Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jobs in out of the way places
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edbuch

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:35 am    Post subject: Jobs in out of the way places Reply with quote

Maybe I am different from other teachers in this forum, but the jobs no-one seems to want - out the way places, few foreigners, poor economy, little nightlife - do actually appeal to me. The reason is that I measure job satisfaction by the size of the contribution I can make. The poorer the area, the greater the contribution, in my opinion. Of course, this only applies to me, so if you don't agree, fine.

But surprisingly, I find it difficult to find something suitable. I am teaching in a university in Lanzhou now and might move in the spring. But most of the university jobs are in big cities and the ones that look appealing at first sight are often universities which are more like prison camps where the only pastime seems to be walking around the campus. I would prefer to work in a university as that is what I am used to.

I am sufficiently qualified and taught in the UK before I came here. But I am 57 years old and I noticed that one job which appealed to me would not take older people because it was in a highland area.

So if anyone knows anything, please let me know. University, backwoods, salary not important. Or should I be thinking out of the box? I have tried searching but no luck.
choudoufu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

look into the three-year vocational colleges. students will study at
the college for two years, followed by a one-year internship. the class
content, schedules, housing should all be similar to what you're used
to at the university. you can find vo-tec schools most anywhere.

many of the students will be from poorer regions. their english will
be......well....in many areas, chinese english teachers cannot speak
english. the kids have learned to (memorize) read and write, but
not to speak. you could be the first live foreigner they've encountered.
plenty of room to make significant contributions.
rogerwilco

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a high school in Lanzhou ?
A friend of mine used to teach in a high school in Lanzhou.
15 classes a week at 8.000RMB a month.
roadwalker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Jobs in out of the way places Reply with quote

edbuch wrote:
Maybe I am different from other teachers in this forum, but the jobs no-one seems to want - out the way places, few foreigners, poor economy, little nightlife - do actually appeal to me. The reason is that I measure job satisfaction by the size of the contribution I can make. The poorer the area, the greater the contribution, in my opinion. Of course, this only applies to me, so if you don't agree, fine.

But surprisingly, I find it difficult to find something suitable. I am teaching in a university in Lanzhou now and might move in the spring. But most of the university jobs are in big cities and the ones that look appealing at first sight are often universities which are more like prison camps where the only pastime seems to be walking around the campus. I would prefer to work in a university as that is what I am used to.

I am sufficiently qualified and taught in the UK before I came here. But I am 57 years old and I noticed that one job which appealed to me would not take older people because it was in a highland area.

So if anyone knows anything, please let me know. University, backwoods, salary not important. Or should I be thinking out of the box? I have tried searching but no luck.

Poor students generally have few outlets, unfortunately. Perhaps there are excursions going on that you aren't aware of, but most of the really poor (in resources) students I've known, focus on academics only and perhaps avoid awareness of the outer world. For many of them, the location of the school is irrelevant, in terms of social life.

OP, I hope you find a good match of a school, but many if not most universities have already moved from the cities or the further flung villages to the suburbs. And the rest will follow eventually or sooner. And poorer areas that do have tertiary schools may not have the know how or the money to hire foreigners.

What is a suitable alternative for you to walking around campus? Nature Parks/hiking? Historical areas? Music and museums? Observing daily routines of the masses? Something else? Perhaps you aren't inquiring enough of the students or Chinese teachers about what's available out there?
fred13331

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://en.chinatefl.com/TeachinChina/Teach/Introduction.aspx?eid=7878

Chinatefl is not a great site a lot of suspect jobs, but this one i can vouch for - I worked there 7 yrs ago, and am married to a local! The apartments are good. The classrooms shabby bit serviceable. Students keen and eager. It is very much out of the way. Usually only 2 to 4 Foreign teachers, and probably not another foreigner for miles around. Nearby Bengbu (30 mins drive) has carrefour etc, I used to go there once a week. The town itself is not great (dirty but improving) but the surrounding countryside has lots of interest. I go there once or twice a year for family stuff. If they offer you 6,000 ask for 7,000 - you will get it. Not good money but it goes a long way in the sticks. They find it hard to get teachers. Last time i was in town they had one (returning) Australian couple, that was all. They recently opened a new pedestrian street, coffee shops, etc, but no bars. Nearest bars with Draft beer are 2 to 3 hours train away!! This place claims to be the smallest city in China with a university
MisterButtkins

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I teach at such a school but I'm not giving info to some random person online. You just need to look harder. Try using a few recruiters and tell them you want to work in a small town. You can always turn down what they offer.

Also, if you really want to live in an out-of-the-way, less privileged area, you can't complain about the lack of entertainment options. At my school some of the students eat a .5 mao bowl of porridge and 2 baozi for lunch, totaling 1.5 yuan, because they can't afford the 5 yuan for fried rice. I had one student who worked in the cafeteria for 3 hours a day all month for 300 yuan so she had money to eat. Another student didn't go home for the summer because her parents couldn't afford to buy her a 100 yuan railway ticket and still have money to feed her.

You think they are building a movie theatre where tickets cost 70 kuai next to this place? Or a bar with 20 yuan drinks? Of course not.
fred13331

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MisterButtkins wrote:
1) I teach at such a school but I'm not giving info to some random person online. You just need to look harder. Try using a few recruiters and tell them you want to work in a small town. You can always turn down what they offer.

2) Also, if you really want to live in an out-of-the-way, less privileged area, you can't complain about the lack of entertainment options

3) You think they are building a movie theatre where tickets cost 70 kuai next to this place? Or a bar with 20 yuan drinks? Of course not.

1) Recruiters have baaaaaad reputations in China, so, some people seek assistance from the online community. Not really sure why you would post if the only reason was to say 'I am not going to help you''

2) Erm - who complained about the lack of entertainment options?

3) Again who suggested that?
Sumbo11

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand your desire to work in places off of the beaten path.

I haven't worked for this college, but it was recommended to me through a mutual friend:

Guizhou Forerunner College
http://www.forerunnercollege.com/en/
MisterButtkins

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fred13331 wrote:
MisterButtkins wrote:
1) I teach at such a school but I'm not giving info to some random person online. You just need to look harder. Try using a few recruiters and tell them you want to work in a small town. You can always turn down what they offer.

2) Also, if you really want to live in an out-of-the-way, less privileged area, you can't complain about the lack of entertainment options

3) You think they are building a movie theatre where tickets cost 70 kuai next to this place? Or a bar with 20 yuan drinks? Of course not.

1) Recruiters have baaaaaad reputations in China, so, some people seek assistance from the online community. Not really sure why you would post if the only reason was to say 'I am not going to help you''

Are you the OPs older brother or something? But since you asked:
Quote:
the only pastime seems to be walking around the campus

This is where the OP complained about entertainment options.
fred13331

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MisterButtkins wrote:
fred13331 wrote:
MisterButtkins wrote:

Are you the OPs older brother or something? But since you asked:
Quote:
the only pastime seems to be walking around the campus

This is where the OP complained about entertainment options.

' But most of the university jobs are in big cities and the ones that look appealing at first sight are often universities which are more like prison camps where the only pastime seems to be walking around the campus.''

His lament was not against rural campi as you indicated, rather against those which are ''prison like''.

Nice try though.

''Are you the OPs older brother or something''

No - what a silly question. Are you of the opinion that a third party cannot post an opinion on such a thread?
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

choudoufu wrote:
look into the three-year vocational colleges. students will study at
the college for two years, followed by a one-year internship. the class
content, schedules, housing should all be similar to what you're used
to at the university. you can find vo-tec schools most anywhere.

many of the students will be from poorer regions. their english will
be......well....in many areas, chinese english teachers cannot speak
english. the kids have learned to (memorize) read and write, but
not to speak. you could be the first live foreigner they've encountered.
plenty of room to make significant contributions.

I agree with this assessment as it matches my exp.
Most likely these students will be the first in their families to attempt tertiary education. I recall walking around campus one day when the freshmen were arriving - often with their families. The reaction to seeing a laowai up close, who asked them if they were new students was incredible. Eyeballing a few parents also paid dividends as it put me in a loco parentis situation if issues arose later.
Sure they soon succumb to the pleasures of being away from home but generally I find they have a better attitude than the too cool for school uni types I've taught.
rioux

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teach at Chenggong College. It's in Gong-Yi - about an hour and twenty minutes from Zhengzhou.
This is my first and most likely my only year here. It's just too remote for me.
5h09un

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

huanggang normal university in hubei. would probably suit you. there's a larger city about 30 minutes away right across the river and wuhan is about two and a half hours away by bus.
milkweedma

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been emailing Uni's in Xuzhou, Jiangsu province to get a job in that city without using a recruiter but to no avail cos their websites often don't have an FAO email. Is anyone out there teaching in the aforementioned city at a university, that can help out just with a contact email or recommendation?
edbuch

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

milkweedma wrote:
I've been emailing Uni's in Xuzhou, Jiangsu province to get a job in that city without using a recruiter but to no avail cos their websites often don't have an FAO email. Is anyone out there teaching in the aforementioned city at a university, that can help out just with a contact email or recommendation?

I have had the same problem. Can I suggest get the telephone number of the school from the website then ask a Chinese friend to telephone for the email. I am planning on doing that this week.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: