Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Relocating to UAE from Turkey

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chaplin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Relocating to UAE from Turkey Reply with quote

Hello everyone.
I'm looking for advice on moving to the UAE. I've been living and working as D.o.S. at a good private language school in Turkey for the last eleven years and would like a change. I'm a British citizen and have a university degree and Trinity TESOL cert. However, I don't have a Master's so do you think I would have a realistic chance of finding employment as I understand the requirements are high. I'd appreciate any thoughts on this, positive or otherwise. Thank you in advance.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you be more specific about your education and TEFL experience? Also, what type of teaching situation are you looking for?
Chaplin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bachelor's degree from a university in London - the subject had nothing to do with languages. I took my TESOL in the UK about 14 years ago and have been working in esl ever since. 80% of my experience has been based in private language schools, in Turkey mainly but also in the UK and Germany. I have also taught at universities in the UK (FCE) as well at leading European financial institutions. I'm not limiting my search to any one type of language institute as I'd be happy to find an employer who felt my skills and experience suited their needs.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might check out teachaway.com to get an idea if your background and interests fit any of their positions. Also, TESOL Arabia should be updating their job fair page on their website fairly soon (http://tesolarabia.org/conference/).
Chaplin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But Nomad, doesn't Teachaway require a legitimate teaching license/certificate for its positions?

Chaplin: One catch would seem to be that Language Institutes/Schools in the UAE don't offer foreign hire contracts since they can local hire and pay no benefits and not bother with visas (normally spouses already there).

University level jobs normally require a related MA.

Have you done much teaching of Academic English and/or writing? If yes, HCT is one tertiary level institution that might consider you with your years of experience.

VS
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
But Nomad, doesn't Teachaway require a legitimate teaching license/certificate for its positions?

I suggested teachaway because they recruit for various types of TEFL jobs throughout the Gulf, including some university positions. In addition, the OP wasn't specific about what he/she has taught as well as the desired type of teaching situation, so checking out teachaway also gives a realistic picture of what his/her quals and experience can or cannot get. Anyway, Chaplin's best bet might be TESOL Arabia in March; Turkey is close enough for a quick flight into Dubai.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True... TESOL Arabia is the best option for those trying to get into the Gulf market.

But... just wanted to put up a "heads up" about the Teachaway requirements.

VS
Sir Better

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Transition from Turkey Reply with quote

If you had a DELTA you could walk into a good job right away. Without a Diploma, your options are limited and much less attractive.
What have you been doing for so long in Turkey without getting a Diploma? If you can find an intensive course, you can do it in 3 months. That would set you up well for TESOL Arabia etc. With your experience, you would be well placed to get something decent.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Better wrote:
What have you been doing for so long in Turkey without getting a (Delta)?

If you can find an intensive course, you can do it in 3 months. That would set you up well for TESOL Arabia etc. With your experience, you would be well placed to get something decent.

Your question is quite valid, Sir Better, especially since the market for TEFL jobs in the UAE is competitive. Plus, potential employers might just wonder the same thing about the OP, which could hinder his/her ability to land an interview. And this definitely isn't a question anyone wants to be asked during an interview.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: