Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Traveling Latin America

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
endo

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 3:55 am    Post subject: Traveling Latin America Reply with quote

Sometime down the road i'm planning on visiting Latin America. I figure i'll have 3-4 months to do so and some of the countries i'm particulary interested in seeing are Mexico, Guatemela(Pyramids), Venezuela(Angel Falls), Brazil(beach life), Argentina, Bolivia(trekking), and Peru(Machu Pichu), and probably a few others).

With that said; I was hoping that somebody could give me a head's up on the best time of year to travel these countries (especially the two in bold print). Like I said, i'll have 3-4 months to travel so I would need a general time of year (i.e. April-July) or December-March)

Thanks, I appreciate it.
grahamb

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 9:41 am    Post subject: Best time to travel Reply with quote

If you haven't yet done so, try the Lonely Planet website.
moonraven

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need to go to Venezuela when it's not raining if you want to see Angel Falls and experience other elements of the Gran Sabana without wading through them. That means choosing the December-March option.
MELEE

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also like to recommend the lonely planet website which has a "when to go" section.
It also has a nice readable overview of all the countries, so you could narrow your list if you want.

Depending on how much money you have for flights, sounds like you could have two 3-4 month trips in mind. One of North-Central America (Mexico, Guetemala, etc.) and another in South America because these are mountainous regions and land travel takes a lot of time.

Ecuador-Peru-Bolivia-Chile would be a busy four month trip.

Sounds exciting, maybe I should go back to Asia so I can make enough money to go on a trip like that!!!

Best of Luck,
nomadder

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

High season in Peru and Bolivia is June to Aug. Less rain then. Rainy season in Mex and Guat is May to about Nov. South of Argentina is only doable December to March. Not sure about Venezuela. So you are probably looking at going in winter and getting stuck with some rain in Peru and Bolivia.
endo

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again everybody for your tips

hey nomadder, would you say that the best time to trek the Inca trail at Machu Pichu is during the high season?

Peru and Venezuela are the two places I want to visit the most, however, I don't want to visit either if i'm going to be immersed in rain. I wonder if I could do Venezuela in March, Brazil in May and Bolovia-Peru-Ecuador in June and July?
nomadder

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The high season has less rain. As said above you should check Lonely Planet. They have forum-thorntree. On it people say you need to book the trek a month ahead. I think I'll be doing the train.
moonraven

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other option is to go when you feel like it and take your chances. I spent some time in Venezuela in the Gran Sabana in the middle of November last year. There is usually still some rain then, but I was very lucky and had beautiful clear days with all the tepuis visible....
matttheboy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the best time to do the Inca trail is in mid september, just before the high season. At the beginning of the month an annual clean up is organised by the South Amercan Explorers`Club so there`s very little litter and the traveller traffic isn`t too bad. You can get rain at any time on the trail but January and February are the worst months.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: