Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

iPad in the Classroom?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ncaraway

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: iPad in the Classroom? Reply with quote

Deleted by author

Last edited by ncaraway on Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:03 am; edited 1 time in total
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked on a project at one school where ipads were issued to the students on a regular basis (just for in-class use). The regular teachers agreed that it was more of a distraction and time-waster than a real aid, but I suspect that this was mostly related to poor applications than to the notion that the device hasn't got any classroom potential.

It would be interesting to hear if there are more effective apps out there; I guess that in our field there is probably a huge untapped market for someone clever enough to come up with some actually useful EFL apps.
ncaraway

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted by author

Last edited by ncaraway on Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Teacher Jack

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get an Android tablet with HDMI out and you can probably find a good use for it in a classroom in place of a laptop.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted a question some time ago along this topic (not many answers unfortunately)...I've been using an ipad with my 3 year old daughter for some time now. I'm impressed with how easily she picked it up. Great apps out there for ABCs and 123s.

I'd love to hear if anyone is using ipads in groups with young learners.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
tttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had moderate success using them in a mainstream, primary levels environment but I am not sure about apps (beyond the electronic dictionary) for use in an EFL/ESL environment.

There is some useful stuff for use at the low end (basics like ABC, nursery rhymes, voice recorder/mirror, little kids and at the high end IELTS / TOEIC test prep, dictionary, etc., but not much in between.

That said, for those who are teaching or assisting in business related EFL, all of the business related apps CAN be used in practice for what they are to build on a learners skills that exist and need improvement.

greenpeace

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:08 am    Post subject: A Great Podcast for ipads in the clasroom Reply with quote

This podcast is highly relevant to this ipad in the classroom conversation.

www.readandrendered.libsyn.com
ncaraway

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted by author

Last edited by ncaraway on Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in Korea teaching kids I constantly thought "You know, I could really use a tablet," mostly to show pictures and occasional videos around the class much more easily than with my laptop. This is because I was teaching Korean kids, and had to have a lot of entertaining pictures and videos to back up my points.

Now though I'm in Turkey teaching adults, and I use my Android tablet mostly to check the time, and occasionally to show a pictures of a word I'm trying to define or a person. I've also used Google Maps once or twice to talk about travel or directions, but this is helped by relatively small class sizes (like usually 2-6 students). I don't think it would work for travel and directions if you have more than one table full of people, unless you have more than one tablet.

That said, I think you're thinking about it the wrong way. As someone who grew up with computers, it was second-nature to use my laptop in the classroom, even though I could probably do most of the things I used it for without a laptop, while those that I couldn't (like lessons on how a substantial portion of the internet not found at Naver.com can be a useful tool for research) are things that wouldn't have been necessary before the invention of laptops. If you get a tablet and use it yourself, you won't be asking "how can I work this into my class?" you'll be bringing it along to all your classes, and using it if and when you need it.

Regards,
~Q
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: