Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mail from Mexico to the US

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tideout

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:51 am    Post subject: Mail from Mexico to the US Reply with quote

I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck mailing things to the US from here and could recommend a service?

I guess it would be a 5-10 lb box (not 100% sure) and I don't care if it takes even 2-3 weeks to get there (east coast of the US). In southern Mexico there a lot of problems getting mail as people would "check it" and sometimes things would go missing. In another case a friend had to pay off a postal boss to get the package from the back of the building to the counter....I'm not mailing super expensive stuff back but would rather not waste money on something that's not going to make it anyway.

A clerk here in a FedEx office said "Mexport" was good and cheaper....I know FedEx and DHL are possible but fairly expensive given I'm not in a hurry for the stuff to get there.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

tideout
notamiss

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I�ve had better results with the postal service (was �Mexport� meant to be �Mexpost�?) than the big-name courier companies, but it also depends where you�re mailing from: here in Mexico City the postal service is quite good and reliable, but the farther out in the provincia you are, the worse and the less reliable and honest it is.

If you knew someone trustworthy that was going to Mexico City, you could send it with them and have them mail it�
tideout

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notamiss wrote:
I�ve had better results with the postal service (was �Mexport� meant to be �Mexpost�?) than the big-name courier companies, but it also depends where you�re mailing from: here in Mexico City the postal service is quite good and reliable, but the farther out in the provincia you are, the worse and the less reliable and honest it is.

If you knew someone trustworthy that was going to Mexico City, you could send it with them and have them mail it�

Thanks. I'll double check on the name I was given. I'm here in Leon which is a seemingly pretty functional place. Probably worth a shot if the price isn't too bad.

Actually now that I'm thinking of it a bit, the clerk in the post office did say "enfrente de" the post office so it must be a different service....if it works, I'll post on it!
MotherF

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 15 years I've never had any problems mailing things north (only south). If cheap is what you are looking for there is an organization called Paisapak which uses legal immigrants to transport things back and forth across the boarder. But that might just be a Oaxaca thing.
tideout

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
In 15 years I've never had any problems mailing things north (only south). If cheap is what you are looking for there is an organization called Paisapak which uses legal immigrants to transport things back and forth across the boarder. But that might just be a Oaxaca thing.

Interesting. I've never heard of Paisapak. I'm up north now so will go with a more conventional route.

MotherF, did you just use regular Mexican postal service then in many cases?
MotherF

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've sent many gifts, trinkets, coffee, photos, postcards, etc. north via regular mail. They have always gotten there. I've only used currier when it was a document that had to arrive in a timely (2 day) fashion.
tideout

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

MotherF - Thanks, good info.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: