Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Training somebody in new methods

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coledavis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject: Training somebody in new methods Reply with quote

We have a new teacher who has good language skills but who has been trained to use grammar translation and the learning by heart of whole texts. She says she's willing to learn new methods to fit in with what we do.

Can somebody recommend either a book or an online training course (not for qualifying, people!) which will give her a clue about communicative work? What I want to avoid is one of these books which provides uncritical descriptions of a whole lot of woo-woo; I do not want her gaining an enthusiasm for suggestopedia, weird rods and multiple brains. What I want her to acquire is a basic idea of what communicative teaching aims to do and some coverage of how to do it.
Shroob

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Training somebody in new methods Reply with quote

coledavis wrote:
We have a new teacher who has good language skills but who has been trained to use grammar translation and the learning by heart of whole texts. She says she's willing to learn new methods to fit in with what we do.

Can somebody recommend either a book or an online training course (not for qualifying, people!) which will give her a clue about communicative work? What I want to avoid is one of these books which provides uncritical descriptions of a whole lot of woo-woo; I do not want her gaining an enthusiasm for suggestopedia, weird rods and multiple brains. What I want her to acquire is a basic idea of what communicative teaching aims to do and some coverage of how to do it.

How about 'Learning Teaching' by Jim Scrivener? That seemed to be the basis of the CELTA course that was based on communicative learning (though other methods were discussed).
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've worked with teachers such as this, and to be honest, their monitoring other teachers with a debrief at the end to discuss what was done and how he/she could apply some of it in a classroom, followed by observation and genuine discussion seems to work best.
In the end, most teachers tend to revert to default mode at every opportunity; said default mode tends to be whatever teaching/learning system we ourselves experienced in our early years of education. It's difficult to make real change.
Likely best to start with Shroob's book suggestion (I agree it's a fairly useful book) followed by a monitoring-and-observing plan over a longer period of time.
Glenski

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Training somebody in new methods Reply with quote

coledavis wrote:
What I want to avoid is one of these books which provides uncritical descriptions of a whole lot of woo-woo
So, nothing on model trains, then...? Wink
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CELTA-Course-Trainee-Book/dp/0521692067

No choo choos, though. Sadly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: