Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Employer teaching requirment(s)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Englishpal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:52 am    Post subject: Employer teaching requirment(s) Reply with quote

So I recently finished the CELTA, and have started sending my resume to schools. I am noticing that several have mentioned they want potential applicants to have 2 years teaching experience. I do not have this experience. Will it be difficult to get a legal job, and the correct z visa? Also, I have been self employed for some 15 years so would not be able to provide a document from some employer verifying 'work experience'. Is this a problem? Thanks for the thoughts. I am kind of lost as to how to go about this, and do not want to end up in a nasty scenario.
Babala

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll want to apply to areas that are less popular. Try provinces in middle or northern China.
Englishpal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion. Is the 2 years teaching experience some government mandatory thing, or just a common preference?
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever helped a refugee with English or similar? Can you sign up on a roster at a local migrant help centre?
Take a broad view of teaching exp, rather than thinking of it solely as paid employment.
You will likely be of interest to schools that are in hard to staff areas, but once you've done a year, you can look for something more salubrious.
Englishpal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I have never done some work like that. I suppose that might help me out if I am unable to get a job. There have been some offers suggested through recruiters, but they have seemed less than desirable. I am trying to hold out for something in the South which will not require weekend work. Thanks for the suggestions.
johntpartee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever helped anyone with anything academically? I'm not suggesting that you should lie about experience, but.......spin, man, spin!
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to staff is unlikely to be in south.
Johntpartee is right about spin.
If you have a US or better a neutral accent try for telephone I/V at earliest.
This will add a level of confidence that replaces part of the 'no experience' problem.
If the school is keen especially if they have been a teacher short for semester 1 they will do what is necessary.
Don't be tempted to come on a tourist visa - my encouragement doesn't stretch to that. You can take risks later, but if you're burned in your first gig it will take you a long time to recover - and you may not - ever.
choudoufu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

self-employed for 15 years?
ever hire any employees?
ever have to train your employees?
that's considered teachin'.
just spin it into 'vocational training.'

documents to verify employment?
rarely asked for.
but surely the self-employed head of the company
should be willing to write a reference letter.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

choudoufu wrote:
self-employed for 15 years?
ever hire any employees?
ever have to train your employees?
that's considered teachin'.
just spin it into 'vocational training.'

documents to verify employment?
rarely asked for.
but surely the self-employed head of the company
should be willing to write a reference letter.

Bit off topic but possibly of interest:
I helped a guy with his immigration application for Canada. He had his own company and proudly showed me several letters of recommendation he had written on his company letterhead lauding his skills but signed by non existent employees.
When I last heard he was accepted. His wife and son are in Vancouver and he spends most of his time back in Dalian.
zacharybilton

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Employer teaching requirment(s) Reply with quote

Englishpal wrote:
So I recently finished the CELTA, and have started sending my resume to schools. I am noticing that several have mentioned they want potential applicants to have 2 years teaching experience. I do not have this experience. Will it be difficult to get a legal job, and the correct z visa? Also, I have been self employed for some 15 years so would not be able to provide a document from some employer verifying 'work experience'. Is this a problem? Thanks for the thoughts. I am kind of lost as to how to go about this, and do not want to end up in a nasty scenario.

Yes, about 3 years ago this became a requirement, just as it remains today.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: