Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

edit

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daveyboy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:59 am    Post subject: edit Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by Daveyboy on Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
deadlift

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For residents, the top rate is 35%, which kicks in at more than 80 mill VND per month, or around $4,000 USD.

http://www.pwc.com/en_VN/vn/publications/2012/assets/PwC_Vietnam_Vietnam_Pocket_Tax_Book_2012_English.pdf
Daveyboy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.

Are there any clever accountants who can help in this area or is it pretty hard to get around.
Rabbit81

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daveyboy wrote:
Thanks for the info.

Are there any clever accountants who can help in this area or is it pretty hard to get around.

I don't want to pry, but we need more details.

(You can PM me if you want.)

What can an account do? Lots of things.

But it depends on your company, your line of work (private biz, or employer)?

Some factors involved.

But, if you play this right and have the right relationships, you may be able to do something.

Also, are you sure your tax being "paid/taken out" is really going to the gov? Or, is it going into someone's pocket?
Jbhughes

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, as an employee your only real dealings with an accountant would just be to pick up the cash at the end of the month... accountants wouldn't really come into it (at least I've never heard of anyone hiring their own accountant to deal with their tax matters as an employee).

Further, it largely depends on the employer whether or not you'll pay tax and how much that'll be. The official residential system is based on a sliding scale, part of which deadlift quoted above... I have been quoted a flat rate of 10% by one of the foreign-owned companies - no-one has heard of this in any VN law, yet everyone just says 'yes' and pays it Rolling Eyes

IF you have a work permit with a particular company, then you can expect to pay the correct amount of taxes, well in theory. If you don't have a work permit, taxes could be fairly negotiable..

In all cases, there is no guarantee whatsoever that any tax you pay to your employer is going to go to the relevant government coffers and paying your own tax would likely difficult. I'm fairly sure that I've read on Dave's before that I'm not the only person to try to go to the tax office in person to sort it all out, only to be ushered back off to the employer.

As for working for yourself / your own company, absolutely no idea. It sounds like Rabbit81 will be able to offer a bit more advice in that direction.

As an open question to anyone - has anyone ever tried paying tax or getting a work permit for private work, such as 1-2-1 lesson etc?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: