Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to get criminal record check while outside home country?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
basbas

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:35 am    Post subject: How to get criminal record check while outside home country? Reply with quote

I'm from canada

I live in Shanghai

I need a criminal background check for the 'Nam

I have no criminal record

can this be done without going home???

much appreciated?

bas
s10czar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have exactly the same question except that I'm from the USA and reside in Korea.
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An inappropriate posting has just been deleted and a member is now an ex-member for posting it.

This is not the board on which to insult other members. Some boards permit such behavior. This one doesn't.

There are consequences when one chooses not to believe this.
mark_in_saigon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: for others Reply with quote

This will not be much help to the OP, but I would suggest to everyone planning to come over, have someone designated with power of attorney in your home country before you come over. You never know what crazy thing you are going to need, or need to get done over there once you are here. It is a rather simple and inexpensive process and can really save you. Not sure if the criminal check could get done remotely though, as they need your fingerprints, but other than that, I have used my POA designee many times for financial issues.

Also a great idea to have a computer set up in the west with your most important documents on it that you can access thru PC Anywhere or whatever you like to use. Not only is it nice to have your data available in case you lose it here, it offers another backup for you for the files you create here. Additionally, you may want to be able to browse the web from the west occasionally, as some sites are blocked here that you cannot get without a workaround, notably the BBC.
Oh My God

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to get such work done through your respective Embassies/ Consulates in whatever country you're in now.
toiyeuthitmeo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

It can't hurt to contact the police department of the last city in which you lived. I was able to get my police record check via an email request, simply providing my full name, DOB, and address in that city, and they furnished a document (Fed Ex express, at my cost) that said there was no record of arrest from date a to date b. I was lucky to work for a school that authenticated the document for me. Authenticating from abroad can be done with companies, but it's really quite pricey. Run a google search for "document apostille Canada" or some similar terms. I've recently had a POA do some document authenticating on my behalf, and that worked a treat and was cheaper than using a service.
VietCanada

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm from Canada. I got mine with help from the Canadian embassy.

$50 USD they fingerprint you on the appropriate form that you mail to the RCMP. You do not need the vulnerable sector check, it adds time.

For another $50 USD I would strongly recommend that you arrange with the embassy to accept your mail. They'll call you to pick it up. I didn't do this and found that the RCMP mailed my CRC to the wrong address completely. I have to spend another $50 USD, I mean $100 USD.

The process is quite quick if your name or birth date don't show up in the data base. If one (or both?) do then they have to check in more detail. Mine was less than 60 days. It can 4 to 6 months. Possibly much more with interesting complications I'd expect if you have a doppleganger. Hope for the best.

The RCMP and Canadian embassy websites have specific information for all of this. Bookmark their sites and save the receipt page from the e-mail notifying you of their receipt of your request. E-mail it to yourself if necessary. This info is used to track your request or request info. The only info you can get is that it was completed and mailed out to you on whatever date this was done. No other info is available. They do not e-mail this info to you unless you request it.

You now have all the info you need to know to get your CRC from Canada.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: