be an imperialist owing to where I am from. You are becoming beyond ludicrous at this point. Take off your blindfold and actually read my previous post.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
johnslat



Joined: 21 Jan 2003
Posts: 12296
Location: Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear ellethom,

Never say never:

"Several claims of honor killing in the United States have been documented."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honor_killing_in_the_United_States

"An American Honor Killing: One Victim's Story"

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2055445,00.html

"While statistics are notoriously hard to come by due to the private nature of such crimes and the fact that very few are reported, the United Nations Population Fund approximates that as many as 5,000 women are murdered in this manner each year worldwide. Undoubtedly that's a low estimate, as reports from Turkey, Jordan, Pakistan and the Palestinian territories, among other locales, are filtering in at an alarming rate. Add to the list Germany, Sweden, other parts of Europe, the United Kingdom, Canada, and the United States, and it's clear that young Muslim women in the West are becoming increasingly vulnerable."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/politics/article/Honor-killings-When-the-ancient-and-the-modern-2548311.php#ixzz2C1ANZpPy


Canada, too

"Afghan Family, Led by Father Who Called Girls a Disgrace, Is Guilty of Murder"

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/30/world/americas/afghan-family-members-convicted-in-honor-killings.html

However, I'm confused as to why there seems to be any argument here. I think we're all agreed that violence against women is horrendous (as is violence against anyone.) I think we're all agreed that such violence is more likely to happen in a society where women don't have the same rights as men.

So, what the heck are you guys all arguing about, anyway?

Regards,
John
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2011 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Road2Spain - TEFL and Spanish with one year student visa
EBC