Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Authorities to whom you can report bad employers?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jim_brava

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Authorities to whom you can report bad employers? Reply with quote

Is there some kind of authority body that investigates bogus employers; especially in cases involving immigration/visa missendeavors?

As some might recall, I had big problems with an employer in late-2011 and early-2012. In the end, after 8 months of visa troubles, I finally managed to stabilise and save back a bit of money (etc.).

I left Japan two months ago, but still feel a bit sore about what happened. Especially, as it turned out (as was suggested by people here at the time), I was being lied to by this employer regarding my 'phantom' visa application.

While my total financial losses during the 8-month visa process (5 months of which were spent waiting on a visa application that didn't exist, with no income) are obviously pretty sizable, I don't really have it in mind to try and get any money back. However, I do still feel very strongly that this man needs to become known to the authorities. It's then up to them if they decide to investigate further.

I decided not to do anything while still in Japan. While it's obviously easier to carry out this kind of thing from within Japan, I was worried that the boss in question might have tried a "defence through attack" approach, and I might have been vunerable to whatever story he decided to make up about me (not to say he definitely would have done this, but his previous actions had been hardly encouraging).

Since leaving Japan, I have spent the last few months trying various bodies provided to me by various friends/employers, but these departments tend just to re-direct me elsewhere, if they reply at all - JLSC, Immigration Bureau, Ministry of Health Labour and Welfare etc.

Cheers, Si
Pitarou

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What outcome are you looking for?

If you're hoping to have this guy publicly burnt at the stake, you're out of luck. If you just want to make sure the authorities know about this guy ... well ... maybe.

MOD EDIT
Glenski

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pitarou wrote:
If you just want to make sure the authorities know about this guy ... well ... maybe.
Contact the Labor Standards Office nearest to him. Pretty much all you can do unless you want to draft a formal letter of belated protest to immigration.

MOD EDIT
Haruka

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so the rest of us can avoid this employer, who was it?
ssjup81

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haruka wrote:
Yeah, I second this. I'm looking for work again and would hate to end up coming across that particular employer. Is it even allowed to mention the name of the employer?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
funkyging

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put a post up on some of the major ALT job websites about this guy, if you cant get him reported then you can at least warn others and potentially make him suffer losses from your mistreatment
Pitarou

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssjup81 wrote:
Haruka wrote:
Yeah, I second this. I'm looking for work again and would hate to end up coming across that particular employer. Is it even allowed to mention the name of the employer?
Do you see that "MOD EDIT" in my post above? That's where the moderator deleted my request for the same information.

I don't know the name of the school, but it is a matter of public record that the owner of the business once received a warning letter from the US Food and Drug Administration. Here it is:

http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/EnforcementActions/WarningLetters/ucm166547.htm
ssjup81

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I saw the "MOD EDIT", but I didn't know what was edited out. I didn't see the post before it was edited.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Haruka

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the letter. Will avoid them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: