Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

wanting to move to ankara and work

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sam12345

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: wanting to move to ankara and work Reply with quote

HI im an MBA in finance from an Islamic country, I have three years work experience in my field. Im looking to go to Turkey to more or les settle there. Any advice on how I can break into the English Teaching field? I'm not from a native English speaking country, but I speak the language fluently.Im young, very hardworking, and willing to start at the bottom. I was a professor's assistant at university, and taught college level students. I've taught GMAT/SATs privately too, so I do have some teaching experience, and I'm a great teacher.
Ofcourse, I would prefer to work in my field, finance ( i have experience), but I guess the chance of finding my first job (in Turkey) in that field is virtually zero? Any advice for me?
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you perchance Syrian? I live in Gaziantep, and every week my school gets a Syrian or two with an MA in TESOL, English, or some other related field. I have to explain that we can't hire them, because my company actually gets work permits for its employees, and the Y�K will only let companies bring in foreign English teachers if they have a passport from an Anglophone country. (What I don't mention to their face is that, while certainly quite good, usually their level of English is no better than our least-fluent Turkish teacher, and the Turkish teachers have the advantage of speaking the students' first language.)

Any rate, I'd say that your chances of getting a job teaching English in Turkey, as a non-native speaker without an English-related qualification, are less than zero, unless the "Islamic country" you come from is Azerbaijan or Turkmenistan. (Turks are willing to look the other way concerning immigration when other Turkish-speakers are concerned, but not so much for Arabs.)

If you are Syrian (or from any Arab country for that matter), I'd strongly recommend looking elsewhere for work. I suspect you'd have an easier job getting legal work in the US than in Turkey, given the very Turks are very vocally and unabashedly anti-Arab (at least in this part of Turkey), to a degree I could never have imagined if I hadn't seen it. In fact if you're from pretty much any Muslim country in Asia, with an MBA in finance, you would to better to look for a job in a Western country, where there's a high demand in many multinational companies for bilinguals in Arabic, Farsi, Urdu, and Indonesian. (If you're from Subsaharan Africa or Albania that's a different matter, unfortunately.) An MBA puts you in a far better position than the job-seekers I mentioned earlier, but not, unfortunately, in Turkey.

Regards,
~Q
sam12345

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply, I'm actually a Pakistani. I suppose the best way for me is to look for a job while I'm there in Turkey? Perhaps I will have a better chance once I settle there and make local friends (I want to move to Turkey for several personal reasons). I'm taking Turkish classes in order to learn the language.

I have lived in a native English speaking country, but I'm not a citizen, unfortunately.

Anyway, I guess I will just have to work really hard once I'm there in order to find a job. It doesn't even have to be English teaching, it can be a job teaching finance, economics, anything. Any advice you guys might have for me would be great!

Regards,
M
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: