Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Declined for a visa

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Englishpal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:41 am    Post subject: Declined for a visa Reply with quote

I have recently begun to apply for spots and received a strange email from a school. The representative said that a government officer declined my information because I do not have 2 years experience following graduation. I finally got my Bachelors in August, but have almost 20 years of work experience prior to this. Is this going to keep happening or is this z visa requirement open to interpretation?
rogerwilco

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: Declined for a visa Reply with quote

Englishpal wrote:
or is this z visa requirement open to interpretation?

Yes, try a different school.
Javelin of Radiance

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regulations here are like anywhere else, open to interpretation depending on who's in charge. You just happened to run into someone who's following the rules to the letter, which isn't all bad, if more bureaucrats followed the rules with consistency applying for jobs here would be an easier affair. Keep applying and you'll get a job somewhere.
Englishpal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it was a pretty shocking and disappointing experience. Will this happen more often than not? I am wondering if this is a reflection of the school or if it really was a government officer. Perhaps I need to go to South Korea or Vietnam instead. Thanks for the thoughts.
Javelin of Radiance

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No-one here can tell you how often it might happen because none of us are Chinese officials working in the local security bureau. It's even possible the school for some reason just decided they don't want you but told you the visa denial story to absolve themselves of any ill will. But if this minor setback has put you off China already then it's probably a good thing you look elsewhere because there are many things that can go wrong here and one needs a lot of patience and a thick skin to get by sometimes. BTW, if I recall correctly one (both?) of the other countries you mentioned requires the additional hassle of an apostilled copy of your degree, and I think a criminal background check before you can be hired on. No thanks.
doogsville

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Javelin of Radiance says, this is unlikely to be the last such experience you have here in China, so maybe it's a litmus test for whether you will thrive here or not. China takes a bit, or a lot, of adapting to if you plan to live and work here.

It's also a good introduction to the Chinese habit of lying, or bending the truth, to avoid uncomfortable situations. It may be that the school simply hired someone else already in China to save money, but are putting the blame on 'a government officer' in order to avoid taking responsibility for letting you down. You mention you applied for 'spots' which sounds like you have other irons in the fire though, so maybe one of those will pan out. You might just end up with a better situation.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Chinese probably cannot conceive of a situation where someone completes and often starts a degree course after a period in the work place.
Accordingly 2 years experience after graduating will be a person of 25 - 28 years of age.
Life experience and motivation to teach don't matter.
But if there's one thing you will have picked up on Dave's. it is how variable interpretation of 'rules' can be.
Keep trying. Look at hard to staff areas say in the West and Shenyang north.
Best
Babala

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What city was it where you were declined?
tommysand

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second that this will be the first of many such experiences in China. I am thinking of setting up a support group, "Survivors of Chinese Work Place Culture" Wink

Non Sequitur wrote:
The Chinese probably cannot conceive of a situation where someone completes and often starts a degree course after a period in the work place.

Its funny, I tell my students that I am thinking of going back to college next year and they just can't get their heads round it.
Englishpal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was declined by a school in Chengdu. If the school was telling the truth, was
I turned down by an official of that city or the province in which it is located? I am wondering if maybe this was a particular office policy at some location or if the decision reflects on a province.
zactherat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for telling us where it happened - Sichuan (the province in which Chengdu is located) also sticks to the "5 year rule" more consistently than other places.
GeminiTiger

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was also denied a visa in Sichuan once because of the five year rule. This is really sad situation for me as I would live to work in Sichuan province but in order to do that I would have to leave the country for a year and start over with a new invitation letter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
choudoufu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeminiTiger wrote:
I was also denied a visa in Sichuan once because of the five year rule.

would you mind providing some details on how that transpired?

did the school apply to extend your FEC, but was denied?
did your FAO tell you it couldn't be done (without attempting)?
where in the process did it occur.....renewing the contract?.....
replacing the RP?......renewing the FEC?

if denied officially, what was the red flag?
=date of z-visa?
=FEC booklet with 4 extensions?
=latest entry stamp into china?
=5 years of consective RP's in your passport?
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tommysand wrote:
Second that this will be the first of many such experiences in China. I am thinking of setting up a support group, "Survivors of Chinese Work Place Culture" Wink

Non Sequitur wrote:

Its funny, I tell my students that I am thinking of going back to college next year and they just can't get their heads round it.

In fairness, they do understand a mid career MBA.
In Dalian I would see middle aged businessmen arriving at Dongbei U of Finance and Economics (DUFE) in their Beemers, when I walked through the campus.
I was told they attended lectures for their MBAs.
Interestingly they were known to hit on the DUFE female students. One of my friends who was a senior at DUFE told me a businessman MBA student offered her a weekend at an hotel out of town. 'No strings'.
GeminiTiger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

choudoufu wrote:
GeminiTiger wrote:
I was also denied a visa in Sichuan once because of the five year rule.

would you mind providing some details on how that transpired?
did the school apply to extend your FEC, but was denied?
if denied officially, what was the red flag?

I once moved all of my things to Sichuan out in the hills and stayed there for a month before the school got denied my visa because of the 5 year rule. They paid me all of my travel costs both ways and I just took another job in another province. I do not know exactly what was the red-flag. It could have been the computer knew exactly, because my passport only had 3 years of visas.

The year after that I applied and was accepted for another job in Chengdu exactly and asked them the simple question. "I've been here for 5 years can you get me a visa?", and after a discussion with the government they said they could not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: