Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Learn a language in just 22 hours (spread over 10 weeks)!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:27 am    Post subject: Learn a language in just 22 hours (spread over 10 weeks)! Reply with quote

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2012/nov/09/learn-language-in-three-months
Glenski

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Key points:

10 weeks
constant studying
immersion
only 1000 most common words, NOT learning the whole language
it'snotmyfault

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The title's definitely misleading, and I'm sure the idea of associating words with images as a mnemonic isn't new. I read about it twenty years ago in a book (I've forgotten the name of the book) by this guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Buzan

Somebody's just brought it into the twenty first century, with an app!

Last edited by it'snotmyfault on Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:28 am; edited 1 time in total
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with the weight loss industry, the growing number of 'Learn a Language in Just X Days' schemes attests not to their success but to the growth in demand. According to one such ad, we're all supposed to 'hate' Paul Pimmsleur for putting us out of work. Rolling Eyes
coledavis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am fed up to the back teeth with beginners coming in and telling me that they want to be fluent in 7 weeks or their money back. I just won't take their money in the first place.
sparks

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
According to one such ad, we're all supposed to 'hate' Paul Pimmsleur for putting us out of work.

Do you mean this guy: http://www.last.fm/music/Pimsleur/+images/21898585

I hate him for his old-timey good looks and thick brow. Not for his work in applied linguistics.
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coledavis wrote:
I am fed up to the back teeth with beginners coming in and telling me that they want to be fluent in 7 weeks or their money back. I just won't take their money in the first place.

coledavis: You may be turning down easy money!!! One thing I've learned is that students may have entirely different ideas of what fluency means. Of the two adults I started with a year ago who both claimed they wanted to be able to converse in English, one wanted to actually learn the language, the other just wanted phrasebook expressions--nothing more.

If that's not the case, you may still be turning down easy money--even if they never study with you!!! Once the two of you know what level they're at and where they want to be**, just map out their part and your part of the workload. How much more work they'll be doing on their own will depend on what level they start at and how much of your time they're willing to pay for. The important thing is to make sure at this point you sketch out for them a comprehensive self-study program, that in your sessions together, you'll be providing vital practice with, and feedback on. If they balk at this, don't turn them away just yet! Politely give them a choice. Tell them you can get them a discount for a 'Learn English in Just XX Days!' self-study course -OR- recommend they personally visit all the best private language schools in the area (you arrange for yourself a kickback in both cases), tuition fees, and guarantees. They'll come back to you, guaranteed! Wink

If not, they weren't serious about English in the first place and if that's the case, they won't even waste your time sitting the level check once you tell them how long it'll take. But still tell them anyway that the more precise data you have on where they're at in their English, the better position you'll be to ensure they don't waste their limited time. Who knows, they may eventually send you someone who really is as serious as you'll appear to them to be.

** Very important---be prepared to test them thoroughly and also provide stats as to the average time it takes learners at their level to achieve their targeted level. (ANYONE HAVE A SOURCE FOR SUCH STATS?) Never, never ridicule them on their unrealistic goal!! Treat them instead as if they're extremely attentive and motivated learners willing to study 24/7 if need be or idiot savants.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"learning the whole language"

I question whether anyone ever "learns the whole language"
it'snotmyfault

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I hate him for his old-timey good looks .

He looks like the love child of Spock and Mr Bean
choudoufu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparks wrote:
Quote:
According to one such ad, we're all supposed to 'hate' Paul Pimmsleur for putting us out of work.

Do you mean this guy: http://www.last.fm/music/Pimsleur/+images/21898585

I hate him for his old-timey good looks and thick brow. Not for his work in applied linguistics.

good looks? you gotta be kidding! remind me of this handsome devil.

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc6/261134_17774451468_415899882_n.jpg
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Benny the Irish Polyglot.
sparks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
good looks? you gotta be kidding! remind me of this handsome devil.

OK, don't think Primsleur and Atkinson have old-timey good looks hmmm...?

How about a unique, thought-provoking visage? I'd rather look like Mr. Bean than, umm..., say... Brad Pitt, I guess. Much more interesting and expressive face.
Ariadne

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may prefer to look like Mr Bean, but I'm quite sure that if given a choice, most women and quite a few men would prefer that you look like Brad Pitt. Could be wrong. Mr Bean is sorta like the Three Stooges. Never liked looking at them either.

LongShiKong

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Pimsleur is indeed 'old-timey'--that photo everyone's referring to is from the '60s when he developed his 'approach'.

Since we're on the topic of looks, anyone seen the Pimsleur anim-ad?
https://www.pimsleurapproach.com/opttopop_v9.asp?sid=47000bnr&uid=TAS I wish I could draw like that!!!

Ironically, it reminded me of the animated TED Talks lecture by Sir Ken Robinson about the failings of the education establishment. I think it was the one called "How schools kill creativity?"

Perhaps Pimsleur should take precautions lest some hate-filled, ex-TEFLer locate his nursing home. Laughing
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benny the Irish Polyglot? The guy who got a bit of a savaging over on Chinese-forums.com for his audacious plans (especially when he then started making excuses, IIRC to do with "cultural" rather than the linguistic factors, for failing to reach a level similar to those he'd achieved for "easier", more linguistically-related languages)? The videos he posted of him finally "conversing" with native or more fluent speakers were a bit embarrassing and not that inspiring (IMHO).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: