Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

China sends 158 000 students to American unis yearly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wonderingjoesmith

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: China sends 158 000 students to American unis yearly Reply with quote

Quote:
Where do the foreign students come from? China sends the most, at 158,000, followed by India, South Korea, Saudi Arabia, and Canada. Saudi Arabia, with a 50 percent jump over the previous year, had the largest increase, thanks to a substantial new government scholarship program.

On the other hand, a growing number of China�s students in the US are being sent by families with the newfound financial ability to pay for an overseas university education. A growing number of those Chinese students are coming as undergraduates.

http://news.yahoo.com/us-colleges-especially-midwest-see-record-number-foreign-230404565.html
I mostly see brand new cars on streets in the country. Living costs and primary and secondary education in some major cities on mainland seem to be pretty high too. What baffles me is the uncomparably low local salaries. Even the Chinese president's apparently official salary of 11,000 Yuan monthly could not cover the growing trend. So, where's "the newfound financial ability to pay for an overseas university education" from? Am I missing something?
Javelin of Radiance

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah you're missing something. I don't know where you get the impression that everyone has "uncomparably low local salaries" but there are many Chinese with their own businesses these days who are turning a nice profit. Who do you think is benefiting from the hundreds of thousands of manufacturing jobs that fled North America for China? These factory owners, managers, distributors and exporters and those running spin-off businesses are some of the wealthier people who are sending kids abroad. There are other families who are less well to do but are willing to sacrifice a lot to send their son or daughter to a good foreign school. Just be thankful these students from China and India and every other country are helping keep our universities in the black by paying double and triple the local tuition fees.

If you want to be concerned about something be less concerned about how Chinese students can afford to attend our universities. Be more concerned that these students are filling up ever more slots in science, medicine and engineering in our universities while more of our own students opt for useless arts degrees.
Laoshi1950

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not only the US that Chinese students go to for university studies.

For 2011, the enrolment figures show that 159,691 Chinese students were working towards obtaining a university degree in Australia.
roadwalker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mostly see brand new cars because cars are a relatively recent phenomenon for the Chinese middle class, which is also a relatively new phenomenon. The used car market is just getting started, but now that China is the largest consumer nation for new cars, it won't be long before there will be abundant second-hand vehicles, purchased by families a little lower down the food chain.

I think it's good for our universities to have Chinese and other foreign students. Exposure to other cultures (as opposed to domestic 2nd or 3rd generation immigrants) is invaluable as an education. (As are useless art degrees.)
Simon in Suzhou

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere that it is estimated that more than 50% of the money changing hands in China is "gray money," which undocumented money under the table. When people talk about their salaries, they are usually being modest, i.e. lying like crazy.

If you teach at a university and you hear the Chinese teachers moaning about how they make less than the foreign teacher before they get into their BMW and drive home, you can be assured they are full of it. The same goes for government officials who easily make 20 times their "salary" illegally through bribes, etc. Last year there was a well-documented case of a Guangdong province official who lost millions gambling in one weekend in Macau while only making 6000 RMB a month! Yeah, you are DEFINITELY missing something.
wonderingjoesmith

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Javelin of Radiance wrote:
Yeah you're missing something. I don't know where you get the impression that everyone has "uncomparably low local salaries" but there are many Chinese with their own businesses these days who are turning a nice profit. Who do you think is benefiting from the hundreds of thousands of manufacturing jobs that fled North America for China? These factory owners, managers, distributors and exporters and those running spin-off businesses are some of the wealthier people who are sending kids abroad. There are other families who are less well to do but are willing to sacrifice a lot to send their son or daughter to a good foreign school. Just be thankful these students from China and India and every other country are helping keep our universities in the black by paying double and triple the local tuition fees.

If you want to be concerned about something be less concerned about how Chinese students can afford to attend our universities. Be more concerned that these students are filling up ever more slots in science, medicine and engineering in our universities while more of our own students opt for useless arts degrees.
I also hear and see locals give up so much for their kids and that there are many business people around, but I doubt there are as many and that so many turn such high profits nowadays. I realize this is a huge country and I still can't believe so many locals are that successful. What i have heard and seen in the country is that there are many bankrupt or insolvent businesses too.

Whether to be thankful or not for the double or triple tuition fees that foreign students pay remains to be seen. Is the money clean? Is the value of our education higher than 20-30 years ago? Are our students paying more today than 20-30 years ago because of the foreign students? Are our resources being run down for the foreign students? Those, in my opinion, are some of the questions to consider. I agree foreign students' money are an immediate relief for our governments, although I am not so certain it's the same for all of us.

What subjects students enrol in truly worries and being anxious over art vs medicine has a valid point. There's apparently a severe shortage of doctors in the US which actually may affect the country's health care system. My uneasiness goes over the substandard students who become doctors and who i may have to cope later on in my life there.
wonderingjoesmith

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon in Suzhou wrote:
I read somewhere that it is estimated that more than 50% of the money changing hands in China is "gray money," which undocumented money under the table. When people talk about their salaries, they are usually being modest, i.e. lying like crazy.
This is to be anxious about. In States, tax officers collect a lot more than in, say for example China. Are Americans in a disadvantage when it comes to a competition or even laws?
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What subjects students enrol in truly worries and being anxious over art vs medicine has a valid point. There's apparently a severe shortage of doctors in the US which actually may affect the country's health care system. My uneasiness goes over the substandard students who become doctors and who i may have to cope later on in my life there

I am guessing that you're concerned that the US university system will check out and confer licenses to practice on substandard students? So far as I can decipher, this wuold be not a criticism or concern related to Chinese students specifically, but to the US education system?

Quote:
This is to be anxious about. In States, tax officers collect a lot more than in, say for example China. Are Americans in a disadvantage when it comes to a competition or even laws?

Hmm. This IS to be anxious about. If it's a model for language being taught to students in China....

On topic, I can't comment about China but I do know a bit about US tax law....(by necessity). The US tax system generally penalizes the middle-income earner, particulary those who are self-employed, but they're pretty fair as regards how they tax US expats living abroad....It's entirely likely that the Obama administration will take some concrete steps to begin correcting the over-reliance on middle class taxpayers, I think.
wonderingjoesmith

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Quote:
What subjects students enrol in truly worries and being anxious over art vs medicine has a valid point. There's apparently a severe shortage of doctors in the US which actually may affect the country's health care system. My uneasiness goes over the substandard students who become doctors and who i may have to cope later on in my life there

I am guessing that you're concerned that the US university system will check out and confer licenses to practice on substandard students? So far as I can decipher, this wuold be not a criticism or concern related to Chinese students specifically, but to the US education system?
Correct! Seems few graduate which may have caused the lack of docs. Technically, students should return home but do they? Many Chinese are well off and many have used varieties of channels to settle in the US.
wonderingjoesmith

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Quote:

Hmm. This IS to be anxious about. If it's a model for language being taught to students in China....

On topic, I can't comment about China but I do know a bit about US tax law....(by necessity). The US tax system generally penalizes the middle-income earner, particulary those who are self-employed, but they're pretty fair as regards how they tax US expats living abroad....It's entirely likely that the Obama administration will take some concrete steps to begin correcting the over-reliance on middle class taxpayers, I think.
Not quite correct! This explication does not consider the overseas students who land with stacks of money in States and who bring their relatives along to settle. The subject is the ways incoming people to the country get to their wealth vs ways we do it. This certainly seems like an example for bread transfer although I have seen locals that respect the American educational system pretty much.
jibbs

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon in Suzhou wrote:

If you teach at a university and you hear the Chinese teachers moaning about how they make less than the foreign teacher before they get into their BMW and drive home, you can be assured they are full of it. The same goes for government officials who easily make 20 times their "salary" illegally through bribes, etc. Last year there was a well-documented case of a Guangdong province official who lost millions gambling in one weekend in Macau while only making 6000 RMB a month! Yeah, you are DEFINITELY missing something.

Yeah, I always find this odd. The locals have this ongoing myth about "the rich foreigner" when of course many of them are doing much better than the average foreign teacher.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: